Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best PC for photoshop/Lightroom??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    backbeat
    backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 8:49 PM

My laptop is starting to strain at the seams under the weight of all my photo editing software..
    I think I'll have to return to using a PC, but I'm no computer techy and the choice out there is bewildering..

Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Apr 2012 - 8:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104527 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 8:54 PM

Your best bet is to go to Adobe's website and you should find a detailed list of of minimum and recommended system requirements for running Photoshop and Lightroom.

tpfkapm
    tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2012 - 9:00 PM

imac

sparrowhawk
    sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 9:24 PM

totally agree with the previous comment IMACallthe way nothing can touch em

backbeat
    backbeat  8134 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 9:46 PM

Can't go the iMac route I'm afraid...all my software is PC based..

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 102980 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2012 - 10:06 PM

Rather like changing camera brands when you have lenses and other accessories that has to go with it.
    Windows I think you mean. Most software has a dual install for both OS.
    Choice is bewildering and changing all the time plus your budget.
    Medion give a 3 year warranty and worth looking at.
    Medion

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2012 - 12:11 AM

I think there is a typo at work here. The full phrase is iMacs are blighted with gloss screens so yes to many photographers they are untouchable, for the wrong reason.

So if you are staying lap top I suggest you start with the screen, and pick a good non-glossy one. then look to have at least 6G of RAM, and if processing of images is important look for i3 or better i5 core. After that HD size and of course battery life size/weight. A desk machine with a separate monitor is still the best. And operating system, the last option to think of once you have the important stuff sorted. They are all PC's after all.

Last Modified By strawman at 24 Apr 2012 - 12:15 AM
    Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2012 - 12:34 AM

Quote: The full phrase is iMacs are blighted with gloss screens

So is any screen if you sit with your back to the sun. Honestly, it isn't a unique phenomena.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2012 - 12:46 AM

I know reflections are not unique but you can take steps to reduce them, and you can take steps to maximise them. Its a glaring product flaw for photographers and so is a real reason for discounting them as photographer tools. Its not like there are not matt screens, plenty of other PCs have them, and yes its normally aimed at the less professional devices. Apple for some perverse reason have so far failed to offer matt screens though rumours abound of them at long last fixing this design flaw.

The best monitors for photography are not glossy, it is as simple as that. The rest well who cares as long as it reliably runs the applications and has the processing power/memory needed. And the good lap tops have the option to have non-glossy screens.

Last Modified By strawman at 24 Apr 2012 - 12:48 AM
    Zatoichi
    Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2012 - 4:30 PM

Quote: I know reflections are not unique but you can take steps to reduce them

Like doing your editing in a dimly lit room, seems sensible wether you have a PC or Mac, problem cured Wink

Pat_Stones
    24 Apr 2012 - 5:15 PM

I can't do my editing on the Mac due to the terrible reflections. Even if I turn all the light in the room the light from the screen lights me and the desk up which is then reflected in the glossy monitor. Why do they make them with such glossy monitors when it spoils photo editing. I notice a girl in another thread is hoping the new ones will have matte screens so she can replace her glossy one.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.