Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bats

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    skewey
    skewey  731 forum posts England
    31 May 2012 - 9:36 PM

I have been watching a pair of Bats hunting over the hedgerow along side the brook.Any suggestions for photographing them or any past experience.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 May 2012 - 9:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 85789 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 9:46 PM

I don't even try - I just stand in my garden and watch them going round and round the house Smile

Hopefully someone will turn up with a more useful answer!

skewey
    31 May 2012 - 9:50 PM

They are so much like Swifts but in the dark.I imagine high speed flash required for flight shots.

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 85789 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 9:55 PM

I suppose I could try one evening as they do swoop right down into the garden - possibly because I have a small pond and there's usually clouds of midges at head level. It's hard trying not to duck though when they swoop in past my ears!

oldblokeh
    oldblokeh  2719 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

1-dsc-2171-2.jpg

A lot of luck and a short flash duration are required. This is my best effort and it's a small crop.

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  4244 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

I think you're only hope would be with a light trigger (is that what they're called? object breaks through a beam of light and that triggers the camera).

Would just be blind luck if the happen to fly through it though unless you can find out where their nest is and set it up at the entrance and get them flying out of it.

A12PHOTO
    A12PHOTO  4 United Kingdom
    31 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Get in touch with Spring watch on Beeb 2 am sure they could help.
    Pete.

oldblokeh
    31 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

They tend to patrol the same route repeatedly. Prefocus the camera. Set up manual flash with a short duration. Point the camera in the right direction and fire away when you see the bat. Oh, and stay away from the roost. Disturbing them there is illegal.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 31 May 2012 - 10:11 PM
    skewey
    31 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Yes I know I would only do Bats in flight.I already possess a Schedule 1 for Kingfishers as it is same principle .But the Bats are coming from a Barn about 400 metres away and two of them are using a hedgerow and swoop over my head at times

skewey
    31 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thanks Steve what sort of settings were you using

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102180 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

hmm i didnt think you could use flash for bats as its not good for them (apparently).... please correct me if i am wrong on this..

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Tried photographing some pipistrelle bats a few days ago. Very, very difficult: they fly fast and not that far off the ground, so by the time you've aimed the camera they're gone!

But some EPZers have succeeded - see here.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214378 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

I almost trod on one last summer, it was sat on the pavement in our town centre.

Scooped him up into a starbucks frap cup and left him in a flower basket near by.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 74167 forum postsKarenFB vcard England159 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jun 2012 - 7:24 AM

42656-1226501423.jpg

The closest I've ever been to a bat - yes, I know it's dead, but it was such an amazing creature!

oldblokeh
    1 Jun 2012 - 10:08 AM

Quote: Thanks Steve what sort of settings were you using

That was shot on a D90, 35mm at f/11 ISO 800 with, I think, either 1/4 or 1/8 power flash from a Nissin Di622.

I've not been able to find any authoritative source the warns against using flash. Nature comes up with her own powerful flashes, after all, and this bat did not seem to be at all put out or disturbed in any way.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.