Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best filters for Nikon 18-105mm VR and 35MM f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    aditya11
    aditya11  1
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:14 PM

Dear Friends,
    I just bought a Nikon D7100 with the 18-105 MM lens. I am going to purchase the 35 MM lens as well.

What would you recommend for a filter for the lenses? I'd like something that would protect against UV. But nothing too pricey.

Thanks, Adi.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SteveHunter
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:24 PM

You don't need a UV filter on a digital camera.

Film was sensitive to UV light and hence why people used UV filters, Digital Sensors are not sensitive to UV light so a filter is not required.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2013 - 5:50 PM

As Steve says. The UV filter served 2 purposes: firstly to eliminate UV glare with film and secondly to protect the lens and nowadays you will find 'protective filters' for the latter.

You will get a whole range of opinions on filters based mainly on personal preference:
    - they cannot improve an image so I will not use one because it may degrade the image - I keep my lens hood on to protect the lens
    - I would rather not use one but it is cheaper to replace a filter than replace my lens if it gets knocked against something
    - I use a filter only in tough conditions (beaches with sand/sea spray or windy weather with dust blowing about)
    - I use a cheap filter and have seen no effect so I am happy
    - I only use expensive filters in case cheap ones degrade the image
    - I buy cheap ones from China (via epay) which are as good quality as expensive Western brands. I'm happy

Take your pick...

dandeakin
    dandeakin  6187 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Apr 2013 - 6:35 PM

Quote:
    - I would rather not use one but it is cheaper to replace a filter than replace my lens if it gets knocked against something

This is the opinion I take for my lens. Each to their own though.

I recently bought a 77mm Hoya Pro UV filter for £30 on amazon for a new lens. Then I found out they do a Hoya Pro Protector for just £20. I got one and it Seems to do exactly the same as the UV version ie protect the front element, for quite abit less. Wish I had known about them a few years ago.

RavenTepes
    2 Apr 2013 - 8:29 PM

Something that would be helpful to know is what you like to shoot...

Outside of a UV filter, which pretty much does nothing except protect the front element, there are a variety of filters out there. Personally, I keep filter use to a minimal, but that's me. I don't use UV filters, but I do use ND and polarisers.

Last Modified By RavenTepes at 2 Apr 2013 - 8:34 PM
    LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    3 Apr 2013 - 8:49 AM

Quote:
    Film was sensitive to UV light and hence why people used UV filters,.

This comment a little out of date. Colour film stopped being affected by UV filtration in the early 1980s. Black and white chromogenic film is similar. Black-and-white silver based film had it's UV sensitivity substantially reduced about 1998.
    As you cannot put black and white film in a digital camera Smile Nikon got up to date about 2005, which is when they stopped making UV filters.
    Even the best and most expensive filters sometimes degrade image quality and recorded short wavelength colours somewhat, and cheap filters can degrade quality significantly.
    Most Nikon lenses come with a lens hood that provides much better front protection than a flat glass filter.
    Whether or not to use a filter all the time is personal choice but I get the very distinct impression most advanced photographers do not use protection filters most of the time.
    The last time I saw a survey about five years ago over 70% said they did not use protection filters. With increasing knowledge that digital is not sensitive to UV I expected UV filter sales are in rapid decline.
    If you prefer a front protection filter there are a whole range of clear options which often cost less than a UV.
    If your local camera shop or online seller does not stock clear filters my advice is walk away because they are trying to sell what grandad might have needed for distant landscapes rather than what is needed in a digital era. By the way if Grandad had a UV filter it was kept in a little leather pouch attached to the camera strap except when shooting in strong UV conditions.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.