Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Best circular ND filter and strength?

18 May 2008 12:52AM
Probably an old question but just purchased a sigma 10-20mm lens and I'm wanting to purchase a circular(screw on Obviously) ND filter as i want to experiment with longer exposures. I was out the other night with a fellow tog who was using a 64x nd filter for long exposures on the water. is this going over the top to go for a 64x(1.8) or could i do with a .ND8 filter.

all help greatfully accepted

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas e2
9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
18 May 2008 1:00AM
You need to get an ND filter or a pref a couple to be honest. Big grads will also do as full NDs in most circumstances. A polariser will usually gie you one stop difference .. however with 2 grads you could get 5 or 6 stops difference .. giving you the chance to do very long exposures.

Of course you can also use the polariser too ... and you can keep the iso as low as possible and use a very, very small aperture. All of these things will help.

One thing to note is that only use long exposures when you need to and in order to create ane ffect that you want!

A shutter cable is a must for exposures over 30 seconds on most cameras ... some of my night shots go into the 5-20 minute exposure range !

Dan
18 May 2008 11:56AM
thanks very much Dan, all very helpful advice, cheers

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.