Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bats!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84245 forum postsKarenFB vcard England161 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2009 - 8:29 AM

Does anyone out there know anything about bats?

Yesterday I noticed a Pipistrelle clinging to the north side of our house. Unfortunately the poor thing is still there this morning. It is breathing, but it's in reach of the farm cats and I'm afraid if it rains it'll get wet!

Should I move it? If so, where would be the best place?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Jul 2009 - 8:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlanPerkins
    25 Jul 2009 - 9:52 AM

I remember that a former colleague had to get a licence to handle pipistrelles - they're a protected species. It may be a good idea to contact the RSPCA and see what they have to say.

Sus
    Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2009 - 10:03 AM

The Bat Conservation Trust have a helpline on their website:

0845 1300 228

They would probably be better first port of call than the RSPCA as they specifically deal with bats.

http://www.bats.org.uk/

There is also a forum you can join

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/forum.html

(all new to me, haven't been on their webpage for a while!)

Good luck, off the top of my head I'd say don't worry about it getting wet, but if there is any way you can keep the cats away from it for a while, to give it a chance to recover, that would be a better option than moving it.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84245 forum postsKarenFB vcard England161 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2009 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the input! I shall try the BCT and see what they say! Smile

kaybee
    kaybee  103758 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2009 - 11:20 AM

They will say "Do No Touch"
    It is illegal to so much as touch any native bat without a licence

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jul 2009 - 11:28 AM

Jeremy Vine did a whole programe about bats once and you can't do anything to them at all, it's illegal, you can't move them, touch them or interfere in anyway with them.

There was a man who lived in a really old farmhouse and bats took over his entire loft to the point they were making his house unsafe and HE had to move out not the bats and obviously he couldn't sell his house either it was basically given over to the bats.

KarenFB
    25 Jul 2009 - 12:13 PM

Yes, I knew it's illegal to move them, but that's when you are REmoving them, not saving them from cats!! I went out to check on it and it has gone - hopefully back to the colony. Thank you everyone for giving me some input! Smile

leeroe
    leeroe  11230 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2009 - 12:22 PM

What sort of country do we live in ??? A man is oisted from his home because of flying mice ??

Preposterous to say the least

Lee

Last Modified By leeroe at 25 Jul 2009 - 12:22 PM
    mad-dogs
    mad-dogs  112201 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2009 - 12:26 PM

Call Batman on his Batphone!

Fishnet
    25 Jul 2009 - 12:53 PM

Quote: What sort of country do we live in ??? A man is oisted from his home because of flying mice ??

Preposterous to say the least

Lee

His wife had a complete break down, very sad. I just can't believe bats have such a right over people when it comes to people's houses!

KarenFB
    25 Jul 2009 - 12:57 PM

I agree! I wonder if the same rules and regs would be followed, if someone 'high up' with money were infested.

Fishnet
    25 Jul 2009 - 1:11 PM

Maybe Downing Street should 'suddenly' become infested with bats.....I have a cunning plan, mwaha-ha-ha-ha....

Cephus
    Cephus  92115 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2009 - 4:32 PM

Quote: Maybe Downing Street should 'suddenly' become infested with bats.....I have a cunning plan, mwaha-ha-ha-ha....

They'd change the law to suit their circumstances.
    After their holiday, of course.

leeroe
    leeroe  11230 forum posts England
    25 Jul 2009 - 4:48 PM

Quote: Maybe Downing Street should 'suddenly' become infested with bats.....I have a cunning plan, mwaha-ha-ha-ha....

I really did PMSL on this one....FANTASTIC !!! when do we start ?

Lee

User_Removed
    25 Jul 2009 - 8:53 PM

Just as an addendum to this. Bats carry Rabes. If you do have to handle one make sure you wear leather gloves to avoid the risk of being bitten.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.