Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Batteries

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Ray12
    Ray12 e2 Member 165 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:28 PM

On Saturday I am flying out to Nepal for a few months, I intend doing some trekking and at one stage of my trek I will be climbing to 5400mtrs, so the batteries will be getting cold, they say its best to keep them in your pocket or some where warm to preserve the power, do I just put the battery in my pocket or is it best to wrap it in some thing. Also I would like to know is if I see the power going down on the battery in the camera... swap it over to 1 that is warm so to speak then put the 1 from my camera in my pocket does it revitalise it?
    The other thing is, is there a way to tell the difference between lose of power through the effect of cold and just general use.
    Many thanks Ray

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 112926 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:56 PM

A sign of loss of power due to the cold can usually be detected by the how your battery performs in average temperatures.

If you are in a cold climate and the batteries are draining faster than usual that's the reason.

When I've been in really cold conditions I tend to swap the batteries when they show signs of getting low.

The idea is to keep the batteries that are not in your camera near to your body and the heat from it keeps them working longer.

Leaving them in an outside pocket would probably be a waste of time.

I tend to keep them inside a well insulated jacket and that usually does the trick.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 30 Apr 2013 - 6:00 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45779 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 5:58 PM

It will be enough to put it in a cloth bag and slip it into a pocket inside your jacket during the day and your sleeping bag at night - just remember that if you put it in your down jacket pocket and take the jacket off it may get cold again. Warming a cold battery will put some life back into it but not much. In my experience there is no way to tell the difference between losing power due to use and to the cold, other than it runs down quicker.

I was in Nepal for 6 weeks in 1991 with a Pentax ME Super and one pair of button batteries lasted me all the time I was there, plus another 3 months travelling in Asia. Battery life is one downside to digital cameras, especially so with MFTs whose battery life is barely 300 shots but otherwise make a great travel camera.
    Apparently many lodges now have charging facilities but have you considered a solar charger? You may also want to get into the discipline of minimal chimping, manual focus for scenic shots and no machine gunning

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014217 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

I've spent all day at -32C and managed with 2 batteries using a Nikon D70. I kept the battery not in use in my shirt pocket.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:11 PM

Quote: I've spent all day at -32C

And you're welcome to that Denny......I'll stay in the warm being the wussie that I am Tongue

StrayCat
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:19 PM

That was about 7 years ago Ade, I've softened up a bit since then.Blush

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 33385 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway22 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:49 PM

Quote: That was about 7 years ago Ade, I've softened up a bit since then.Blush

Softened up or thawed out?Grin

Malc

StrayCat
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:59 PM

Age takes its toll. Smile

lemmy
    lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Apr 2013 - 9:21 PM

Probably irrelevant but when out on the Alps photographing royals we used to keep one set of batteries in use and another in a pouch strapped to the inside of the armpit ans swap them regularly.

May be best to deodorize them at the end of the day!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.