Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

best film still made...

dug out my A1 and contax g2, replaced batteries and all seems well...now to give them something to chew on? suggestions? (negs) I bought a few rolls of a fuji neg, whose name escapes me, but seems ok - but what are the other options? I guess there are also thread, after long threads as to this subject. Sorry!

just going to process at the local better photoprocessers (researched, and they are still going)

I used to use Velvia all the time, but I just want to keep it back with negs at the mo. And, if anyone has any recs for a slide/neg scanner for the 1000's of slides I have... much appreciated.

atb

P.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
7 Feb 2011 11:39PM
Some of what I use,Fuji Neopan 400/1600,Fujichrome Sensia 200
Ilford, HP5, FP4, XP2 400(c41)
Kodak BW400CN(c41) TMax 100/400

These scanners are pretty good, and not to expensive.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/plustek-opticfilm-7400-35mm-scanner-15222
Snapper e2
9 3.8k 3 United States Outlying Islands
7 Feb 2011 11:58PM
I haven't used it, but Kodak Ektar gets a good name if you can be happy with iso 100. Fuji also have their Superia range if you're looking for something a bit faster. I'd second Paul's choices on mono films if you're thinking of that instead of colour.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
8 Feb 2011 2:42PM
Another vote for Ektar 100 for colour.

And, boringly, I still use FP4 for monochrome.
8 Feb 2011 3:46PM
Definitely Kodak Ektar for colour neg, it's practically grainless and has a long tonal curve. HP5 is my choice for an all year round black & white film, but only if you process it yourself. Labs seem to have forgotten how to properly process black & white, possibly because they get so little throughput these days.
8 Feb 2011 7:05PM
Just a silly question arising from your contribution, Filmforever.

Have you ever tried shooting everything in Ektar and then converting those that you intended to be black and white after scanning?

I haven't. But it may be worth looking at.
Andysnapper e2
6 108 22 England
9 Feb 2011 12:32PM
For b&w prints I've used both Adox Art 50 or 100 and Legacy Pro 100 with some really nice results.

Andy
9 Feb 2011 9:33PM

Quote:Just a silly question arising from your contribution, Filmforever.

Have you ever tried shooting everything in Ektar and then converting those that you intended to be black and white after scanning?

I haven't actually. Given its fine grain and long tonal curve, it might work nicely...I'll give it a go at some time.
Because I process my own b&w, and have built up over the years a collection of b&w filters, I tend to keep one body permanantly loaded with HP5. Becasue there's only one way to process colour, I'm happy to leave it to the lab, but black & white is entirely different, you can get very different results depending on how you rate the films peed and what developer you use.
9 Feb 2011 9:54PM
That's pretty much how I feel too. I just wondered.
17 Aug 2011 10:43PM
The new Portra's are possibly the best films ever made - have a play with the Portra 160. If you want to shoot transparency for landscape work, use velvia 50 or for general work use Kodak E100G

Tim
randomrubble
10 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2011 10:32AM
Ektar is my film of choice for 35mm work, at the moment. From my recolection of the BJP's review Portra is probably as good for grain but the comments on colour rendition didn't fill me with enthusiasm.
matt5791 e2
10 747 1 United Kingdom
26 Sep 2011 9:01PM
The new Kodak Portra range is possibly the "best" colour negative film ever made - Truly incredible in the 400 varient. You can expose this film at pretty much any speed up to 3200 with a push in process. Infact you still get plenty of detail without a push up to 1600, particularly if you are scanning.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/kodak-portra-112-c.asp
AidanT e2
7 49 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2011 2:06PM
I like using Fuji 160s negative film, it's got very fine grain, great dynamic range and renders colour realistic fashion ie bold colours brightly and pastel colours in a subtle way.

Be quick though according to 7dayshop Fuji have jsut pulled the plug on it in 35mm!

Aidan
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
27 Sep 2011 3:38PM
The best film depends on what I'm shooting! Velvia 50 (not quite as good as the old one, but still fantastic) for colour slide, Fuji Reala 100 (always used it for weddings) for colour neg, and Ilford Pan F for slow B+W (large format and tripod shots). It was a toss-up between T-Max 400 or HP5+ for everyday B+W.

If I could only ever use one film, it would probably be HP5+, as it is so versatile and can be modified during development.

Nick

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.