Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Bell & Howell

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnnyboy114
    14 Nov 2008 - 6:51 PM

Hi

Does anyone know anything about Bell & Howell lenses? I found one on eBay (I know, I know, not a good idea, but credit crunch and all that....) that LOOKS pretty nice, but I had never heard of them. I looked them up and apparantly they used to do cine camera lenses and were highly regarded a while ago, but were later taken over by a conglomerate and they eventually just became a brand. But I can't find anything out about the actual image quality, the build, longevity etc etc....

Any info on these lenses would be much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Nov 2008 - 6:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

I'd shy well away from this.

As you say they were regarded as cine and projectionists experts but don't know of any great lenses they ever made.

If you're looking to save money on lenses, I'd look at old Vivitar lenses before I'd consider a B&H.

johnnyboy114
    14 Nov 2008 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I'd shy well away from this.

As you say they were regarded as cine and projectionists experts but don't know of any great lenses they ever made.

If you're looking to save money on lenses, I'd look at old Vivitar lenses before I'd consider a B&H.

Right oh, I had a feeling they wouldn't be top notch. Thanks for confirming this. Oh well, back to searching.....

randomrubble
    15 Nov 2008 - 8:34 PM

Hmm, depends how old it is. They were the US importer of Canon cameras in the 60s and in the 70s some variants of canon kit was branded as Bell & Howell for the US Market. So they have had some good quality stuff under the brand name in the more distant past.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2008 - 9:15 PM

i had one maney moons ago it was the old FD mount. i think i had it on a d70 now i am giving away my age.

colin beeley
    colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2008 - 9:16 PM

i had one maney moons ago it was the old FD mount. i think i had it on a t70 now i am giving away my age.

colin beeley
    15 Nov 2008 - 9:17 PM

link

johnnyboy114
    16 Nov 2008 - 3:50 PM

Quote: Hmm, depends how old it is. They were the US importer of Canon cameras in the 60s and in the 70s some variants of canon kit was branded as Bell & Howell for the US Market. So they have had some good quality stuff under the brand name in the more distant past.

Hi again

So, do you reckon this one might be any good? I have no idea of age and the pictures make it look nice and clean, comes with a guarantee.....I am not sure what to do now to be honest. Hmmmm.....

My get out was that if its not what I wanted, I could always relist it on eBay again and probably make my money back......

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.