Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best lens for gig (low light) photography..Part 2.. for a d7100 camera please...(...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    UrbaneMagick
    20 Jul 2013 - 9:40 PM

Hi Folks.

I had some great inpout from folks on my last thread regarding this, but circumstances have changed a little.

I'm keeping my d2x for landscape photography, but have purchased a D7100 for gig photography.
    I was on the verge of buying the D600 full frame, but have gone for the D7100 so as to leave some money for a decent lens.
    Therefore, I have a grand / 1,000 to spend on a lens . I mainly go to small venues, which are very dark, but also have a backstage/ photography pass for a festival next month.

I'm not averse to buying second hand, & would really appreciate any advice from people who do gig photography themselves.

I've had to put this up as a request part two, as my cash availability has risen .

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UrbaneMagick

Thankyou in advance Smile

Christographer_Hull

Depends what sort of distance you are from the subject but something like the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 or the new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 should be great if you are fairly close to them. If not something like a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 would work well Smile

Anacithidus
    21 Jul 2013 - 4:44 PM

small venue 50mm f1.8 is an absolute must, I love mine, and if you can afford it a 24-70 f2.8, which I want to get next. It also depends on the size of the festival, if it's something like Reading/Leeds you'd need a decent sized zoom (200) as the pit can be set quite far from the stage, check my profile for my gig photos, mostly done in the Voodoo Lounge in Stamford which is a 120 capacity venue

UrbaneMagick
    21 Jul 2013 - 7:14 PM

HI folks, thankyou for the advice.
    Will be getting the 50mm regardless...will check out the 24-70 f2.8 & the 80-200 f2.8 also.
    Many thanks.. I'll update as to my progress Smile

UrbaneMagick
    21 Jul 2013 - 8:58 PM

Hi Anacithidus.

I've just purchased the 24-70 Nikon f 2.8 ..paid over the odds a little, but new from Wex Photographic... Many thanks.

My main vanue is a 300 capacity, but I am also doing a Dorset Festival that has just started up ..with Hugh Cornwell, The Blockheads etc... should be fun.

Anacithidus
    21 Jul 2013 - 11:15 PM

Just had a look at their site, doesn't seem like it'll be a massive thing so you should be able to get right up the stage and get some great shots with that lens. Make sure you go see (and shoot) Bleeding Hearts, top band.

UrbaneMagick
    22 Jul 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hi Anacithidus.
    I'll check out Bleeding Hearts, I've not heard of them.
    Most lookingforward to King Kurt as was a huge fan as a seventeen year old in 1985 Smile

Bands with a "look" Smile

The lens comes through from Wex tomorrow just had a confirmation today Smile

Thanks again,

Gareth

hobbo
    hobbo e2 Member 3798 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jul 2013 - 9:28 AM

Perhaps you need to wait for one of these?

http://esciencenews.com/articles/2013/05/30/ntu.invention.allows.clear.photos.di...

HOBBO

UrbaneMagick
    23 Jul 2013 - 12:07 PM

Hi Hobbo, that's something isn;t it!!
    might be five times cheaper..but I bet it will come out at a premium for the first couple of years!!

Railcam
    Railcam  7477 forum posts Scotland
    23 Jul 2013 - 1:34 PM

Quote: I've just purchased the 24-70 Nikon f 2.8 ..paid over the odds a little, but new from Wex Photographic... Many thanks.

I bought one a few months ago. Cracking lens. Mind you don't cut yourself on it as it is so sharp. I am very impressed at the speed and accuracy of the A/F, even in low light.

I am sure you will not be disappointed.
    Keith

UrbaneMagick
    24 Jul 2013 - 7:28 PM

Hi Keith,

thankyou. that's very reassuring Smile

Railcam
    Railcam  7477 forum posts Scotland
    25 Jul 2013 - 6:32 PM

Do let us know how you get on with it.
    Keith

UrbaneMagick
    26 Jul 2013 - 12:26 PM

cheers Keith, I will doSmile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.