Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Best filters for landscapes

JanieB43 6 47 6 England
24 May 2009 8:55AM
I have the cokin P series and have a 4 and 8 ND filter, a NGrad, together with a polarizing filter. I love landscape/seascape photography and after seeing the standard of such photographs on this site I would really like to improve my shots. Can anyone advise me as to which other coloured/graduated filters are a good investment. I know you can add filter effects with photoshop but I don't think you can beat the "real thing".
Thanks
Jane

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
24 May 2009 9:19AM
Colored filters, forget it.
Just shoot RAW, and adjust accordingly.
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
24 May 2009 9:48AM
Not sure I agree Cole. I have, and occasionally use (albeit very occasionally) , a sunset orange grad and a blue grad. Having these in the field can sometimes help me visualise what I'm after.

Adam
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
24 May 2009 10:14AM
I have a couple of graduated filters which I use for landscape type shots, part ND and part coloured.

0.6 ND / 81A
0.3 ND / 81B

The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings leaving the ND to reduce the EV value difference for what is usually a brighter sky.

Obviously, like all grads, one needs a fairly straight horizon.
25 May 2009 7:35PM

Quote:The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings

They do if you are shooting slide film for projection, or take a manual white balance setting before adding the filter.
However using digital AWB or sending to a lab for prints (when the printing machine AWB takes over) produces "correct" colour, removing most or all the 1A or 1B effect.
Kris_Dutson 12 8.2k 1 England
25 May 2009 8:39PM
I reckon you've already got what you need.

After a quick look at your portfolio I'd say you've got the basics well sorted so it's just a case of practise, practise and more practise. Wink
NEWMANP e2
6 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
26 May 2009 11:56AM
you will probably get away most of the time with a 121s soft edge 3 stop filter for seascapes where the water is quite reflective. with sunrises over dark rocks in the hills you may well need 5 stops of Nd grad, but as for colours and similar i wouldnt buy them just to be sat in the bag.
Phil

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.