Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Nikon SLR?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
25 Feb 2011 - 6:35 PM

The top-end full-frame Sony has the same sensor as the D3 and it's a fraction of the price.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2011 - 6:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hjaphoto
hjaphoto  3
28 Feb 2011 - 11:22 AM

Easy for me to answer: D3x is the best camera money can buy, lots of money, but it is a very good camera and my opinion worht the money - I love my D3x as I love any other nikon i have been shooting - still use my D300 a lot, also a great camera.

Last Modified By hjaphoto at 28 Feb 2011 - 11:25 AM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73879 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 11:47 AM

Quote: however to contradict a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet, let in water and cost me 600+ to get put right conveniently NOT covered in the guarantee so the D700 is my most unfavourite and worst (D)SLR of all time.

.... But why does that make it a bad camera? any camera that gets wet will have problems, and you will find most are not covered under warranty - and may not be covered under your house insurance. And yes I do know what its like .... My brand new D300 was a "victim" of the English Channel, and that was a complete write off.

BTW the D700 in my opinion is far better than the D300.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123937 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Feb 2011 - 1:23 PM

I include reliability as one of the virtues of a best SLR.

Rock
Rock e2 Member 12Rock vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Mar 2011 - 3:13 PM

D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
17 Mar 2011 - 6:34 PM

Quote: D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock

Is that not down to a lens limitation rather than a camera failing? The camera can only focus as close as the fitted lens allows.

dlegros
dlegros  12217 forum posts England
17 Mar 2011 - 6:35 PM

Quote: D80 a excellent camera just let down very slightly by the Flower setting,could be able to get in a little closer as it would certainty enhance the sturdy fine piece of photographic equipment.

Rock

I'm a bit confused by this statement.

The Close-Up Vari-program (according to the manual)

Quote: Use for close-up shots of flowers, insects, and other small objects. The camera automatically focuses on the subject in the center focus area.
Use of a tripod is recommended to prevent blur.

However, swapping between the different modes quickly on my D80 (1st time it's not been on M, S or A) I can't really see what it achieves.

The ability to focus closely is a function of the lens attached to the body, not the exposure mode you select. My 70mm macro lens can focus down to a few centimeters, whilst the 70-200 will only come into a couple of metres.

If you are using the 18-135 kit lens, your minimum focus is about 45cm, choosing a different exposure program won't change it.

AntonS
AntonS  3 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2011 - 5:26 PM

The best SLR?

That'll be the D5000 that I've recently purchased.....why?

Cos it's MINE!

RRRoger
RRRoger  453 forum posts United States
19 Apr 2011 - 2:50 PM

Best for high end Landscape and Portrait work: D3x
Best for general purpose & especially High ISO: D3s
Best for the money & especially trips and hikes: D7000

Scotty
Scotty  964 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2011 - 12:33 PM

Quote: My F4S..............totally reliable after nearly 20 years service !

It's also great as a door stop !!!

I have to agree. My F4S is still going strong. It's a pity in Aberdeen Jessops seem to have stopped stocking Velvia though.

Digital wise, I like my D700, but I prefer my D70.....I can't say why, just a lot easier to use I think...

Scotty
30 Apr 2011 - 12:38 PM

Quote: D3S and FM2; there both mediums covered Grin; however to contradict a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet, let in water and cost me 600+ to get put right conveniently NOT covered in the guarantee so the D700 is my most unfavourite and worst (D)SLR of all time.

Peter.

Bit careless to get it wet - perhaps a hood would have been cheaper than the repair? I've used my D70 and D700 without a cover in light drizzle, and not a problem, just make sure they get dried properly afterwards.

peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123937 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Apr 2011 - 10:05 PM

maybe careless, silly, stupid, maybe lots of things however it doesn't take my point away, it happened.

Scotty
30 Apr 2011 - 10:27 PM

Aye, well, one day we all get caught out sometimes! I'm just hoping my time isn't as expensive as yours!

Regards,
Scotty

topsyrm
topsyrm e2 Member 327 forum poststopsyrm vcard
17 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

The best one is the one you have with you!Wink

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 May 2011 - 8:31 PM

Quote: a post I made in 2009 definitely NOT the D700 as the wretched thing got wet

Lets take a close look at this particular statement.......Grin

The wretched thing got wet.....? ? ?

Yes folks here we are lead to believe that a Nikon D700 has a mind of its own.....Smile

First it takes a peek out of the camera bag, Then if its raining or there is a convenient river near by, The Nikon D700 leaps from the camera bag, The spashes around in all that loverly H2O stuff, Some say the D700 even sings the old classic " Singing In The Rain " as it does so......Grin

LOL.....Yeah its an amusing concept for sure, But the truth is treat your camera like a numpty and it will cost you dearly for repairs.......Sad

Next time out why not try using the onboard speedlight as well......Smile Or better still next time your taking a bath, Get yourself a submarine....!!!

As to the original question, This post is almost 3 years old, So I'm guessing its kinda pointless.....Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.