Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

best compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MichaelTuska
23 Oct 2012 - 9:03 AM

Since posting a question ref. best compact for discreet candids; and thanks for the advice, I have just had the brief opportunity(hour and half) to test the Sony RX100(I already have the NEX7). It appears to be a stunning camera for image quality and resolution,so sharp, and a large sensor with a zuiko 1.8 lens
The only slight drawback is that the lcd screen doesn't tilt!!.
This may be more difficult to choose than I thought.
Mike T

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Oct 2012 - 9:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 3593 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hi Mike, for image quality there's very little that would beat the RX100. There's also very few with a tilting screen. (Samsung EX2F, Olympus XZ-2, P7700, G1 X)

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 11:32 AM

Quote: and a large sensor with a zuiko 1.8 lens

Are you quite sure Smile

It does have a decent wide aperture of f1.8 but zooming to 100mm, this drops to around f5, but it does have a nice sensor.

The Olympus XZ-2 gets my vote, even though I use an x10, the tilting screen does more than just tilt, its touch sensitive as well.

It uses the same screen as the OM-D, I`ve taken pictures at point blanc range without being spotted.

I added a tiny bit about the touch screen here.

Its packed with other features as well, like wireless flash control and it can take accessories such as a EVF.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-om-d-e-m5-2-month-user-review-20379
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxc523ZREA&feature=related

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
23 Oct 2012 - 12:08 PM

The RX100 is a great camera. i really enjoy using mine. what i like about it (other than the IQ and size) is the rapid quick AF, almost zero shutter lag and the WhiteMagic screen, which does make viewing it at an angle easier. Although the aperture drops as soon as you use the zoom, the cameras abilities with regard noise control is quite astounding for a compact that can be hiddne in the pal mof your hand. Image quality at 1600ISO is very good indeed.

That said, there are a number of excellent compacts that will do you proud. Unfortunately for you, you have to make the choice. but certainly the RX100 gets my rather biased vote.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:16 PM

The RX100 and XZ-2 cost about the same, both around 470.

For about 100 less there`s the Panasonic LX7, not quite as feature packed as the other two, but it does have a faster f1.4- f2.5 lens with built in ND filters.

ChrisV
ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've used a Panny G3 with the tiny f1.7 20mm [40 equiv] lens. If you flip out the screen and tip it horizontal [or near] and loo down as you frame your shot, I've found most people don't notice you're actually taking photos.

Great image quality/low noise and decent control over DoF. Even with the kit lens on it, it's not so obtrusive.

It may well be that's not discreet enough for you - but I offer it as an alternative to consider. IQ would certainly be a winner against most of the alternatives already suggested.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Oct 2012 - 3:40 PM

Quote: I've used a Panny G3 with the tiny f1.7 20mm [40 equiv] lens.

I use the Olympus OM-D (tilt screen) with the same lens. Ideal for use at waist level. The lens is just a touch wider than standard but gives no distortion to the image, even used at close range. I feel I'm using the modern equivalent of a TLR. Smile

Paul Morgan
23 Oct 2012 - 8:02 PM

Comparing the screens between the Panasonic's and the OMD, I prefer the OMD`s. Its much better placed behind the camera and so much better in bright conditions as well.

I don`t think the XZ-2 is out yet but it certainly looks interesting especially if it focus as good as the OM-D.

Keebsuk
Keebsuk Junior Member 132 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Oct 2012 - 10:38 PM

I currently use a Panasonic DMC-LX5 and find the screen to be fine in all but the brightest of conditions. I know Panny does an EVF for the LX5 but I haven't found the need to buy one.

Andy

ChrisV
ChrisV  7718 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2012 - 4:52 PM

I quite like the flip-out screen on the G3 - it's the first time I've ever had a camera with one and I do like its flexibility, including the capability of being able to view it from the front of the camera. It's nice it has a built-in OVF for the more conventional [and for me more often utilised] approach to framing subjects.

I'm pretty sure the OM-D does beat it on build and image quality, but as it's double+ the price it should. If I had unlimited cash or I was using m4/3 as my primary system I'd probably get one [I think it looks better and is certainly better value than the GH3, for example]. So I was speaking from experience - the reports of other people's use of the OM-D on here certainly appear to suggest a high level of satisfaction. Maybe one day...

Paul Morgan
24 Oct 2012 - 7:57 PM

I use both the Panasonic G2 and the OMD.

They both have a 1.44 million dot evf but the OMD viewfinder is a fair bit smaller, the G2 display looks horrible in comparison and grainy Smile

I like both the LX7 and the look of the XZ-2, both have great specs on paper, but for me the XZ-2 would come up trumps.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 10:39 AM

Re the XZ-2. Do you know if have to use Olympus's own RAW converter or is it Adobe compatible?
I'm looking to get one for my OH for Christmas but don't want to go in for yet another upgrade to be able to use RAW.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 11:20 AM

Quote: Re the XZ-2. Do you know if have to use Olympus's own RAW converter or is it Adobe compatible?

ACR includes support for the XZ-1 but not - yet - the XZ-2.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thanks CB

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7529 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
26 Oct 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree with Andy - I have a Panny LX-5 as a pocket camera and am quite amazed with what it can do. Never felt the need for an EVF either. The LX5 can be picked up SH for around 200 and I think it's a bargain. I got mine SH from Vennal Cameras in Ayr.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.