Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Lens - Candid Photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Mar 2014 - 8:50 AM

get something like a canon G12 .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Mar 2014 - 8:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
2 Mar 2014 - 2:29 PM

Many of the the great street photographers have used Leica M with the smallest version of either a 35 or 50mm lens. Aperture was chosen for good depth of field and focus was pre-selected for the intended pic. The photographer them moved forwards or backwards to get in the pre-selected distance.

Leica M are still available for those with deep pockets. The less well-off could use an entry-level Nikon DSLR with a 45mm P type lens.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hanging a camera around your neck (any camera will do), but sneakily using a high resolution camera phone to actually take the photos, works well or so I'm told. Nobody will suspect you of using the phone to take photos when you, so visibly, have a "proper" camera on you! Grin

Must confess I've never tried it, though.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023026 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2014 - 12:22 PM

Apart from the fact that anyone taking photos on a phone is obvious.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139443 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2014 - 12:25 PM

Grab shot taken with my Panasonic LF1, today, in extreme haste. I wanted to capture the moment the letter was about to be put into the postbox but I didn't want the man to be aware I was taking the shot. This is what I call a candid... I don't regard posed shots in the street as candids. I am happy to sacrifice a bit of quality (as here) for spontaneity.

Sometimes you don't even plan on taking a photo but the opportunity presents itself: there is no time to faff about with the camera. So ease of use becomes paramount. Smile

posting-s.jpg

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4211 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom129 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2014 - 6:34 PM

A Canon G12 with fold out screen is great. My wife has one and sat next to me on the Paris Metro. I thought she was looking at previous snaps but in fact she was getting some really good photos of buskers and people. By the way it's illegal to photograph people in public places in France without their permission.
In Morocco most people object to being snapped. There I was chased by a man waving his stick and then spat in my face, and I was only including him in a general scene. I was using a discreet small camera (Fuji X-E1)
Best advice, be thick skinned and snap away.
Wider angle gives you greater depth of field, less focus problems if shooting from low down, f11 or f16 and on manual focus

Last Modified By iancrowson at 15 Mar 2014 - 6:39 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64431 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2014 - 6:41 PM

Agree with Ian. I've got the G11 with the fold out screen and it's one of my faves. Either that or the Panasonic G5. I prefer the G5 because it's just like a mini and lightweight DSLR and totally quiet, and with a 14-140mm zoom and fold out screen it's perfect for street/candids. The G11/G12 come into their own when you want to be ultra-unobserved but the rocker for zooming is not my preference.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2014 - 7:45 PM

Quote: If you've gota cable release, you can have your camera round your neck and the relese in your hand - doesn't look like you're taking any shots Smile

maybe not so good if you're walking in a way that makes the camera move loads and you can't actaully see what you're shooting AND you need a very fast shutter... but at last no one sees you.

bit of a problem if it's a loud shutter like the 20D though. think the 10 and 5D were a lot quieter. You could set an avalance off with the 20!!!!

still a great camera.... I'm getting one after all Smile

Stick a flash on the camera, the bigger the better, then there is no need to hide Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRBARi09je8

Of all the places he had to pick in the UK, he chose Derby Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejlIgyYhlJ8

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 15 Mar 2014 - 7:50 PM
lemmy
lemmy  71869 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Mar 2014 - 7:37 PM

I just hang the camera around my neck and view and control everything via my phone. With the electronic shutter set to silent mode, there's no noise at all, either.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2014 - 10:35 PM

Quote: I just hang the camera around my neck and view and control everything via my phone. With the electronic shutter set to silent mode, there's no noise at all, either.

There is one big problem with the silent shutter, you can`t use flash Smile

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014799 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2014 - 4:46 PM

I use WAG, it covers just about everything, and costs little.

lemmy
lemmy  71869 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Mar 2014 - 6:25 PM

Quote: I use WAG,

WAG? You're a cat - do you don a false dog's tail for your candids? That's deception Tongue

What's WAG?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.