Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Affordable Telephoto Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SebastianSpiteri

Hi there,

Beginning to search the web for a couple of good yet affordable telephoto lenses.

I have found a couple but would like some first-hand experience/advice regarding this sort of lens.

The camera i'm planning to use with the lens is a Nikon D3200.

Thanks

Sebastian

Any help will be greatly appreciated Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Mar 2013 - 3:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul_Anthony
26 Mar 2013 - 3:50 PM

Whats your budget?

Will it stretch to this ? if so then it's a good buy...

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2013 - 3:57 PM

Quote: Whats your budget?

Will it stretch to this ? if so then it's a good buy...

Budget is indeed a very good question,

But a 50-150 isnt really getting to near telephoto unless you like a walk to the given subjectWink

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Mar 2013 - 4:01 PM

What focal range do you want and what sort of photography is it for? As an example, the Sigma range includes 70-300, 120-400 and the 150-500 and all get very good reviews. Tamron make a similar range but are not as widely available.

SebastianSpiteri

Thanks for the quick replies Smile

Quote: Whats your budget?

Well i'm planning to spend between £200-300, so this would be way over budget but thanks Paul_Anthony. Smile

For the focal range maybe 50-300 if i can go to lets say 50-400/450 that would be marvellous especially if I can stay in my budget.

Thanks,

Sebastian

SteveHunter
26 Mar 2013 - 6:05 PM

Realistically for that price you are probably going to be looking at the 70 - 300 range. Going much longer starts to get expensive.

There are a few lenses around in that range but you want to get the best you can afford.

My advice would be to get something second hand like this.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lense...

This has the benefit of Image Stabilisation, and USM focussing, so fast and quiet focussing. The image quality from this will probably be the best you will get in that price range.

llareggub
llareggub  3656 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Mar 2013 - 8:34 AM

I've just purchased the Tamron 70-300 VC USD (used for 225gbp), excellent piece of kit, sharp, relatively fast to focus and has an fantastic Image Stabilisation system. The weather here is awful at the moment so not getting out with it much but no problem for me to handhold at 1/100th second at 300mmm and usually I need to go higher than the typical 1.6 X Focal Length adage to get a steady shot.

thewilliam
27 Mar 2013 - 10:25 AM

Check out the offerings from Samyang.

These are a whole lot better than the price would suggest but I've only seen manual focus. They do an 8mm fisheye up to a 650-1300mm zoom.

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2013 - 11:20 PM

Sebastian, I have bought last year an old nikkor 80-200 2.8 AF, the oldest version that is.
It is fantastic, a wonderful all-rounder that I use for all sorts of things, flowers, candids roadworks landscape and portraits. It clearly puts the 70-300 vr I had before to shameWink
Mike Otley here recommended it and I can't say enough how grateful I am .. Spent about 300quid including an original polariser. If you have time look on .bay around Europe you'll find one.

Last Modified By annettep38 at 27 Mar 2013 - 11:21 PM
lufc62
lufc62  4 England
29 Mar 2013 - 9:47 AM

Would the nikkor 80-200 be any any good for airshows ???? capturing moving jets that sort of thing.
or what sort of lense would anyone recommend,with a small budget i too have the nikon d3200 and am pretty new to a dslr having only had this for a couple of months after using the panasonic fz32 bridge camera
please help...Blush

Last Modified By lufc62 at 29 Mar 2013 - 9:51 AM
Railcam
Railcam  7463 forum posts Scotland
29 Mar 2013 - 5:56 PM

Quote: My advice would be to get something second hand like this.

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-lenses/used-canon-fit-lense...

This has the benefit of Image Stabilisation, and USM focussing, so fast and quiet focussing. The image quality from this will probably be the best you will get in that price range.

The OP specified he was using a Nikon D3200 Sad

I use the Nikon equivalent and very good it is too.

SebastianSpiteri

Thank you for all the advice Smile

annettep38
annettep38 e2 Member 3186 forum postsannettep38 vcard France30 Constructive Critique Points
30 Mar 2013 - 12:10 AM

Lufc,
YES!. works well for all sorts of stuff. Please look in Mike Otley's PF or my PF Smile

llareggub
llareggub  3656 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Mar 2013 - 7:38 AM

Here are my first impressions of the Tamron 70-300 VC USD http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/tamron-70-300mm-vc-usd-first-impressions/

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
30 Mar 2013 - 12:17 PM

Most of the replies above are suggesting zoom lenses.

However, if you are on a tight budget, then an older prime telephoto might be the answer.

When I was checking eBay a couple of months ago, I found a Nikon 400mm f/4 manual focus lens selling for under £300 (the modern equivalent would be well over £1000). If auto-focus is not important to you, then a lens like that might give you a better telephoto capacity for the money than a zoom. Bear in mind that it's not all that long since we all focussed manually all of the time and never thought twice about it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.