Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Beginner, Enthusiast, Semi-Pro, Pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2010 - 9:35 PM

I class myself as an enthusiast but if anyone here wants to buy some prints off me I will call myself a semi-pro Smile
Steve

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Sep 2010 - 9:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Coles
20 Sep 2010 - 10:23 PM

I am frustrated.....more lenses, new camera, lessons or go on a processing course. Sad

Saying that I saw my next door neighbours wedding shots on Saturday.. I was shocked - and as i had been drinking with him for a few hours I told it like it was...done by a cowboy I said and who must have processed them blindfold - and the guy got paid for it....shocking - gotta be a law against that and if he classed himself as a semi or pro I want to be the next Pope !

Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Sep 2010 - 10:13 AM

Well put,Andy.
Sums photographers up in a nutshell.

I started out as a semi-pro until I entered Fleet Street as a professional in the late 1950s and then continued in the media until I retired.

I hardly changed my Rollei and flash in the early days,run it into the ground and it still worked.Only later did I change to 35mm.Cameras don't come into your thoughts during this period-you are worried about other things.

It was a 24-hour day which never stopped,I never married,I would have been divorced within a short space of time.You become a slave to the camera,work takes over,the outside world doesn't exist.Friends few,and those would be fellow journalist.

A true professional must be a slave driver.

FrankRobinson
24 Sep 2010 - 12:47 PM

In the skydiving world there are three major categories:

Whuffos (wha fo you jump from dat airplane?! ie. Non-jumpers)
Virgins (learners)
Whores (experienced and never miss an opportunity to have a paid for jump)

There are almost no professionals since there is no real money in the sport. Perhaps photography should come up with something similar?

Last Modified By FrankRobinson at 24 Sep 2010 - 12:57 PM
clicknimagine
26 Sep 2010 - 7:54 PM

i am a curious photographer, i doubt i belongs to any category...

i do not know why PRO category is considered as the highest category, which is rather the poorest of all, to me they do not try to make a photograph rather they try to make a money making machine, LOL...

clicknimagine
26 Sep 2010 - 8:12 PM

Quote: I am a curious photographer

Ooops! sorry it should be read as a curious tog...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315324 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 8:52 PM

I`d call myself a beginner, life`s a state of flux and there`s always more to learn, I hate labels.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 10:32 PM

I don't think I'll ever stop learning - there are so many new techniques etc that I'll never catch up!

I don't have a label...

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 11:07 PM

Quote: I don't have a label...

Really?? There are a few (complimentary ones I would attach to you!) .................................Smile.but I do agree with your never stop learning bit!!SmileSmile

Ben

Last Modified By Scutter at 26 Sep 2010 - 11:09 PM
Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 11:13 PM

Mine says "Shrink Proof" Wink

No Shrink has ever been able to fathom me out! WinkWinkWink

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 11:20 PM

[quote]No Shrink has ever been able to fathom me out! WinkWinkWink[/quote

.........................nor anyone on here Jas!!GrinGrinSmileSmileSmileSmileTongueTongueTongue

Just Jas
26 Sep 2010 - 11:25 PM

Quote: ........nor anyone on here Jas!!

Glad I'm amongst like minded people! Grin

Scutter
26 Sep 2010 - 11:27 PM

LOL .......................TongueTongue

Scutter
26 Sep 2010 - 11:43 PM

Jas, I've just noticed an uncanny resemblance between our avatars!! Mine is just missing the bow tie!!SmileSmileSmile

Just Jas
26 Sep 2010 - 11:53 PM

Bow ties, 10p down Petticoat Lane on Sunday mornings! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.