Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

belittling people

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 10:46 PM

Quote: Knowing what is wrong with an image is the path to getting right

Its a part of the path, but its a bit like being told "where ever you want to get to, I wouldn't start from here" Wink

A problem with being told what is wrong without an indication of ideas for improvement is
how do you know if the person telling you what is wrong knows what they are talking about?

It can be made worse of course if the "Critic" doesn't post any images to show that they may do so

If ideas for improvement are given at least its possible to try them out and see if they work for you

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2013 - 10:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2013 - 11:03 PM

Quote: where ever you want to get to, I wouldn't start from here"

I always thought that was good advice. Wink

MediumSizeUnavailable

Quote: Knowing what is wrong with an image is the path to getting right. There may be more than one way to do that.

oh, the force is strong within you Obi Wan Keithobi Tongue

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 12:14 AM

Quote: It can be made worse of course if the "Critic" doesn't post any images to show that they may do so

I disagree with this sentiment. You don't have to have a portfolio to have an opinion.

I am no great painter, but I have a good idea of what good art is in a wide variety of genres. Not being able to do something yourself does not stop good critique, and a portfolio on here is not always a good indication of a person's photographic ability. How many art critics are artists themselves?

In addition, someone with no photographic knowledge can still give an indication as to why they think a picture fails, for them. An emotional response is as important as technical ability in most cases.

Nick

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 12:27 AM

Quote: It can be made worse of course if the "Critic" doesn't post any images to show that they may do so

does that mean it makes it harder to do "revenge" comments about their photos Wink

Robinsons
Robinsons  1 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2013 - 1:05 AM

does that mean it makes it harder to do "revenge" comments about their photos Wink

I feel this would just lower your own intentions ,i mean to get involved in" revenge" comments , i personally comment on very few shots unless i truely like them . if i dont i leave it to people with far more knowledge to critic and be able to back that up ..Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014406 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 2:39 AM

Sure, I get a few comments and votes, but what about the thousands of members who don't respond?Tongue

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 7:18 AM

Quote: How many art critics are artists themselves

Probably very few and it shows in the value of their judgements! Wink

Much in the way the best films / TV progs are usually the ones that the "Critics" slag off

what a strange view of life you must have Ade (or am I just too naive, even at my age? Grin )

Last Modified By brian1208 at 20 Feb 2013 - 7:19 AM
Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41174 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 9:19 AM

Quote: Much in the way the best films / TV progs are usually the ones that the "Critics" slag off

In your opinion.
But maybe not in terms of production quality/acting/lighting/direction/camerawork/editing/music score or story? Ie the things that they may be judging by are different to whether or not they just enjoyed it?

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 9:33 AM

Quote: what a strange view of life you must have Ade

being normal must suck Brian.... Wink

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 9:36 AM

Quote: Much in the way the best films / TV progs are usually the ones that the "Critics" slag off

Quote: In your opinion.
But maybe not in terms of production quality/acting/lighting/direction/camerawork/editing/music score or story? Ie the things that they may be judging by are different to whether or not they just enjoyed it?

I don't know but I can think of quite a few examples where critical opinion is in tune with public opinion - 'Black Mirror' and 'Utopia' for two. However, critics generally review a wide range of programmes/films, some of which will inevitably fall towards the 'arty' (minority) end of the scale and others will have wider appeal.

I can only go by the reviews I personally have read but I see no direct correlation between critical acclaim and minority audiences.

Last Modified By joolsb at 20 Feb 2013 - 9:38 AM
brian1208
20 Feb 2013 - 9:45 AM

by definition, as is the majority of input here Grin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman  114484 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 10:05 AM

Isn't that all a criticism is, just one man/woman's opinion???Wink

brian1208
20 Feb 2013 - 10:25 AM

Isn't that all a criticism is, just one man/woman's opinion???Wink

"You could say that but I couldn't possible comment"

to misquote Yes Minister Grin

whereas a Critique can be defined as:

Quote: A detailed analysis and assessment of something

mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2013 - 10:36 AM

The meaning of critique can be easily defined...the scope within which you are critiquing though is surely personal and therefore subjective, and as a result always open for debate or criticism by others.

If we all had the same 5 criteria for example that we were critiquing against, there would be greater parity and potentially less misunderstandings...but we're not, we're judging simply by what we individually see, and we all have our own 'maps of the world' unique to ourselves (NLP reference) which in turn means conflict of opinions.

The challenge for us all is to take a step back, remove the 'emotional aspect' from how we interpret a comment, and then make a more pragmatic analysis on whether or not it is a valid piece of advice. And if unsure, ask the question direct to the individual via PM!

Chris

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.