Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Monitors for Photoshop?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tywanda46
    tywanda46  9 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi,
    My Eizo Color Edge CE210W monitor is no longer working and has expired its guarentee. I would be grateful if someone could suggest a good monitor in the range of 400 as I am unable to afford a new Eizo monitor
    many thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Oct 2010 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 12:33 PM

I've just ordered a Dell UltraSharp U2211H last night, so can't comment yet (292)- but it was following advice on here. 82% CIE LAB, 100% sRGB. IPS based monitor with 178dedrees field of view.

HTH

tywanda46
    25 Oct 2010 - 12:46 PM

Many thanks Nick. A friend of mine has a 24" Dell Ultrasharp and can't fault it. He says although he doesn't rate their PC systems he thinks their monitors are excellent. Will definately take a look

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 1:56 PM

Quote: He says although he doesn't rate their PC systems

..don't say that, just ordered one of them too...

keithh
    keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 2:31 PM

Don't worry, Nick. Until went custom build I used Dell for 12 years without any trouble at all.

Nick_w
    25 Oct 2010 - 2:46 PM

Thanks Keith, Only reason I didn't get a custom build was I had poor after sales service last time, the laptop is Dell and they have been first rate. My last work one was Dell and that took some hammer, various airport checkins, thrown around in the boot of the car and dropped once (not recommended) but it stood up well, apart from a dodgy screen hinge.

I'm sure it will be OK for my needs, bit of Photoshop / Lightroom, odd Word letter, and browsing.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Oct 2010 - 3:24 PM

Nick, Just take a look around any big NHS hospital, Or any Police station, Or any big office almost anywhere in this country and many many other parts of the world......Smile

What you are most likely to see in the way of computers is " DELL " They are almost the defacto workhorse/workstation of choice.

They just work, They do thier job, No frills ( Though I do believe they do " Frilly " ones these days Grin ) ........!!!!!!!

I have had several Dells over the years, Never had any problems with them.....Smile

My ( and probably others ) Only real grief with DELL computers is that they are not wildly upgradeable, Sure you can add some extra RAM, Add a better graphic/Sound card, Maybe even add an extra hard drive.......Grin

But generally you can only add one more additional hard drive, The Dell/custom mainboards just don't have the ports for anymore, Same with RAM sometimes, They also have DELL specific cases, So If you fancy updating the mainboard, It has to be a Dell item, Because the standard ATX variants will not fit a DELL case.

Oh! and one last niggle, The Power Supplies, Dell tend to fit a PSU that copes with the bits as fitted in factory, If you add an extra HDD, Sometimes you need to consider a PSU upgrade......!!!

None of these things make the Dell computers a bad buy, In fact if asked what off the peg computer should I buy, Dell is one of my first recommendations.

But if you want total flexibility in the configuration, Total flexibility for future updates/upgrades as and when the technology or your requirements change.......Smile Grin Sad

Then it has to be a proper old " Custom Made " machine everytime.....Grin

Easy for me to say because I build my own custom computers from scratch, Each one specified for a particular task......Bespoke ......Smile Sounds like a very dodgy bit of self advertising......Huh! But no I'm not in that market anymore, Thankfully, But still enjoy knocking up a new box for our use.

So bottom line, Take no notice of the Dell Bashers, Dell are as good if not better than many of the other off the peg solutions.

Wink

Just to underline that fact, I have here an old Dell Dimension 5150, That has been thrashed to hell and back again, Its completely original and I still use it for soft & hardware testing, It runs Windows 7 like a new machine......Grin

Last Modified By cameracat at 25 Oct 2010 - 3:30 PM
    miyaguchi
    miyaguchi  4136 forum posts United Kingdom
    25 Oct 2010 - 6:56 PM

Quote: They just work, They do thier job

And when they stop working, my experience of Dell is that their after sales service is s***!

As I have blogged in several recent Forum questions regarding Monitors the August Edition of Digital Photo did a Group Test. If you have 400 quid to spend take look at the HP ZR24W

tywanda46
    26 Oct 2010 - 2:49 AM

Thanks I have had a look at the reviews on TFT Central for the HP ZR24W and it looks like the best monitor so far

MalcolmS
    MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Oct 2010 - 9:08 PM

I have just gone through the same cycle, had arrived at the same answer but then discovered that it is old technology. Ended up with the Dell 24" Ultrasharp U2410, so far extremely pleased.

SierraGulf1
    26 Oct 2010 - 9:38 PM

West Midlands Police is the second biggest force and they dont use dell, i have a dell monitor and its excelent, i use dual monitors for editing i find it easier!

Is hd 3d card and monitor the way to go?

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.