Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

best film still made...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    havecamerawilltravel

dug out my A1 and contax g2, replaced batteries and all seems well...now to give them something to chew on? suggestions? (negs) I bought a few rolls of a fuji neg, whose name escapes me, but seems ok - but what are the other options? I guess there are also thread, after long threads as to this subject. Sorry!

just going to process at the local better photoprocessers (researched, and they are still going)

I used to use Velvia all the time, but I just want to keep it back with negs at the mo. And, if anyone has any recs for a slide/neg scanner for the 1000's of slides I have... much appreciated.

atb

P.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Feb 2011 - 11:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214383 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2011 - 11:39 PM

Some of what I use,Fuji Neopan 400/1600,Fujichrome Sensia 200
    Ilford, HP5, FP4, XP2 400(c41)
    Kodak BW400CN(c41) TMax 100/400

These scanners are pretty good, and not to expensive.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/plustek-opticfilm-7400-35mm-scanner-15222

Snapper
    Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Feb 2011 - 11:58 PM

I haven't used it, but Kodak Ektar gets a good name if you can be happy with iso 100. Fuji also have their Superia range if you're looking for something a bit faster. I'd second Paul's choices on mono films if you're thinking of that instead of colour.

User_Removed
    8 Feb 2011 - 2:42 PM

Another vote for Ektar 100 for colour.

And, boringly, I still use FP4 for monochrome.

filmforever
    8 Feb 2011 - 3:46 PM

Definitely Kodak Ektar for colour neg, it's practically grainless and has a long tonal curve. HP5 is my choice for an all year round black & white film, but only if you process it yourself. Labs seem to have forgotten how to properly process black & white, possibly because they get so little throughput these days.

User_Removed
    8 Feb 2011 - 7:05 PM

Just a silly question arising from your contribution, Filmforever.

Have you ever tried shooting everything in Ektar and then converting those that you intended to be black and white after scanning?

I haven't. But it may be worth looking at.

Andysnapper
    Andysnapper e2 Member 596 forum postsAndysnapper vcard England15 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Feb 2011 - 12:32 PM

For b&w prints I've used both Adox Art 50 or 100 and Legacy Pro 100 with some really nice results.

Andy

filmforever
    9 Feb 2011 - 9:33 PM

Quote: Just a silly question arising from your contribution, Filmforever.

Have you ever tried shooting everything in Ektar and then converting those that you intended to be black and white after scanning?

I haven't actually. Given its fine grain and long tonal curve, it might work nicely...I'll give it a go at some time.
    Because I process my own b&w, and have built up over the years a collection of b&w filters, I tend to keep one body permanantly loaded with HP5. Becasue there's only one way to process colour, I'm happy to leave it to the lab, but black & white is entirely different, you can get very different results depending on how you rate the films peed and what developer you use.

User_Removed
    9 Feb 2011 - 9:54 PM

That's pretty much how I feel too. I just wondered.

timparkin
    timparkin  727 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Aug 2011 - 10:43 PM

The new Portra's are possibly the best films ever made - have a play with the Portra 160. If you want to shoot transparency for landscape work, use velvia 50 or for general work use Kodak E100G

Tim

randomrubble
    18 Aug 2011 - 10:32 AM

Ektar is my film of choice for 35mm work, at the moment. From my recolection of the BJP's review Portra is probably as good for grain but the comments on colour rendition didn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Last Modified By randomrubble at 18 Aug 2011 - 10:33 AM
    matt5791
    matt5791  9747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Sep 2011 - 9:01 PM

The new Kodak Portra range is possibly the "best" colour negative film ever made - Truly incredible in the 400 varient. You can expose this film at pretty much any speed up to 3200 with a push in process. Infact you still get plenty of detail without a push up to 1600, particularly if you are scanning.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-portra-112-c.asp

Last Modified By matt5791 at 26 Sep 2011 - 9:02 PM
    AidanT
    AidanT  749 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Sep 2011 - 2:06 PM

I like using Fuji 160s negative film, it's got very fine grain, great dynamic range and renders colour realistic fashion ie bold colours brightly and pastel colours in a subtle way.

Be quick though according to 7dayshop Fuji have jsut pulled the plug on it in 35mm!

Aidan

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Sep 2011 - 3:38 PM

The best film depends on what I'm shooting! Velvia 50 (not quite as good as the old one, but still fantastic) for colour slide, Fuji Reala 100 (always used it for weddings) for colour neg, and Ilford Pan F for slow B+W (large format and tripod shots). It was a toss-up between T-Max 400 or HP5+ for everyday B+W.

If I could only ever use one film, it would probably be HP5+, as it is so versatile and can be modified during development.

Nick

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.