Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

BBC Tabloid Mentality Coming Of Age?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
jondf
jondf  72470 forum posts
5 Mar 2013 - 11:14 AM

Some recent headlines.....note how one of the most important news items (imo) 'UK lagging in Euro health league' comes near the bottom of the pile -

Batman brings in suspect to police
Robot warriors: Lethal machines coming of age
Boos as Bieber goes on stage late
Long-lost ring 'found on carrot'
Girl 'woke up naked with two men in bed'
Bieber manager: Grammys 'blew it'
UK 'lagging in Europe health league'
Pom-poms 'help reduce fear of crime'

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Mar 2013 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier
Dave_Collier e2 Member 8236 forum postsDave_Collier vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 11:25 AM

The listing you have given is the popularity of the stories with the site readers and not that of the importance put on them by the BBC. The Lost ring on a carrot story is also an old one dating back to December 2011.

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 11:39 AM

The most important or the most positive news item (IMHO) is the jobs being created at Jaguar..........................health news is a daily negative occurrence...........it is designed to keep people on edge..........the media drive this country down daily...........SadSadSadSad

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 11:53 AM

Quote: The Lost ring on a carrot story is also an old one dating back to December 2011.

I noticed that. Although I thought the same as you regards popularity, I find it hard to envisage an old article like that resurfacing.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 12:06 PM

Re the Media driving the country down, on that particular story I would disagree, it is a factual comparison of us against the rest of Europe and by comparison we on average eat too much junk food, smoke and drink too much, do not exercise enough and are overweight. So no surprise we have a higher rate of early life death. Perhaps a change in how we focus our resources might help. Perhaps in 20 years time the Olympic legacy may help, or it may not.

As a recovering couch potatoes I am amazed at how much difference getting more exercise in has made to me.

As for the priority of the popular stories, that tells you something about the typical reader of the web site and their interests.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 12:10 PM

Quote: it is a factual comparison of us against the rest of Europe

That may be so, but as with so many statistics it is being deliberately looked at from the wrong viewpoint in order to provide sensationalist (negative) stories.

Living in the UK does not make you more prone to an early death, abusing junk food, drink and drugs do. It just so happens that we currently have more people who do that than the per capita count in the rest of Europe.

I am sure if you look at the average ages across Europe, amongst those with a balanced lifestyle, you will find they are pretty similar and more likely to be seasonally effected by weather.

Ian

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 12:12 PM

On the Beeb in general, they pretty much hit rock bottom years ago when the top story on News at 10 was whether Lady Di's nipple was showing, an item which took about 5 minutes of the half hour. Since then they have been bouncing along the bottom, stirring up the mud as they go.

thewilliam
5 Mar 2013 - 12:22 PM

Now that the most popular newspapapers require a reading age of 7 or 8, the BBC needs to sink to that level if it wants to appeal to the majority.

digicammad
5 Mar 2013 - 12:56 PM

Maybe they would get a pleasant surprise if they stopped trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Sad

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 12:59 PM

Quote: Batman brings in suspect to police
Robot warriors: Lethal machines coming of age
Boos as Bieber goes on stage late
Long-lost ring 'found on carrot'
Girl 'woke up naked with two men in bed'
Bieber manager: Grammys 'blew it'
UK 'lagging in Europe health league'
Pom-poms 'help reduce fear of crime'

OMG they booed Justin Bieber! shocking-dark.jpg sad-dark.jpg

biggrin-dark.jpg

spaceman
spaceman  105159 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 6:18 PM

And for two consecutive days their main story concerned an old lady with an upset stomach.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122042 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Mar 2013 - 6:56 PM

As I said to my wife, "So she's got the squits, so what! I'm sure she's delighted the rest of the world knows!"

Robert_Malcolm
5 Mar 2013 - 10:31 PM

HM - "One's arse is the colour of a cherry and one wears one's wartime respirator to go to the lavatory."

PP - "I've been calling her Cabbage for years, but now she smells like an off one."

BBC - Are they still going? I haven't watched TV for ages (except DVD box sets of great US drama when on holiday)

Last Modified By Robert_Malcolm at 5 Mar 2013 - 10:31 PM
jondf
jondf  72470 forum posts
6 Mar 2013 - 2:44 PM

Quote: As for the priority of the popular stories, that tells you something about the typical reader of the web site and their interests.

Well yes but they can only popularize what's fed to them. I despair of the general mentality surrounding news production which seems to be on the basis of easy, casual reading with little or no intellectual content.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2013 - 1:18 PM

Quote: Well yes but they can only popularize what's fed to them. I despair of the general mentality surrounding news production which seems to be on the basis of easy, casual reading with little or no intellectual content.

I agree. The BBC disgust me: Apparently, if you complain to the BBC Trust (in some cases at least) your complaints are censored by an intermediate committee which may well prevent your complaint from even reaching the Trust. Even if your complaint receives a reply your are likely to receive an explanation that isn't enough to satsify a 6 year old child: For example, presenter Kirsty Wark asked an ideologically-loaded question about the West 'exporting democracy': when someone complained, Helen Boaden, then BBC News director, sent e-mails to the complainer with six pages of attached quotes from Bush and Blair supposedly proving their benign intentions behind invading Iraq!
So, are the over-paid top elite in the BBC extremely naive, unprincipled and contemptuous of the masses...or just plain stupid...?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.