Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best all round lens??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    neil75
    neil75  425 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Oct 2009 - 2:22 PM

Hi, I have only recently purchased a Canon Eos 450d, after a long interest in photography i finally decided to do something about it and purchased the camera with kit lens. I was just looking at buying another lens for it and have been blown away by the different types available all of which mean very little to a novice like myself. Can anyone advise on a decent, affordable all round lens ?? Looking for something that can get decent shots of the family, the odd landscape shot and a bit of zoom for the wildlife shots. Is there such a varied lens on the market

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Oct 2009 - 2:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StephenBrighton

50mm

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2009 - 2:36 PM

Depends on your budget really.

Canon 24-70 F2.8 + Canon 70-200 F2.8

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 5 Oct 2009 - 2:37 PM
    Metalhead
    Metalhead  61863 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2009 - 2:38 PM

At this point most people ask about your budget. Are you selling the kit lens to fund the new purchase?

For about 230 I upgraded my Canon kit lens to a Sigma 17-70. It has a max aperture of f/2.8 at the wide end (17mm) increasing to f/4.5 at the 70mm end, but it can focus as close as 20cm from the sensor plane across the whole zoom range, so zoomed in at the 70mm end you can focus on something just in front of the lens! A very capable "all rounder" that rarely leaves my 400D.

You'll lose the Image Stabiliser (assuming you've got the IS model 18-55mm) with the Sigma. If that's an issue, Canon do the 17-85mm model with IS built-in. Pricier than the Sigma 17-70, but both have many fans.

Might be an idea keeping your kit lens and getting the basics of your new camera before jumping in buying a new lens though.

thewilliam
    5 Oct 2009 - 3:18 PM

Most of the best lenses won't fit Canon anyway. Lenses tend to be "best" or "affordable" but not both!

One range that will fit is the Zeiss prime offerings.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 5 Oct 2009 - 3:20 PM
    Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  5534 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Oct 2009 - 3:27 PM

Quote: For about 230 I upgraded my Canon kit lens to a Sigma 17-70

Thats another thumbs up for the Sigma 17-70mm from me! Got mine earlier this year (Second hand for 160!) and its never off my 400D. A real decent all rounder!

EleanorMaw
    5 Oct 2009 - 5:34 PM

I tend to use a 10-24mm on a Nikon D5000 & a 70-300mm on my Nikon D200 on a days photographic trip, sometimes I just take the Nikon D5000 with just a 24-120mm although I found this lens not so good for landscapes, better as a town lens.

miptog
    miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2009 - 5:50 PM

Neil. go back to basics:

In what way is the Kit lens not meeting your needs. Knowing this will give you an indication of the lens you need.

Quote: Looking for something that can get decent shots of the family, the odd landscape shot and a bit of zoom for the wildlife shots. Is there such a varied lens on the market

From the above description, perhaps something like and 18-200 will meet your initial needs. Generally these are great "walk-a-about" lens, and used by many as the only lens they would take travelling when they need to travel light.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Oct 2009 - 6:12 PM

Its all about comprimises Neil, 1 body and lens is great for a bit of everything and a kit lens does not really have a wide enough range for a bit of everything.
    So if using only one lens is your aim - maybe the 18-270 from tamron.
    But then you will gradually start to notice distortion, softness and lack of light.
    So then you'll need another lens, maybe a 70-200 f2.8 for more light and sharpness.
    Then another for wide angle 10-22mm,
    Then another for macro.... it never really stops.

I like StephenBrighton's 50mm as it forces you to move around to get the shot you need, its bright & sharp, and with photostitching can give you landscapes.

If you have a spare grand i'd also look at the canon 24-105mm, but until then the Tamron may be a good bet.

For my 400d I got in order 17-85mm, 70-300, 10-20 sigma, 70mm Macro, 50mm F1.8, 2x TC.
    Now skint i'm still hoping for a FF body, 24-105, 100-400, 85mm F1.8 etc.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.