Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Beginner, Enthusiast, Semi-Pro, Pro

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

clicknimagine
27 Sep 2010 - 6:47 AM

very interesting discussion is going on here in this thread, if you try to categorize the level of photographers, one broad category should be created first as STUDENT, each and every photographer belong to this category,

if you try to sub divide this category, three levels you can see, one is novice who are learning the basics of photography, the second one is basic who are learning advanced photography but know the basics, third/the last one is advanced who have learned advanced photography in respect to one/some particular genre/s of photography and trying to develop new ideas regarding that genre or trying to learn about other genres of photography...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Sep 2010 - 6:47 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2010 - 8:30 AM

I'M not anything.....I have no "label" im good but not UBER good, im not bad but i have crap days... Should i be "amatuer,semi-pro,pro etc etc"...? NO! is my answer. im just a man who thoroughly enjoys the art of photography and the enjoyment my shots bring to me and others.. have I sold any?...yes...Does it pay my way? no the gear out cost ANY income i have made sofar..... now think for yourself....If its a business you run.. then surely you MUST have a label to sell...for the average "joe" ..does it matteR?

matt.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2010 - 2:59 PM

I think I'm somewhere between advanced beginner and accidental intermediate photographically speaking - Which is to say I don't count myself as a full beginner, but that many of my better shots are slightly more accidental than application of specific known factors. Happily I'm slowly improving on the latter and having fewer accidents and more deliberate success.

However within my chosen areas of interest I also have wildlife to consider where I think I fit into the category of - total beginner - . And this is making a far slower advance - one day one day (ps what are the prices on squirrel workshops these days Tongue)

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104039 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
27 Sep 2010 - 3:07 PM

Semi-pro according to the Inland Revenue, and sometimes "all the gear no idea" when I look at my monitor Grin

TrevW
TrevW  4117 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Sep 2010 - 10:36 AM

Well I'm not a pro as I haven't ever sold any pictures. I don't think I'm a beginner because I reckon I can take better pics than those awful holiday snaps that friends and family show you. I understand the technical side of photography - to a point Smile. I just don't know what sticky label to put on my forehead. What do you reckon? Are any of my pics worthy of any sales?? I don't know. I'm not confident enough in that department. I'm very critcal of my work and looking at some of the other members pics, I can see what standards I've yet to achieve, so I've still got some way to go.

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102260 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 12:39 PM

Quote: Well I'm not a pro as I haven't ever sold any pictures. I don't think I'm a beginner because I reckon I can take better pics than those awful holiday snaps that friends and family show you. I understand the technical side of photography - to a point Smile. I just don't know what sticky label to put on my forehead. What do you reckon? Are any of my pics worthy of any sales?? I don't know. I'm not confident enough in that department. I'm very critcal of my work and looking at some of the other members pics, I can see what standards I've yet to achieve, so I've still got some way to go.

I think your pics are pretty good and if I can assume they still look good when blown up big, then I think they are semi-pro standard. I can see that you pay plenty of attention to good composition, and use your creative skills.
Just keep going, I say...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314965 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 4:07 PM

Quote: I don't think I'm a beginner because I reckon I can take better pics than those awful holiday snaps that friends and family show you

I don`t think you can always gage some ones skill level by the quality of work they produce. Found myself pretty much gobs smacked by the quality my youngest daughter was able to produce with very basic knowledge. Me thinking it must have been just a fluke seeing a few snaps she grabed of me, with my camera + lensbaby.

She had never used a dslr before, let alone a lensbaby, so gave her a spare dslr to play with and she continues to surprise me.

Beginners can be naturals and produce good work.

First lensbaby, second off camera flash in a field, no stands so she held the flash out in her left hand.

2-p5301145.jpg

p6253349.jpg

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 4:33 PM

Quote:
I don`t think you can always gage some ones skill level by the quality of work they produce. Found myself pretty much gobs smacked by the quality my youngest daughter was able to produce with very basic knowledge.

I've found the very same thing not just with beginners but people who have been shooting for ages who don't know what they are doing; they just sort of know how and shoot and get great results; whilst on the flipside there are those who know every in an out of a camera and composition and still fail to deliver in their photography.

Alan_Coles
28 Sep 2010 - 6:43 PM

My son came out with me once or twice and starting shooting with my old bridge camera (Canon S3i) He took what I thought was amazing pics for someone who hadn't picked up a camera before... ? Jackattack Sadly, it was a whim and his young head is more interested in other stuff Sad

clicknimagine
28 Sep 2010 - 7:30 PM

Thanks for providing the link, your son has done a really brilliant job, i like the image...

zapar40
zapar40  466 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
28 Sep 2010 - 10:35 PM

i am a learning enthusiast, hoping one day to be a semi pro, i think a Beginner is a learning enthusiast just starting out, (we all started at sometime.) and i think a pro is a learning enthusiast thats had a few more years experience and has put in a lot of extra work to make a sale.
there are a lot of enthusiasts out there that do not sell as they are in it for personal enjoyment yet they produce better pictures than some pro's.
as for a status, and to give ourselves a lable then i liked the aformentiond fact that we are all PHOTOGRAPHERS just at different stages in life.
on this site we are all Enthusiasts, if not we would be on a different site.

what is an enthusiast....someone that spends a lot of time interested in a particular subject, wether they are good or bad.
others say they like my photos which is always good encouragement and thats why a lot of us are on this site. ( for the encouragement )

ckristoff
ckristoff  9936 forum posts Wales
29 Sep 2010 - 10:02 PM

Hmmmm........... If I'm an enthusiast, why do I still act like a beginner? Grin

Frank.

Kris_Dutson
29 Sep 2010 - 10:22 PM

All my income comes from photography and I run my own photography business so by definition I'm a pro.

Still learnig 'tho and all the time new techniques, software etc. come along, then I'll never stop learning.

I teach too 'tho, so it's not all take. Wink

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 29 Sep 2010 - 10:23 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.