Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Battery Grips for a Nikon D3000

Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2012 6:26PM
Hi all

I was thinking about getting a battery grip for my Nikon D3000,i have found out nikon dont do one,so i would have to buy a 3rd party one that would fit my camera could you give me some advice,pro's and con's

Thanks,Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
13 Feb 2012 7:21PM
Don't know the D3000, but if Nikon don't do a battery grip for it, that suggests that the camera is not designed to take one and there would be no way of fitting it.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Feb 2012 9:40PM
There are third party battery grips for the D3000, Like this one .....Smile

Pros and cons, None really, The grip gives you more available battery power without changing batteries, A vertical shutter button, A bit more camera to get hold of too.

Downside to any third party items, They may not be as well made as a Nikon item, But for the limited functions they offer, Should do the job, Double check the tripod mounting point, If and or when you mount your camera fitted with grip to a tripod, Usually these things are OK, Just take note on the weight if your using a big lens, That does not have its own tripod collar.

These D3000 grips are so cheap, You really can't go wrong.....Wink
Ian White e2
12 177 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2012 7:05AM
Thank you both very much,i'll have a look and see what i think very good point about weight and tripod mount

Thanks again,Ian
timbo e2
12 592 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2012 9:49AM
I don't see how that grip would work on the D3000 as there are no contacts to communicate with the camera. The D3000 wasn't designed to take a grip.
EddieAC e2
10 696 2 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2012 10:59AM
Third party battery grips often use a work arounds whereby the grip's shutter button triggers the camera to fire through the infra red remote function.

Also some are using cables from the grip to camera as discussed Here.
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Feb 2012 12:26PM

Quote:The D3000 wasn't designed to take a grip.

Like my pet car was not designed to have " Twin Side Draught Webber Carbs " .....Oh! But it does.....Wink

That is as maybe, But there are many many 3rd party grips out there for the D3000 and other models, ie: D3100, D5000, D5100, There is also a great many people with interest in having a grip for these camera models, Backed up by a tidal wave of " YouTube " videos, Showing the 3rd part grips fitted and in action.....!!!!!!!!!

So lets see what do the third party grips offer....?

First they make the camera easier to hold for those with big paws......Smile

Next up is running two batteries, I don't see that as a major advantage myself, It only takes a few seconds to change a battery anyhow.....!!!

The vertical shutter button can for some be a great advantage, Though with such a small camera I don't see that as a must have myself......Grin

Some ( camera brand & model dependant ) offer remote shooting, The ability to use " AA " rechargeable batteries, Etc etc, So take your pick as to what they offer, If its a facility you desire/Need.......Grin

The mere fact that Nikon " Failed " to see a potential market for a battery grip on these models, Has not prevented the 3rd party market from capitalising on this " Mistake ".....Grin Grin Smile

Would I use a 3rd party grip MMMmmm, If a makers own grip was not available, Maybe, If the product stood up to some scrutiny in the quality department, The big question is really do I want one in the first place, My personal answer would probably be no, But then I'm old school and don't find not having a grip a problem....Smile

Some though according to thier YouTube productions, Only want a grip because it makes these smaller DSLR bodies " Look The Part " ......LOL....Grin

What part that is, Could be anyones guess, But its a case of whatever " Floats Your Boat "......Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.