Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Battery drain in camera - Canon 1dII

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2008 - 1:03 PM

Couple of weeks ago, I did a small shoot for a clients web site. I charged both batteries the day before and set off for the shoot. The battery in the camera was flat, so I used the spare, thinking it hadn't charged properly. Next day, the spare in the camera was flat. I've run some tests and basically if I leave a battery in the camera over a 12 hr period it drains to flat. And that's with the camera turned off. Anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it's not going to be an expensive / long repair.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Feb 2008 - 1:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

stuwhitt
    stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2008 - 1:17 PM

How about if you leave a battery outside the camera does it still hold its charge? My hunch is that its either the batteries are tired or the charger is faulty not fully charging the batteries.

HTH

Stu Smile

kit-monster
    kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Feb 2008 - 1:24 PM

Batteries left out of the camera are fine. I charged on and left it for a week and then used it for about 500 shots without a problem. I'm 90% sure it's the camera. I might try and borrow a new battery to test. This is only a recent and sudden problem.

Freefall
    Freefall e2 Member 10675 forum postsFreefall vcard United Kingdom
    27 Feb 2008 - 5:23 PM

I've got a 1D II and although the batteries slowly discharge over a period of time this is weeks rather than hours - sounds like the camera to me if the batteries hold charge outside of the body.

kit-monster
    28 Feb 2008 - 8:09 AM

Managed to borrow a battery yesterday afternoon and left it in the camera over night and the battery is flat. So definitely a camera problem. Dread to think how much it's going to cost to get fixed.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2008 - 8:21 AM

If the camera is OK for up to 12 hours - does it need a repair?

kit-monster
    28 Feb 2008 - 8:26 AM

I can live with it I guess. Depends how often I forget to take the battery out and have the spare charged. Work wise, it's fine as I do a check on everything the day before. I'm more concerned about the fun stuff at weekends and holidays.

strawman
    strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Feb 2008 - 10:04 AM

Is the little back up battery flat? Is it doing something silly like holding some circuits alive to keep the clock etc going.

I would change that battery first. If not can you live with just putting batteries in at the start of the job?

kit-monster
    28 Feb 2008 - 10:06 AM

Good point! That is a lot of power - something is going to get a bit hot internally. I think I better sort this asap in case it causes further damage. Last nights test was with a 24-70 with no IS. And I keep the camera in my bag with no lens after snapping the collar off a lens a couple of years ago.

kit-monster
    28 Feb 2008 - 10:07 AM

I'll check the little battery as well. Thanks.

Bridgelayer
    28 Feb 2008 - 10:13 PM

I had the same problem with an old Fuji 6900. I dont feel the need to have a DSLR, so have compromised with my Panasonic FZ50. No lens changing needed, but at least I don't have to whip the battery out after every short session, just to ensure I have enough life for the next one.
    I do have 4 batteries and it treats them all the same. The Pana, 3 days and 500 shots, No problem.

kit-monster
    9 Mar 2008 - 8:23 PM

Latest update . . . got back late from a day out - took the cards out but not the battery and uploaded them to my pc. Phone went, kids woke up, etc. etc. I forgot to take the battery out but I had left the door open to the cards. Next day, battery was fine - lots of juice and not flat. Well that was a week ago and I left the camera for four days with the battery in and the door open and the battery is fine. When you open the door and the camera is on, it powers off anyway. So I'm guessing that the circuitry that performs this operation is preventing the short circuit that's draining my battery. And this for me is a better workaround than removing the batteries.

carbonbianchi
    17 Mar 2008 - 12:37 PM

Whilst you seem comfortable leaving the card door open I have had the same problem with a 40D which is currently back with Canon for a fix. Reading through the DP Reviews forums it seems an intermittent problem and was an ocasional problem for 30D's as well. I didnt try leaving the door open with mine but tried different batteries, leaving the IS switched off, leaving the lens off totally etc to no avail. The problem with your 'fix' would seem to be that if you go out for a long day you will either have to leave the card door open in your bag, thus risking it becoming weakened or broken, or keeping the door closed and risking a loss of power as the day progresses. I would get it sorted.

samfurlong
    17 Mar 2008 - 3:14 PM

Update the firmware and all should be fine.
    It's a known issue on early firmware versions of this camera.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.