Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

dcash29
dcash29  81896 forum posts England
5 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

Off to Brugge soon which lenses would you short list?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monkeygrip
6 May 2013 - 3:13 AM

I think we may need a little more info before any advice can be offered.

This question is like asking for a shortlist of shoes to take to Brugge. To which my answer would be at least one left and one right preferably a matching pairWink

dcash29
6 May 2013 - 3:32 AM

Quote: This question is like asking for a shortlist of shoes to take to Brugge. To which my answer would be at least one left and one right preferably a matching pair

and the correct size.

I take it you havent been to Brugge?

monkeygrip
6 May 2013 - 3:53 AM

Visited just the once not with any photographic intent but can only recall the main square full of red buildings and extremely strong Flemish beer served in a mug with three handles.Tongue

I am glad you saw the funny side of my question it was meant that way but I needed more info like camera system budget, what you currently have, do you want to carry a hefty beast of a lens all daysSmile

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 7:40 AM

I've been to Brugge umpteen times. There are 4 main ways of getting about - on foot, by bike, in a horse-drawn carriage and in a canal boat. The latter two are short-lived touristy things to do but, so far as I can recall, the prices are regulated by the city so are reasonable. The canal boat trips give a very different viewpoint of the city but are frequently pretty busy.

The first two methods of travel are your best bet. Brugge is small and is best covered on foot and/or on bike so if you are out and about only take gear you are happy to carry around for prolonged periods. On the plus side the city is so small you can easily get back to your accommodation; change your gear and go back out again if you forget a bit of kit. If you are going by car don't be tempted to fill the boot with your gear and hope you can drive around and park easily. You can't. It is full of narrow; one-way streets and pedestrianised areas.

Brugge is an extraordinarily beautiful place and so attracts vast amounts of visitors. It is quieter in the mornings before the day visitors arrive (in their hoards). From late morning onwards the streets are just heaving with tourists. It quietens a wee bit in the evening but Brugge is just as stunning in the dark as it is in the daylight.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying a good walk-about camera with a wide-angle to medium zoom would be useful. If you are talking DSLR and not carrying too much gear around, I would opt for a wide angle zoom - something like a 17-70mm.

Enjoy yourself. Brugge is a stunningly beautiful place.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123851 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 8:26 AM

DSLR + 16-35 + 25-120 or thereabouts should cover most eventualities; back up with a good compact of your choice.

Last Modified By peterjones at 6 May 2013 - 8:26 AM
collywobles
6 May 2013 - 8:30 AM

Quote:
Enjoy yourself. Brugge is a stunningly beautiful place.

It certainly is. If you appreciate a beer, Brugge has thousands of them all different, most great but do watch out for the alcohol content as most are between 8-13% and a couple will knock your socks off...................Blush One of the best restaurants is Bistro Den Huzzaar , Lamingstraat 36, Bruges 8000, Belgium ,+32 (0)50 33 37 97. Its just off the main square and you will need to book.

dcash29
6 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

There is no budget, i was referring to focal length.

Would you take a 10-20 and a 16-85 or just the latter?

scottishphototours

Take both, ideal short travel kit.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 12:59 PM

10-20 & a 28-300 & a good travel tripod i have one of these Giottos Vitruvian VGR Tripods great for holidays.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73817 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 1:22 PM

I would suggest a good all round walkabout lens. My goto for general photography is a 24-120 for full frame. For crop sensor I would look at 18-70 or something similar.

collywobles
6 May 2013 - 3:52 PM

You wont need a tripod, if its dull up the ISO.

dcash29
6 May 2013 - 5:13 PM

I will either take both or just the 16-85. Thanks

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
6 May 2013 - 6:15 PM

but you need a tripod for night shots !

dcash29
7 May 2013 - 6:01 PM

There will be no night photography as that will take up valuable drinking time

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.