Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Compact Camera For Image Quality

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johncob
    johncob  4 United Kingdom
    8 Aug 2013 - 8:34 PM

It would be good to have a convenient compact camera in addition to my DSLR. As a member of a camera club I still need to hopefully obtain quality image options without the need to have my DSLR with me all the time at every occasion. I am open to your help and suggestions. Currently a Canon G15 and Canon G1X are up for consideration. I normally use a Nikon D90. Regards John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Aug 2013 - 8:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 11987 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    8 Aug 2013 - 8:42 PM

I am also looking for a good compact camera I see argos are selling eos m with flashgun included this camera has had mixed reviews but will have to look at it again also like sony cybershot rx 100

franken
    franken e2 Member 112913 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2013 - 8:53 PM

This is the best compact cameras as per EPZ.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-serious-compact-digital-cameras-16...

Ken

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Aug 2013 - 9:13 PM

Quote: This is the best compact cameras as per EPZ.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-serious-compact-digital-cameras-16...

Ken

Most of those I would have recommended are already in that list Smile

johncob
    8 Aug 2013 - 9:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Something to digest. Regards John

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Aug 2013 - 2:38 AM

The best and most useful compacts come with a decent leaf shutter and flash shoe.

Wilco54
    Wilco54  2128 forum posts Luxembourg1 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Aug 2013 - 10:43 AM

This thread could really run! I have a Panasonic GF1 withy the 20mm pancake and the Olympus 45mm and I love the flexibility the camera offers. Its quite discreet and IQ is good. I particularly like that you can have 1:1 or 6:6 format straight out of the camera and its black and white jpegs are first class. Failing that, go for the little Leica's - top flight IQ or their little brother like the Panasonic Lumix LX7 that has a 24mm Leica lens!
    Chris

Steppenwolf
    9 Aug 2013 - 11:49 AM

It depends on what you want:
    - how compact - does it need to fit in a shirt pocket
    - do you want a viewfinder
    - what range of zoom (if any) do you want
    - do you want full manual control
    - how picky are you about IQ
    - how much do you want to pay

If it's got to fit in a shirt pocket you're not going to get a viewfinder. The best IQ in a pocketable compact is probably the Sony RX100. It's got a CX size sensor (2.7X crop factor) so it's larger than most, but it's still a very small camera with a reasonable zoom.

If you want a viewfinder then the camera will be a bit larger. The G15 is a good camera but has a smaller sensor so it's not as good as the RX100 for IQ. You could also go for a CSC such as the Nikon V1 (+10-30mm) which has also got a CX sensor. This is being sold very cheap and has masses of features and great EVF plus good IQ and near enough DSLR-like controls. It also has the benefit of interchangeable lenses if you want to extend the zoom range. You could also look at the Panasonic m4/3 cameras + 14-42 or the Sony NEX-6 +16-50.

If you want a zoom lens the large sensor (APS-C) compacts are probably out because the lens is large, so these compacts tend to have fixed focal lengths.

There are loads of options but none of them ticks every box. It's all a bit of a compromise. Those with the best IQ tend to be bigger than is ideal for a compact or have a fixed focal length and those that are small enough to fit your pocket have no VF.

MichaelMelb_AU

Have a look at Fujifilm X cameras. I'd love to get my hands on X20 - but need to wait till prices subside a bit. As for me - it is an excellent second camera after DSLR.

johncob
    9 Aug 2013 - 5:21 PM

Thanks All. I need to digest all that you have sent me.

Ideally I want a large'ish sensor , a zoom, reasonably compact and will fit in a coat pocket. AND --- takes quality images. Am I seeking the impossible. Regards John

Paul Morgan
    9 Aug 2013 - 7:13 PM

The ultimate compact would be the Fuji x100 or x100s but you will be getting a fixed none zoom lens.

The x20 will be good or for less money an x10 or failing that, any as recommended above from that list of the top 10.

MichaelMelb_AU
    9 Aug 2013 - 11:54 PM

Have a look at Fujifilm FinepixF850(F900)EXR. 1/2" 16MP backlit CMOS sensor larger than in many other compacts, 20X zoom, acceptable manufacturing quality ,920K 3inch screen,OIS. Fits in a coat pocket. As for image quality (sensor-wise) I have an example of an image taken by other Fujifilm camera with the same sensor:

It also can record RAW - if you need it.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 9 Aug 2013 - 11:59 PM
    johncob
    10 Aug 2013 - 8:13 AM

That looks good.

Steppenwolf
    10 Aug 2013 - 8:57 AM

Quote:
    Ideally I want a large'ish sensor , a zoom, reasonably compact and will fit in a coat pocket. AND --- takes quality images. Am I seeking the impossible. Regards John

That's what I was looking for too, although I also wanted a decent viewfinder. I came to the conclusion that the Nikon V1 fitted the bill - and when the V2 was announced and the V1 price dropped by about 400 it seemed too good a bargain to ignore. It's an excellent camera with masses of features: e.g. slow motion movies, PDAF fast focus, super high frame rates, 1.4Mp EVF, RAW, etc etc. It also has the CX sensor like the Sony RX100 which is considerably larger than most compacts. I'll try and get round to posting a few pictures when I get time.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 10 Aug 2013 - 8:59 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.