Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Lens for Portait?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BernieS
    BernieS  6243 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:09 PM

I have been "volunteered" to do some portrait shots on Friday. The subjects are an elderly couple, and the shoot will take place in their house.

I have two lenses which may suitable - a Canon 50mm f1.8 & a Canon 24-105 f4L. I'm tempted to use the 50mm as it will allow me to throw the background well out of focus, however should I sacrifice DoF for the higher quality of the glass in the 24-105?

Any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Bernie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:09 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:12 PM

The 50mm may be restricted if there's not much space in the house and it's more suited to portraits, whereas the 24-50 part of the zoom may be more practical.

davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:17 PM

From my point of the 24-105 will do all the 50mm will - not to mention allowing you to get out of their faces -

and if it's dof you are worried about just stop down ??

db

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:21 PM

Quote: I'm tempted to use the 50mm as it will allow me to throw the background well out of focus, however should I sacrifice DoF for the higher quality of the glass in the 24-105?

I wouldn't have said the 24-105mm was of a higher optical quality than the 50mm, not so you would notice anyway.

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:29 PM

Quote: and if it's dof you are worried about just stop down ??

I think Bernie means lack of dof because of the f/1.8 lens which will give a pleasing out of focus background.

davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:42 PM

Of course you're right Pete - a bit of straight thinking on my part would help Sad

db

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72276 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2009 - 5:43 PM

Use both, and then compare results...

BernieS
    BernieS  6243 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Nov 2009 - 9:53 AM

Thanks Guys - will take some practice shots today & see which lens I prefer ... ... ...

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2009 - 10:08 AM

Quote: I wouldn't have said the 24-105mm was of a higher optical quality than the 50mm, not so you would notice anyway

Having got both, you can tell the difference, the 24-105 is brighter and punchier and nicer.

If you're stopping down to f1.8, just be sure you get the focal point right, the DOF is miniscule at that aperture and you could end up with sharp ears and blurry eyes!

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2009 - 11:38 AM

thanks ade, i'd always assumed a prime would be better than a zoom, i'd also assumed the 50mm would be brighter, even at an identical f4 as it had less glass. You've put the 24-105mm up further in my estimation.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2009 - 11:42 AM

F1.8 is loads brighter of course

its just that you're talking about a 60 lens V one that's about 700 - I used to think, from reading this forum, that the 50f1.8 was the best lens in the world, but having used them both in the same situation, I know which I prefer - both from a useability stand point (focus, ability to zoom etc.) and image quality

Not sure that holds true for the F1.4, that's very very sharp indeed and probably is up to L quality... but I still rarely use it!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.