Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

battery grip

eddie1 e2
3 12 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2012 6:34PM
Hi, does anyone know if there is a battery grip out there to fit a Nikon D3100 that does not use a cable. I know Nikon dont make one and the ones ive seen come with an unsightly cable from the grip to the camera. Help please.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

aco012000 8 35 1
9 Feb 2012 7:27PM
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Feb 2012 8:01PM
The problem with third party grips for the D3100 & D5100 is the release ( Shutter Button ) ....!!!

They have mastered ( by backward engineering ) a means of using two batteries, But all seem to go cheap and have a cable to the accessory port, To fire the shutter as if it was connected to a wired remote cable, The fact that all the models currently available have the outside wire job, Is probably significant in that running a link to the cameras shutter mechanism via, What amounts to the battery compartment, May not be possible within the design of the camera, If it was just a case of putting a grip on with no external wire connections, I suspect that Nikon would have made available thier own version a long time ago.

At the end of the day, The el-cheapo items do provide extra battery space, The cameras are so small, That having a release button on the grip as well, Would be " Overkill " ....!

The one thing that concerns me is, Messing around with third party items that have a direct link to the power side of things, Could end in disaster with a " Fried " camera, That will not be covered by Nikon warranty wise, Same applies to using third party cheapo batteries.

The item linked to does not show a wire, But I suspect you'll find it has one, Just like all the others......!!!!!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.