Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Bell & Howell

johnnyboy114 6 231 106 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2008 6:51PM
Hi

Does anyone know anything about Bell & Howell lenses? I found one on eBay (I know, I know, not a good idea, but credit crunch and all that....) that LOOKS pretty nice, but I had never heard of them. I looked them up and apparantly they used to do cine camera lenses and were highly regarded a while ago, but were later taken over by a conglomerate and they eventually just became a brand. But I can't find anything out about the actual image quality, the build, longevity etc etc....

Any info on these lenses would be much appreciated, thanks!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours 10 2.6k 2 Scotland
14 Nov 2008 7:40PM
I'd shy well away from this.

As you say they were regarded as cine and projectionists experts but don't know of any great lenses they ever made.

If you're looking to save money on lenses, I'd look at old Vivitar lenses before I'd consider a B&H.
14 Nov 2008 8:29PM

Quote:I'd shy well away from this.

As you say they were regarded as cine and projectionists experts but don't know of any great lenses they ever made.

If you're looking to save money on lenses, I'd look at old Vivitar lenses before I'd consider a B&H.

Right oh, I had a feeling they wouldn't be top notch. Thanks for confirming this. Oh well, back to searching.....
randomrubble 10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2008 8:34PM
Hmm, depends how old it is. They were the US importer of Canon cameras in the 60s and in the 70s some variants of canon kit was branded as Bell & Howell for the US Market. So they have had some good quality stuff under the brand name in the more distant past.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
15 Nov 2008 9:15PM
i had one maney moons ago it was the old FD mount. i think i had it on a d70 now i am giving away my age.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
15 Nov 2008 9:16PM
i had one maney moons ago it was the old FD mount. i think i had it on a t70 now i am giving away my age.
colin beeley e2
12 1.1k 10 England
15 Nov 2008 9:17PM
16 Nov 2008 3:50PM

Quote:Hmm, depends how old it is. They were the US importer of Canon cameras in the 60s and in the 70s some variants of canon kit was branded as Bell & Howell for the US Market. So they have had some good quality stuff under the brand name in the more distant past.

Hi again

So, do you reckon this one might be any good? I have no idea of age and the pictures make it look nice and clean, comes with a guarantee.....I am not sure what to do now to be honest. Hmmmm.....

My get out was that if its not what I wanted, I could always relist it on eBay again and probably make my money back......

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.