Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Berlin

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 9:12 AM

Have been thinking of going to Berlin.
    Don't really have much clue, but I gathered that East Berlin is the one to go to?
    So, I would like a bit of recommendations of which area to stay, hotel, where to go etc etc.
    Budget for hotel is probably no more than 50 per night per double room.
    Cheers.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Mar 2013 - 9:12 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ryanair seem to be the cheapest for flights. Saturday April 6th from Stanstead to Berlin and return on Tuesday April 9th for 2 adults cost 163.98. Have not looked at other months and dates, so could more or less. On booking.com there's this hotel. MEININGER Hotel Berlin Hauptbahnhof. 2 adults for the dates is 178.60.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Stephen.
    I am fine with flight. Just need recommendation from personal experience on other aspects.
    Cheers!

LesF
    LesF e2 Member 7175 forum postsLesF vcard 8 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 10:52 AM

Stayed February 2011 here Cole, cheap and the underground is just outside

http://www.meininger-hotels.com/en/hotels/berlin/prenzlauer-berg/

Some of the history is close together around the Brandenburg Gate area like parts of the old wall the jewish memorial, Bundestag, Helmut Newton Gallery etc etc etc

There is a good app for your iPad called "Cool Berlin" thats pretty good about various things to see and do, hope that helps a little Cole, looks like I'm your travel consultant yet again LOL

LesF

KevSB
    KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 11:20 AM

Not sure if berlin is the specific place you had in mind but another city to consider in germany is Munich, Has such a wealth of historical places to visit and great place with so much to photograph, Berlin has much more modern History where Munich retains alot of its culture

pentaxpete
    6 Mar 2013 - 12:03 PM

I went to BERLIN care of Her Majesty's ARMY in 1956 -- the Eastern Sector was still in ruins with people living in holes in the ground except 'Stalin Allee' where the East German coach trip went -- the road there was one built-up road but all the ruind I glimpsed at teh back -- the East German Authorities did not allow us to get out there -- we were taken to the Russian War Memorial Gardens where there were blocks of concrete from Hitler's Bunker used to carve scenes or war and destruction on them --- here is the Reichstag --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/3085224232/

RoyBoy
    RoyBoy  9168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Mar 2013 - 12:20 PM

I spent newly two years of my life working and living in Berlin Monday to Friday. This began about two years after the wall came down. My biggest disappointment was that I was not into photography then because I saw some amazing sights.

There has been a lot of new development since then of course and much has changed. What I can tell you is that East Berlin is photographically MUCH more intersting than the west. Coincidentally my office was in Prenzlauerberg, and I note that LesF has flagged up an hotel there.

The area from the Brandenberg gate, with the Reichstag nearby, is the place to start and then explore the area from this runnning down Unter Den Linden towards Alexanderplatz and Prenzlauerberg beyond. The historic buildings are very interesting, as is the Checkpoint Charlie Museum and many other things. It was and I assume remains a great place for people and street photography.

The Tiergarden (which is the park running from the Brandnberg Gate towards the West) can also be a very intersting place to take photographs. I well remember drining to work one Saturday morning during the summer. The park was quite busy with whole families out for the day enjoying themselves. BBQ's were set up (can you see them allowing that in London) and everyone from Grannie and Grandad were out with families. It was interesting to see men and women, men and men, women and women laying on the grass completely naked and sunbathing in a spread-eagle fashion with kids running around here and there playing football and the like. None took a blind bit of notice, given the German's very open view on nudity. As I said, I was not into photography then and I don't know there views were you to get up close and say "smile for the camera please".

Better not risk it ....go to the zoo instead. This is also in the park!

Enjoy
    Roy

scottishphototours

Take the fat tire bike tour, rated #1 Berlin attraction on tripadvisor. Absolutely the best way to see the sights!!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.