Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Lake District Locations ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 8:44 AM

Hi All

Planning a day trip to the lakes in June to catch a sunrise and sunset and some Lakescapes Wink for my web portfolio. Its not an area I have been to often and wondered if there are any tips out there for the best locations, really looking for jetties boats old wooden sheds old fences into lakes, you get the idea ! Been researching it and so far looks like derwentwater / keswick look good ?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2013 - 8:44 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

collywobles
22 May 2013 - 9:07 AM

If you go to the Lakes you must go high and climb some of those mountains the views are stunning. As for the photographic quality - its never the same in a photo. However there is enough in the Lakes to keep you happy for days.

puertouk
puertouk  21052 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Try Buttermere and around that area.

Dave_Canon
22 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

I got some great shots from the top of Hawkshead Hill of a sunrise. Also some good shots across Coniston Water just after dawn with mist over the lake.

To be honest, the Lake district is one of the most photogenic places and there are great opportunities everywhere.

Dave

Nickscape
Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

There are so many great places in the Lakes it really is a difficult choice. If you are only going for a day, I would head for the Keswick area, from there you are in good driving distance to many of the attractions which you could do in a loop easily in a day - the piers on derwent water, ashness bridge, borrowdale, then up the pass past the Honister slate mine, down to Buttermere, Crummock Water if you have time and then back over the pass past Moss Force back down the Newlands Valley to Derwent & Bassenthwaite Lake.

I wrote a short guide to some of the waterfalls on my blog if you want to visit a few on your trip, many are very accessible > Lake District Waterfalls

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5179 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 2:45 PM

So many locations to choose from. Photographically Tarn Howes is good and I like Blea Tarn and the Langdale Valleys

thebobbyshaw
22 May 2013 - 4:13 PM

Wasdale is unbeatable in the evenings. I live here on the lake shore - If you're lucky the sunsets are amazing over the Screes and the fells around Wasdale Head. The best sunrises would most probably be from around Keswick, down in Borrowdale or upper end of Ullswater. Sunsets to me are best around Eskdale, Wasdale, Ennerdale and Buttermere/Crummock. The down side to coming here in the summer months is that it can be quite hazy so not great for the clarity.... late autumn winter and early spring are the best times and are amazingly clear.....

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014707 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 4:23 PM

I love the passes

wrynose/hardknott

newlands/honister

those pairs are just stunning for the "lazy walker" who wants to get some high shots.

definitely my fave part of England - though not been for 18 months

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014707 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 5:06 PM

I did one sunset on Hardknott pass - stood on the roman fort looking at the Irish sea and Isle of Man.

I think that cemented my photography passion

Photography was just an excuse for drinking for then

Alas I didn't have the skills to capture it very well then.... and probably still don't Wink

Blackcrag
Blackcrag  136 forum posts United Kingdom
22 May 2013 - 5:33 PM

If you are going to Keswick there are loads of places around the lake. Without having to climb high a great little view point is - follow the road to Borrowdale from the town centre. its the B5289. Walk on the nearside path, passed some very nice bungalows, As the footpath ends, go left into the wood and follow the track up and around onto Castlehead view point.

stuvine
stuvine  863 forum posts United Kingdom
22 May 2013 - 5:42 PM

Taken on Derwentwater.

stevenb
stevenb e2 Member 11260 forum postsstevenb vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2013 - 6:16 PM

Easy acces for sunrise shot That boat house on Ullswater or Castlrigg stone cirle for sunrise.
Sunset shot Try Dewentwater boat landing on outskirts of Keswick.

Bill

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123841 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
23 May 2013 - 9:11 AM

You only have a day in the Lake District ...... I am having a week there soon and I will only scratch the surface photographically speaking but I will be looking for images that others haven't taken; if I was you I would go for the "classic" shots as many have already depicted perhaps trying a new angle on them.

2-towards-catbells.jpg

The Catbells ridge is on the shores of Derwentwater itself a great source of images but what the image shows is that the weather there can be your friend or foe depending entirely on your own outlook; for example I look upon bad weather in the Lakes as a challenge because somewhere great light will appear!

If I was to pick just one day in Cumbria for me it would have to be Autumn; high Summer can be full of boring blue skies with not so dramatic lighting; in Autumn the sun is lower and the weather far more dramatic and changeable.

The viewpoint of my image is about a 30 minute climb up Catbells depending on your fitness; most seasoned EPZ members will be aware of the classic view looking back over Derwentwater from the top of Catbells ridge (which I won't take as everyone has already done it) in the top right of my picture; Derwentwater on the left.

G' luck, Peter.

Last Modified By peterjones at 23 May 2013 - 9:15 AM
catgirl73
catgirl73  6136 forum posts United Kingdom
25 May 2013 - 8:13 PM

My ultimate favourite place is Blea Tarn, you will have a fantastic time. I'm driving up there on the 8th June and I am so very excited.

chris.maddock
26 May 2013 - 9:33 AM

Quote: My ultimate favourite place is Blea Tarn,

Which Blea Tarn? There are three of them Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.