Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

best paper for A4 size prints

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pwarner500
    pwarner500 e2 Member 128 forum postspwarner500 vcard United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

Hi folks, just wondering what you would class as a good paper for printing A4 pics, ie Matt....Semi gloss....Gloss etc, also weight wise aswell.
    oh yeh for inkjet printer (epson stylus photo R300 and epson stylus SX435W) any help advice would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Mar 2013 - 2:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110227 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 3:21 PM

It would help a lot if you let us know what sort of images you want to print and for what purpose as its a wide open subject otherwise with too many options

ikett
    ikett  3339 forum posts England
    20 Mar 2013 - 3:41 PM

Easiest answer, Epson printers, Epson papers, they were made for each other.

mikehit
    mikehit  56296 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 3:58 PM

I have used Epson papers and Permajet papers on my R300 - there seems little difference in colour profile. Whether you use gloss, pearl, matte etc is all down to personal preference.

justin c
    justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:00 PM

There is no 'best' paper as such. A lot depends on personal preference, the type of image and what you're planning to do with the final print, i.e. left loose, sell it, put it in a portfolio, frame and hang it, etc. etc.
    Personally I'm not a fan of glossy papers, preferring a semi-gloss paper for general every day use, such as Ilford Galerie Prestige Smooth Pearl.
    Matt papers can work well also. I like using a matt paper on fairly low contrast type images that don't have an abundance of bright and saturated colours. It works well with misty scenes for instance. I also like using a matt paper if the image is to be framed to keep any reflections to a minimum.
    Textured fine art papers are more expensive generally, but again, they can work very well with certain types of images. A light texture to the paper can often further enhance images with a lot of textured detail in them.

Regarding paper weight. I find the heavier weight papers feel a lot better 'in the hand' when viewing prints. It feels slightly more luxurious and gives a feeling of enhanced quality over the lighter weight papers. Certainly not a deal breaker and the papers around 250gsm are absolutely fine for every day use, but for favourite prints, then a heavier weight of 310/320 gsm is a good weight IMO and gives that extra little something to the print.

Most paper manufacturers sell sample packs of various papers to give a good idea of what each paper is capable of. It's worth trying some of those to see what appeals. I find the experimentation with various papers one of the advantages and pleasures of home printing.

Last Modified By justin c at 20 Mar 2013 - 5:07 PM
    EG
    EG  5 United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:44 PM

If you have a Costco card there own brand paper is superb and reasonably priced, I think they only do gloss but it is great

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 5:53 PM

Quote: Epson printers, Epson papers, they were made for each other.

That's what the printer manufacturer would like you to believe and you've fell for it.
    It does not take too much time and effort to realise that there are many papers on the market that are far superior to the printer makers own brand.

mikehit
    mikehit  56296 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:31 PM

If you buy Permajet, you can print off their test charts send it off to them and they will send to you a colour profile free of charge.

saxon_image
    20 Mar 2013 - 6:47 PM

I don't print much at home but find 7DayShop 270gsm glossy paper works fine on an Epson R265 on normal Epson glossy settings other then resetting the gamma to 1.8 (printer driver defaults to 2.2). This paper won't give Permajet quality but is perfectly acceptable for general printing.

pwarner500
    pwarner500 e2 Member 128 forum postspwarner500 vcard United Kingdom
    20 Mar 2013 - 7:36 PM

thanks for the input and advice everybody. did forget to say its mainly portraits but i think iv learned all i need to know...thanks again

MrDennis
    MrDennis  5226 forum posts Wales
    20 Mar 2013 - 11:29 PM

For Portraits buy the Satin or Lustre. I find the Lustre to be better. I use Fotospeed, Epson, 7dayshop, Harman Lite Lustre and find only a suttle difference between them. Choice is personel in the end. But my Preference is for PPD photo paper Satin / Pearl 280g at 19.99 for every day use. Looks and feels and prints the same as the other expensive ones at 35 and above. Mind You, I use a different paper for my Mono Work, though all those mentioned is good.

10delboy
    10delboy e2 Member 110delboy vcard United Kingdom
    24 Mar 2013 - 7:08 PM

i agree with EG Costco own (Kirkland) make is great !50 A4 sheets about 15-00 it is gloss i wish they sold it in A3.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.