Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best circular ND filter and strength?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Gary_Macleod
    18 May 2008 - 12:52 AM

Probably an old question but just purchased a sigma 10-20mm lens and I'm wanting to purchase a circular(screw on Obviously) ND filter as i want to experiment with longer exposures. I was out the other night with a fellow tog who was using a 64x nd filter for long exposures on the water. is this going over the top to go for a 64x(1.8) or could i do with a .ND8 filter.

all help greatfully accepted

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    18 May 2008 - 12:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas
    18 May 2008 - 1:00 AM

You need to get an ND filter or a pref a couple to be honest. Big grads will also do as full NDs in most circumstances. A polariser will usually gie you one stop difference .. however with 2 grads you could get 5 or 6 stops difference .. giving you the chance to do very long exposures.

Of course you can also use the polariser too ... and you can keep the iso as low as possible and use a very, very small aperture. All of these things will help.

One thing to note is that only use long exposures when you need to and in order to create ane ffect that you want!

A shutter cable is a must for exposures over 30 seconds on most cameras ... some of my night shots go into the 5-20 minute exposure range !

Dan

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Gary_Macleod
    18 May 2008 - 11:56 AM

thanks very much Dan, all very helpful advice, cheers

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.