Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Nikon DSLR Camera for wedding photography?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jhonmartinvish
14 Sep 2012 - 4:18 PM

Im thinking about starting my own business and looking to upgrade my Nikon DSLR, Anybody know the best Nikon camera for wedding photography??

Thanks Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Sep 2012 - 4:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91033 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 4:49 PM

Take your pick; my suggestion would be one of the current full frame bodies.

D700
D800
D4

Or wait for the new D600.

To be honest, pretty much any of the current crop of Nikon bodies will allow you to take decent images at a wedding (I shot one in March on a D300, which is typically touted as a more action/sports-focussed camera).

If you are looking to start a business, you will ideally be looking at the more pro-spec end of Nikon's range, to give you the feature set but also the build quality you would ideally need.

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 5:01 PM

D800 is ideal for pro photography for this line of work. The D4 is more of a sports camera. The D800 will give you amazing detail, especially the brides wedding dress. I would say it's maybe the best camera in it's class in the World.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 6:48 PM

As above - but avoid the D800E. The range of fabrics used in bridal wear could present a real moiré problem.

In pure vfm terms, the D600 at present looks like a non-starter.

For lenses, you really need no more than the 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm (all f/2.8). Possibly add an 85mm f/1.4 if you want to include portraits with great bokeh.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Sep 2012 - 6:50 PM
dathersmith
14 Sep 2012 - 6:53 PM

I'd urge caution with the D800 though, take 1000 images at a wedding and you've used a lot of memory and will require a lot of hard drive space and processing power. No doubt it's a superb camera and I'm even considering one myself as a second body but my workhorse will remain the D3S at present as it's low light capabilities (read in the church) are second to none!

Darren.

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 7:08 PM

Something I have not seen mentioned with file processing here on EPZ is batch processing.....if you get a problem or an error or an opinion from the bride and have to balance a large group of images to maintain a matched colour balance the really large file sizes will present a serious problem..Wedding photography is one of the few fields in this industry were a large number of images are viewed with a definitive colour in mind (try getting the bridesmaids dresses or mother of the brides outfit wrong).

That aside, Any high spec Nikon dslr from the d300/d90 onwards with decent glass will deliver the goods...proof?...what do you think all the wedding shooters were using before all these new bodies came out!!!!

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123934 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 7:11 PM

I have a D3S and am not looking to upgrade it in the near future; it is an outstanding wedding camera; I recently bought a s/h D800 which I will use for back up and also anywhere I need great detail e.g. a large group shot.

VFM I agree the D600 atm is no go but in time the prices will tumble to maybe sub £1500 then possibly it will be a viable proposition.

I note that the s/h market has plenty of the D3 another outstanding wedding camera.

Depends on your budget.

Peter

scottishphototours

Please, don't start me.....

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123934 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 7:48 PM

ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhh peace and love ......

User_Removed
14 Sep 2012 - 8:22 PM

** sigh **

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 - 8:32 PM

....don't forget the back-up body Smile

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
14 Sep 2012 - 9:04 PM

Quote: I have a D3S and am not looking to upgrade it in the near future; it is an outstanding wedding camera; I recently bought a s/h D800 which I will use for back up and also anywhere I need great detail e.g. a large group shot.

Agree totally, the D3s is so good in low light and the D800 so fine in detail that as wedding tools they will be hard to beat , I use my D800 for all page backgounds because it gives so much control and image quality, and anything that moves or indoors gets the D3 or D3s they go where flash will never go.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 - 9:04 PM

Quote: ....don't forget the back-up body Smile

What incase the bride doesn't turn up? Wink

Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81104 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
14 Sep 2012 - 10:15 PM

and

Last Modified By Eviscera at 14 Sep 2012 - 10:17 PM
Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
14 Sep 2012 - 10:52 PM

Quote: ....don't forget the back-up body Smile

What incase the bride doesn't turn up? Wink

Maybe he meant the stunt bride.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.