Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best filters for landscapes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  547 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 May 2009 - 8:55 AM

I have the cokin P series and have a 4 and 8 ND filter, a NGrad, together with a polarizing filter. I love landscape/seascape photography and after seeing the standard of such photographs on this site I would really like to improve my shots. Can anyone advise me as to which other coloured/graduated filters are a good investment. I know you can add filter effects with photoshop but I don't think you can beat the "real thing".
    Thanks
    Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 May 2009 - 8:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    24 May 2009 - 9:19 AM

Colored filters, forget it.
    Just shoot RAW, and adjust accordingly.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
    24 May 2009 - 9:48 AM

Not sure I agree Cole. I have, and occasionally use (albeit very occasionally) , a sunset orange grad and a blue grad. Having these in the field can sometimes help me visualise what I'm after.

Adam

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    24 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

I have a couple of graduated filters which I use for landscape type shots, part ND and part coloured.

0.6 ND / 81A
    0.3 ND / 81B

The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings leaving the ND to reduce the EV value difference for what is usually a brighter sky.

Obviously, like all grads, one needs a fairly straight horizon.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62426 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    25 May 2009 - 7:35 PM

Quote: The 81A & 81B just warm up land / buildings

They do if you are shooting slide film for projection, or take a manual white balance setting before adding the filter.
    However using digital AWB or sending to a lab for prints (when the printing machine AWB takes over) produces "correct" colour, removing most or all the 1A or 1B effect.

Kris_Dutson
    25 May 2009 - 8:39 PM

I reckon you've already got what you need.

After a quick look at your portfolio I'd say you've got the basics well sorted so it's just a case of practise, practise and more practise. Wink

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    26 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

you will probably get away most of the time with a 121s soft edge 3 stop filter for seascapes where the water is quite reflective. with sunrises over dark rocks in the hills you may well need 5 stops of Nd grad, but as for colours and similar i wouldnt buy them just to be sat in the bag.
    Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 26 May 2009 - 11:57 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.