Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best CD/DVD burner software?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 7324 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 3:30 PM

I've just removed Sonic DLE/DLA from my PC (Windows XP SP3) after becoming fed up with its clunkiness and other peculiarities. I was about to try a free download of Nero when I came across some horror story reviews of Nero Platinum 10, the latest version, which appear to suggest that this'll bloat up your machine, and once the software is on it's an absolute bugger to get it off. I've also read that Nero's customer service totally sucks.

I always thought that Nero was the dog's b*llocks. I fully appreciate that some people will never be happy with whatever they use, but I've now seen too many negative user reviews of this product for comfort. But what do I know?

All I want is something that will let me back up photo files to or from CD or DVD, then let me make burned media compatible for use in other PCs - end of. I have separate software for HD video editing and making slide shows.

What's the best advice, please? As always, any help you more experienced guys can give me will be most welcome. Thanks.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2011 - 3:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 3:38 PM

I have always used Nero and never had problems with it. Never bothered with buying a full version, the OEM version which came with my machine has always been perfectly adequate.

Mind you, half the time the people who complain about bloatware just allow the installer to put everything on, whether they need it or not. I always do custom installs and specify what I do and don't want.

Ian

Metalhead
Metalhead  61862 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 3:49 PM

I'm still on Nero Premium 7 or whatever it's called. Premier or Premium... Never felt the need to upgrade to newer versions and it works fine for my needs...

When I hit a problem a while which I thought was software related, I used a freebie called "ImgBurn". You can alter just about every setting under the sun to your liking, and it gives you really detailed feedback and progress reports should something go wrong with the burn.

My problem turned out to be a faulty IDE cable, not the software after all, so I still use ImgBurn or Nero 7 mutually.

maroondah
maroondah  10239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 5:01 PM

Nero is fine for me. Never had any issues. Its the free version.
Gerry

Jestertheclown

I use Nero 9, the freebie, to write to DVDs and I've had no problems.
I write to CDs (R and RW) using "Windows" own thingy, again with no problems.
I'm also using XP SP3.

cameracat
cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 6:06 PM

Roxio Creator 2011, Not the Pro version.

The single most complete DVD/R/RW suite for all the things you are ever likely to want Compact Disc wise....Smile

Nero Grin Well I'm glad a few of you manage to live with it......!!! Having tried many times to get on with Nero, I came to the conclusion it was " Crap " backed up by " Crap " customer services, " Crap " updates, To say it was " Pants " would be a crime against a useful piece of clothing.....Smile

Roxio Creator on the other hand is fantastic, I have just burned 25 data DVD's, Using a mix of disc types/brands on several different CD/DVD/RW drives ie: Sony/Pioneer/Samsung and Plextor, Not one single disc write fail, I don't have a pile of coasters laying around either.....Tongue

In the days when I used Nero I'd be lucky to get 1 disc in 5 burn properly.....Sad

Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 4 Apr 2011 - 6:09 PM
davereet
davereet e2 Member 9185 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
4 Apr 2011 - 6:06 PM

I use Deepburner its free and is quite small and works for me.
http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

Dave

lawbert
lawbert  71640 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 6:54 PM

Maybe a bit off topic but plenty of peeps knock dells but they come with Roxio Creator installed...Both my Dells and Roxio Creator work superblySmile

Bridgelayer
4 Apr 2011 - 7:19 PM

I use Ashampoo now, in preference to Nero.(I can't get on with it). I know earlier versions of Nero conflicted with windows media player and Roxio.

kitz
kitz  780 forum posts
4 Apr 2011 - 8:11 PM

Padus Discjuggler

MrGoatsmilk
4 Apr 2011 - 8:19 PM

Nerolite is free and good for just data to disc

jimthistle73
4 Apr 2011 - 8:24 PM

I use the paid for version of Nero ( I needed to burn Lightscibe DVDs painlessly) and it works flawlessly. Cost me about 40 IIRC, as above ^^^ custom install. I won a copy of Roxio Creator and liked it very much, but got shot of it when it interfered with my album design software (known issue with FotoFusion).

jrfoto
jrfoto  7 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2011 - 9:17 PM

I got Roxio Creator with my current PC and have never felt the need to change. Works fine.

MrDennis
MrDennis  5220 forum posts Wales
11 Apr 2011 - 12:56 AM

To be totaly honest with you I think Roxio Creator is the WORST of the WORST!. Don't put their CDRW software in or you'll regret it.
Nothing wrong with Nero if you just sit down and read how to use it. You do NOT need to install everything that's on the DVD. I've only installed Nero Burning Rom and Nero Express.
Reason for Express is that the Full Nero 9 or 10 does not give you a Burn Data when Express does.
One of the BEST. Imgburn is also Good and FREE.

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Apr 2011 - 2:27 AM

Another vote for Nero.

Well, he did a good job for Rome Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.