Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Beginner, Enthusiast, Semi-Pro, Pro

Steve_S e2
9 176 3 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2010 9:35PM
I class myself as an enthusiast but if anyone here wants to buy some prints off me I will call myself a semi-pro Smile
Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Alan_Coles e2
9 176 11 Wales
20 Sep 2010 10:23PM
I am frustrated.....more lenses, new camera, lessons or go on a processing course. Sad

Saying that I saw my next door neighbours wedding shots on Saturday.. I was shocked - and as i had been drinking with him for a few hours I told it like it was...done by a cowboy I said and who must have processed them blindfold - and the guy got paid for it....shocking - gotta be a law against that and if he classed himself as a semi or pro I want to be the next Pope !
Graflex e2
11 488 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2010 10:13AM
Well put,Andy.
Sums photographers up in a nutshell.

I started out as a semi-pro until I entered Fleet Street as a professional in the late 1950s and then continued in the media until I retired.

I hardly changed my Rollei and flash in the early days,run it into the ground and it still worked.Only later did I change to 35mm.Cameras don't come into your thoughts during this period-you are worried about other things.

It was a 24-hour day which never stopped,I never married,I would have been divorced within a short space of time.You become a slave to the camera,work takes over,the outside world doesn't exist.Friends few,and those would be fellow journalist.

A true professional must be a slave driver.
24 Sep 2010 12:47PM
In the skydiving world there are three major categories:

Whuffos (wha fo you jump from dat airplane?! ie. Non-jumpers)
Virgins (learners)
Whores (experienced and never miss an opportunity to have a paid for jump)

There are almost no professionals since there is no real money in the sport. Perhaps photography should come up with something similar?
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
26 Sep 2010 7:54PM
i am a curious photographer, i doubt i belongs to any category...

i do not know why PRO category is considered as the highest category, which is rather the poorest of all, to me they do not try to make a photograph rather they try to make a money making machine, LOL...
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
26 Sep 2010 8:12PM

Quote:I am a curious photographer

Ooops! sorry it should be read as a curious tog...
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Sep 2010 8:52PM
I`d call myself a beginner, life`s a state of flux and there`s always more to learn, I hate labels.
KathyW e2
11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
26 Sep 2010 10:32PM
I don't think I'll ever stop learning - there are so many new techniques etc that I'll never catch up!

I don't have a label...
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2010 11:07PM

Quote:I don't have a label...

Really?? There are a few (complimentary ones I would attach to you!) .................................Smile.but I do agree with your never stop learning bit!!SmileSmile

Ben
26 Sep 2010 11:13PM
Mine says "Shrink Proof" Wink

No Shrink has ever been able to fathom me out! WinkWinkWink
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2010 11:20PM

Quote:No Shrink has ever been able to fathom me out! WinkWinkWink[/quote

.........................nor anyone on here Jas!!GrinGrinSmileSmileSmileSmileTongueTongueTongue

26 Sep 2010 11:25PM

Quote:........nor anyone on here Jas!!

Glad I'm amongst like minded people! Grin
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2010 11:27PM
LOL .......................TongueTongue
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2010 11:43PM
Jas, I've just noticed an uncanny resemblance between our avatars!! Mine is just missing the bow tie!!SmileSmileSmile
26 Sep 2010 11:53PM
Bow ties, 10p down Petticoat Lane on Sunday mornings! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.