Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

BBC Tabloid Mentality Coming Of Age?

thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
10 Mar 2013 3:53PM
Reminds me of the Ministry of Truth in Orwell's 1984.

Over the centuries, dictators have learned that once the common people have grown used to a diet of overt propaganda, they'll believe pretty much anything.

The only thing Orwell got wrong was the date!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
10 Mar 2013 4:18PM

Quote:Reminds me of the Ministry of Truth in Orwell's 1984.

Over the centuries, dictators have learned that once the common people have grown used to a diet of overt propaganda, they'll believe pretty much anything.

The only thing Orwell got wrong was the date!

Absolutely! Look at the way Chavez has been demonized by almost all the Western media - even after his recent death.
Chavez, I'm sure he was no saint, but I reckon he was fundamentally a decent human being, especially for a presidentWink.
What is conveniently overlooked by the media is the fact that he has improved the conditions of many if not most of the poor in Venezuela. He is described as a dictator but he was elected 'fair and square'. Maybe he started to act a bit like a dictator but he had to contend with some nasty elements among the rich US backed opposition who couldn't stand the thought of loosing some of their wealth to the poor masses. He fought with immense courage, the arrogance and callous self-serving motives of the US.
jondf e2
8 2.7k
10 Mar 2013 10:17PM

Quote: ....I reckon he was fundamentally a decent human being

Didn't know too much about Chevez but stuff I'd heard seemed to paint him in a bad light.

Yet because of his death, I've seen a lot more of him on news bulletins and You Tube and must say he comes across as having been a decent bloke.
thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
11 Mar 2013 12:48PM
Chavez was unusual in that he was determined that all his countrymen, especially the poorest, should benefit from the oil wealth.

In contrast, the Arabs built their gold-plated palaces, Thatcher just squandered the North Sea oil wealth. The Norwegians invested wisely and re-vamped their infrastructure.

The gap between rich and poor is wider than ever in the western nations. Our government was anxious to bail out the banks whereas they let so many other industries collapse.

Nobody gets everything right but Chavez certainly did some good.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Mar 2013 1:12PM
The main thing about Chavez I remember is how he was publicly told to shut up by King Juan Carlos, after Chavez said nasty things about a former Spanish PM at a conference.

It became a YouTube hit and, also a rap song, I believe! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.