Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best 24 MP DSLR today? Waterproof? Need help please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keeptrustalways

Hi there,

I just joined today and have been using the Samsung 16 MP PL170. I am in need of more megapixels and am looking for a 24 MP DSLR. All help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Sep 2013 - 12:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ray12
Ray12 e2 Member 171 forum postsRay12 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2013 - 12:56 PM

Look at the Sony A77 Grin

Jat_Riski
Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
7 Sep 2013 - 1:00 PM

Nikon D800E.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73815 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2013 - 1:12 PM

Why the need for more MP? Are you looking to produce poster size prints?

keeptrustalways

Just reading reviews of the Sony A77. Very impressive so far and will look at the Nikon 800E after that.

Yes, I will be producing poster sized prints, My current camera falls very short....

Bogwoppett
Bogwoppett e2 Member 8Bogwoppett vcard United Kingdom
7 Sep 2013 - 1:27 PM

It's not just about the pixels. I am currently looking at a bigger than poster sized print from a 12.1 MP camera (Canon G15) and it does not look inferior or lacking in any way.
For a more complete picture (ho ho!) I'd suggest a review of sensor types and performance, and lenses fitted or available.
It might prove more revealing than a simple pixel-race.

I hope you get the right camera.
good luck!

keeptrustalways

Both cameras have great specs and reviews.

Sony sounds noisy at low light levels but great all round otherwise.

Nikon sounds special but a bit pricey for me right now....

thinking now.... Wink

keeptrustalways

I mostly shoot wildlife and nature of all kinds. I do like a lot of detail at macro levels and also in my landscapes.

I do shoot at low light levels a fair bit and use bins and a telescope for astronomy shots as well.

Macro shots also a fave of mine....

Looking for a camera I can live with for a few years without wanting to trade up too soon.

I really would like the Sony but the negative low light review making me think deeply....

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73815 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2013 - 2:08 PM

Well for astro the D800E will win hands down, as it doesn't have a AA filter. The AA filter blurs very fine detail (faint stars). The downside you can get moire patterns in clothing and some architectural shots ( both LR & Capture NX2 can easily remove).

The high ISO performance on the D800e is stunning (if its the same as the D800).

There are downsides of more MP, it's far less forgiving of technique, defraction is visible at F11, and very noticeable at F16. Any movement, camera or subject is noticeable, so if handholding you really must have great technique. That's not the fault of the camera, it's only resolving the detail you wouldn't see at 12-16mp (if you downsize it's ok).

One thing to consider is the lenses you pair with the camera, Nikon have a much wider range both their own and third party.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 7 Sep 2013 - 2:14 PM
uzi9mm
uzi9mm  378 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Sep 2013 - 2:10 PM

the only other option is Nikon d5200 or d7100 both 24mp and good reviews.

Steppenwolf
7 Sep 2013 - 3:40 PM

Quote:
Sony sounds noisy at low light levels but great all round otherwise.

It's not. It'll shoot ISO3200 without problems most of the time - just like most other modern APS-C cameras. The way that the reviewers measure noise tends to discriminate against high Mp cameras - they usually don't resize images so they always look noisier than lower Mp cameras.

But it sounds a bit simplistic to define your requirement as "a 24Mp DSLR". There are so many other things to consider - like do you even want a DSLR? (The Sony A77 isn't actually a DSLR it's an SLT). What aspect of the DSLR do you want that rules out a CSC for example? Do you like its OVF? Or maybe you like its better focus tracking - although it's no better than SLTs or those CSCs that have PDAF. DSLRs also have several drawbacks (like focus issues because of the remote AF sensor) and mirror shake (which is becoming a more significant factor with the very high definition sensors now available). The OVF also has a lot of disadvantages when compared with a modern EVF - which would take too long to go into. Why do you want 24Mp? It's helpful if you want to crop your image (e.g. in telephoto work) or if you want to print very large, but for most people it's not really an advantage.

There are now alternatives to the DSLR if you want a high quality camera with interchangeable lenses. Most people will be better off with one of the alternatives. Unless there's a definite reason why you want a 24Mp DSLR I'd start again with a blank sheet of paper.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Sep 2013 - 3:55 PM

I dont think you could go far wrong with the Canon 5Dmk2 Full Frame 21 mp will do posters in its sleep and handles everything very well, plus if you look around you can pick one up for less than 1k. Simples. Plus its waterproof to the extent i have used them in the pouring rain , its built like a tank and many many options for lenses.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 7 Sep 2013 - 3:58 PM
keeptrustalways

Wow! Thank you so much for all the info.

Nick_w and Steppenwolf especially, you have invited me to re-think what I really want in a camera and yes, I am indeed researching further and going back to a blank sheet.

I may well stick to the lower 16 MP and not sure if I will get a DSLR or not.

I do like the reviews for the Sony A77.

So much to think about, I thank you all very much....will let you know how it goes....

Susan

Graysta
Graysta  91133 forum posts England
7 Sep 2013 - 5:40 PM

Quote: Nikon D800E.

36mp

D600?

Last Modified By Graysta at 7 Sep 2013 - 5:41 PM
Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
7 Sep 2013 - 7:08 PM

Quote: Well for astro the D800E will win hands down, as it doesn't have a AA filter.

Folk Myth!!

Yes the D800E DOES have an AA filter - but it also has an additional filter to compensate.

Quote: Why the need for more MP? Are you looking to produce poster size prints?

There are many other reasons for seeking higher Mp sensors. From my perspective, post-exposure photo processing is essentially data processing - so the greater the amount of data you have available, the more creative your processing can be. I never print larger than A3+ but I am hugely enjoying the incredible versatility the 45Mb Raw files from my D800 and D800E cameras give me.

But, as always, horses for courses.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.