Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Beginner looking for a decent tutorial

12 Nov 2012 6:41PM
Hi

I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix P7700 with the intention of moving along from point and click.
I chose it as it's compact but has manual controls, flip out screen and.. err.. it felt nice.
I also picked up a Giottos tripod.
I have the full Adobe Creative Suite.

I cook and mix cocktails and would love to take photographs which do them justice but I want to photograph outdoors as well.

Can anyone recommend a tutorial video I can either watch online, download or order from Amazon which would get me started?
I vaguely understand what aperture and shutter speed do but have no idea how to put them into practice, do I stand close and zoom out, further away and zoom in, what the hell does ISO mean?
I'm not looking for answers here, but a friendly tutorial would get me started.

One quick question, am I wasting my time and disk space shooting raw images at this stage?

Thanks in advance!
Geoff/HeebyGeeby

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
12 Nov 2012 7:39PM
Geoff. Just simply learn the exposure triangle of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The best way to do this is buy Understanding Exposure book from Amazon by Bryan Peterson.

Read this and your camera manual and understand the camera functions and this will give you all the knowledge you'll need to get correct exposures for any given circumstance or creative intention you will have.

A book is always better than a tutorial as well I think as you can use it better for reference.

Practice in JPEG untill you are comfortable with your camera operation and functions, experiment with loads of situations and just delete the practice shots.

Good luck, I want one of them P7700s as well BTW.
phil1963 e2
2 265 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 8:07PM
Karl Taylor tutorials, its free to subscribe to and you can also buy dvd's
http://www.karltaylorphotography.co.uk/free-photography-tips-tutorials.htm
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2012 11:06PM
Go to Youtube. Theres literally thousands of tutorials and videos which are all FREE. I have quite a few articles on my PC, but its dead at the moment, as my CPU has died on me and Im waiting for a replacement from Intel. Ill gladly download some tutorials I have written for my beginners workshop clients when my PC is up and running.
Stephen
12 Nov 2012 11:15PM
Thanks guys!

John, I'll order that book.
The camera manual (supplied on disk) is not good. It's a functional guide, and not a good one. Shame on Nikon, given who they claim to aim this camera at, it could have been much better.
The model is too new for specific third party handbooks but I guess they'll come with time. There is one in German...

Phil, I've signed up to the free tutorial, it's certainly a good start.

Stephen, your help is much appreciated, thank you sir. Buy a Mac Smile

Many thanks again gents.
Geoff
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
13 Nov 2012 7:43AM
http://nikonsupport.eu/europe/Manuals/p7700/p7700rm_en_01.pdf

Geoff, try this PDF manual. It was linked by LenShepherd in another thread about the P7700 in the forums. It is the full manual and may help you.

JP
Scutter e2
7 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
13 Nov 2012 8:32AM
.......and of course there are loads of tutorials & techniques to explore right here on EPZ Smile
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
13 Nov 2012 8:35AM
I usually do do a search on Google of whatever it is I'm trying to achieve at the time when I get stuck, usually works if I input the correct syntax into the search engine...

Ade Grin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
13 Nov 2012 9:00AM
I would say we now have the largest mix of tutorials on the web thanks to the editorial team who've been uploading daily. So you can now learn basic camera mode stuff like understanding apertures, focusing, metering etc through to advanced techniques.
The easiest way to use our site as a beginner is to select a beginner series first.
Try these

Beginner's Guide 1 - Why you need Shutter Speeds and Apertures for more than just exposure.
Beginner's Guide 2 - Manual Exposure made Easy.
Beginner's Guide 3 - Get creative with Apertures to control Depth of Field.
Beginner's Guide 4 - Get creative with Shutter Speed to freeze or blur motion.
Beginner's Guide 5 - Using ISO to get the shutter Speed or Aperture you need.
Beginner's Guide 6 - Make an image look the way you want by understanding Focal Length.

Then as you find words that you don't understand use the site search and you will find articles that assist. If you prefer to learn by video we have a large collection of helpful tutorials on Channel 1 of ePHOTOzine.tv
13 Nov 2012 1:20PM
Thanks Pete, those are exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.
I found mike-browne-explains-manual-exposure-2132 which is bang on for me.

I actually ordered Mike's DVD course last night.

Thanks guys, these are all great tips, loving the site.

Rgds
Geoff
14 Nov 2012 5:59AM

Quote:Geoff. Just simply learn the exposure triangle of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. The best way to do this is buy Understanding Exposure book from Amazon by Bryan Peterson.

I have and love that book, it really helped me when I first started. Other bookshops sell it too, including bookshops like Waterstones which actually pay their tax Wink .

The EPZ tutorials are great, but personally I like books because I find the high quality printed images inspiring.

Don't get overwhelmed, Geoff. Some people overcomplicate, but the basic 'triangle of exposure' is really pretty simple, a couple of days playing around and you'll soon understand it all. I mean, it takes years to really understand every aspect of exposure, but just to learn how to set your camera is pretty simple. Set yourself a time limit of two days to get to grips with these aspects and take your first series of manual exposures (remember Parkinson's law!)

Quote:One quick question, am I wasting my time and disk space shooting raw images at this stage?

Yes, probably. My general rule is that if I spend a while composing a shot and I think its going to be a really good one, something to print out large someday, I shoot raw. If you're just experimenting with exposure or taking general pictures, then shoot JPEG, it'll save you time and there won't be much difference.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.