Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

best of the shelf birthday cake

28 Feb 2013 7:16PM
is m&s still the best place for birthday cakes

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
28 Feb 2013 7:41PM
No.....Home-made is best.............no preservatives, additives, filler, chalk, E numbers or horse.............GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 8:52PM
I got one from Waitrose for my wife and her sister for their 70th Birthday, beautifully presented and great flavour. Good value too
Meheecho 2 275 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2013 9:44PM

Quote:No.....Home-made is best.............no preservatives, additives, filler, chalk, E numbers or horse.............GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Mother in law made one --- contained horse chestnutsGrinGrinGrinGrin
MG1964 3 12 England
28 Feb 2013 10:11PM
I still like M&S cakes Smile
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
1 Mar 2013 7:47AM
Homemade is best...............but Morrisons do some wonderful 'off the shelf' ones, a lot cheaper then M&S! Wink
AlexandraSD 3 435 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 10:54AM
Homemade all the way, ready made cakes look too uniform, and a bit dull if im honest, they lack character and charm, their too perfect and pristine, homemade cakes always look more inviting, and its not like their hard to make, though decorating them can be challenging, but you dont need a degree in bakery now to make gorgeous cakes, you can buy ready make icing in many colours which can be rolled out and applied over sponges, and icing pens do a great job with intricate icing patterns, but the best thing about baking cakes at home? The aroma Grin
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 11:08AM
We don't buy many cakes on account of my wife's sensitivity to wheat, but we usually buy either Tesco or M&S for small scale, or Costco do some very good ones as well.
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
1 Mar 2013 11:11AM
Or talk to your local cake shop/bakery.
This is a custom made one from Aulds that my wife had made last year for my retirement.

img-5552a.jpg

She had to make the icing sheep but the bakery made the rest.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
1 Mar 2013 11:21AM

Quote:Or talk to your local cake shop/bakery.

In my case that would be either Waitrose or Sainsburys.
NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
1 Mar 2013 11:44AM
Today I've just made and baked a Bara Brith..........the house is filled with the aroma of home made baking............it took less time to bake than jumping in the car to visit the stores (I live in a Rural village with no shops of any kind so need a vehicle) the cake will keep for weeks in an air tight container and it tastes so good spread with real butter and Bramble jelly...............I'm off now to bake some bread...........so much healthier than the plastic bread in the supermarkets...........tis making me hungry thinking about it..........GrinGrinGrin

Have a good day...........SmileSmileSmileSmile
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 2:12PM
I love Bara Brith!
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 2:13PM
I bake my own bread quite regularly. I have a bread machine, which is great for making the dough but I've found that nothing quite matches taking that dough and giving it another thumping then baking it in the oven. Has a much better texture than letting the bread machine do the whole job.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.