Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Best Nikon SLR?

thewilliam 6 4.7k
25 Feb 2011 6:35PM
The top-end full-frame Sony has the same sensor as the D3 and it's a fraction of the price.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hjaphoto 4 1
28 Feb 2011 11:22AM
Easy for me to answer: D3x is the best camera money can buy, lots of money, but it is a very good camera and my opinion worht the money - I love my D3x as I love any other nikon i have been shooting - still use my D300 a lot, also a great camera.
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
28 Feb 2011 11:47AM

Quote:however to contradict a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet, let in water and cost me 600+ to get put right conveniently NOT covered in the guarantee so the D700 is my most unfavourite and worst (D)SLR of all time.

.... But why does that make it a bad camera? any camera that gets wet will have problems, and you will find most are not covered under warranty - and may not be covered under your house insurance. And yes I do know what its like .... My brand new D300 was a "victim" of the English Channel, and that was a complete write off.

BTW the D700 in my opinion is far better than the D300.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2011 1:23PM
I include reliability as one of the virtues of a best SLR.
Rock e2
12 10 2 England
17 Mar 2011 3:13PM
D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
17 Mar 2011 6:34PM

Quote:D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock

Is that not down to a lens limitation rather than a camera failing? The camera can only focus as close as the fitted lens allows.
dlegros 12 217 England
17 Mar 2011 6:35PM

Quote:D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock

I'm a bit confused by this statement.

The Close-Up Vari-program (according to the manual)

Quote:Use for close-up shots of flowers, insects, and other small objects. The camera automatically focuses on the subject in the center focus area.
Use of a tripod is recommended to prevent blur.

However, swapping between the different modes quickly on my D80 (1st time it's not been on M, S or A) I can't really see what it achieves.

The ability to focus closely is a function of the lens attached to the body, not the exposure mode you select. My 70mm macro lens can focus down to a few centimeters, whilst the 70-200 will only come into a couple of metres.

If you are using the 18-135 kit lens, your minimum focus is about 45cm, choosing a different exposure program won't change it.
AntonS 3 10 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 5:26PM
The best SLR?

That'll be the D5000 that I've recently purchased.....why?

Cos it's MINE!
RRRoger 4 53 United States
19 Apr 2011 2:50PM
Best for high end Landscape and Portrait work: D3x
Best for general purpose & especially High ISO: D3s
Best for the money & especially trips and hikes: D7000
Scotty 10 64 1 Scotland
30 Apr 2011 12:33PM

Quote:My F4S..............totally reliable after nearly 20 years service !

It's also great as a door stop !!!

I have to agree. My F4S is still going strong. It's a pity in Aberdeen Jessops seem to have stopped stocking Velvia though.

Digital wise, I like my D700, but I prefer my D70.....I can't say why, just a lot easier to use I think...
Scotty 10 64 1 Scotland
30 Apr 2011 12:38PM

Quote:D3S and FM2; there both mediums covered Grin; however to contradict a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet, let in water and cost me 600+ to get put right conveniently NOT covered in the guarantee so the D700 is my most unfavourite and worst (D)SLR of all time.

Peter.

Bit careless to get it wet - perhaps a hood would have been cheaper than the repair? I've used my D70 and D700 without a cover in light drizzle, and not a problem, just make sure they get dried properly afterwards.
peterjones 12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2011 10:05PM
maybe careless, silly, stupid, maybe lots of things however it doesn't take my point away, it happened.
Scotty 10 64 1 Scotland
30 Apr 2011 10:27PM
Aye, well, one day we all get caught out sometimes! I'm just hoping my time isn't as expensive as yours!

Regards,
Scotty
topsyrm e2
3 27
17 May 2011 10:45PM
The best one is the one you have with you!Wink
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
29 May 2011 8:31PM

Quote:a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet

Lets take a close look at this particular statement.......Grin

The wretched thing got wet.....? ? ?

Yes folks here we are lead to believe that a Nikon D700 has a mind of its own.....Smile

First it takes a peek out of the camera bag, Then if its raining or there is a convenient river near by, The Nikon D700 leaps from the camera bag, The spashes around in all that loverly H2O stuff, Some say the D700 even sings the old classic " Singing In The Rain " as it does so......Grin

LOL.....Yeah its an amusing concept for sure, But the truth is treat your camera like a numpty and it will cost you dearly for repairs.......Sad

Next time out why not try using the onboard speedlight as well......Smile Or better still next time your taking a bath, Get yourself a submarine....!!!

As to the original question, This post is almost 3 years old, So I'm guessing its kinda pointless.....Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.