Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best photo imaging "not Adobe elements"

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bluke
    Bluke  9303 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 11:38 AM

First of all right now I am using LR 4 and Elements 11 also portrait professional 10.. "don't use much tho".. I have in the past used CS3 .. yes but on my old PC..Sad
    Now I can't justify buying CS6 or even renting it "yes it sounds very good value right now but" .. maybe after 12 months as my contract with Adobe might say I have to continue using it for another 12 months at the price of 50 per month... One of my favorite tools in CS3 was layers but in Elements 11 layers are cumbersome.. Is there any software out there that do layering other than Adobe...??? ( Anyone using a decent software other than Elements ...)
    Cheers Grin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2014 - 11:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    14 Apr 2014 - 1:02 PM

onOne produce something called "Perfect Layers," which, I believe, integrates with LR, although I'm not sure about Elements.

As a viable alternative to Elements, I used to use Serif PhotoPlus, which included layers amongst its arsenal years ago, so I imagine it still does.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53587 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 1:03 PM

Gimp is free and has layer functionality.

crookymonsta
    crookymonsta e2 Member 6692 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 1:13 PM

Paint Shop Pro X6 is fast gaining popularity following Adobe's decision to go down the licencing route. I have used it for years and it does have many of the features of Elements, including layers. At a one off cost of about 45 it ticks all the boxes for me.

Bluke
    14 Apr 2014 - 3:48 PM

O right thank you guys.... I think I got lazy with the easy way CS3 work with layers, I had got used to Adobe for years and find it hard to change so now I have a choice, pay all the money Adobe wants or get my finger out and and start learning new stuff.. Sad Thank you for taking the time. Smile)
    Barbara

indemnity
    indemnity  5329 forum posts
    14 Apr 2014 - 4:49 PM

I use Paintshop Pro x6 64 bit, much improved than earlier versions, it now auto saves as you progress instead of crashing and losing the work, the way it used to do. My only criticism is the Raw converter is absolutely useless for IIQ Raw image conversion.

I use Capture One v7 for the Raw conversion and/or mono and majority of the work flow, then export to X6 for manipulation and other editing.

Dave_Canon
    14 Apr 2014 - 5:49 PM

I was not entirely clear why you could no longer use CS3 but nor was not aware that layers in Elements 11 is that deficient in layers. I do have Elements but do not use it apart from demos. Could you explain what it is about Elements/layers that PS does much better?

I am not suggesting that you necessarily buy into CC but I am certainly not going to worry about the possibility that Adobe might put the price up to 50 a month in 12 months time. It is extremely unlikely but, if they did, I would not renew. I suspect most other subscribers would also not renew. I am sure most subscribers still have licenced software and would just go back to using that. I understand your reluctance to buy into CC which I am also not happy about. However, it is not just about price. Unless Adobe issue some really worthwhile improvements for photographers to PS cc then I may as well revert to PS CS6 (which I already have) and just keep LR up-to-date.

I have looked at OnOne Perfect Layers and while it does not add layers to LR as is sometimes implied, it does look a more user friendly layers facility than Adobe.

Dave

Last Modified By Dave_Canon at 14 Apr 2014 - 5:52 PM
    franken
    franken e2 Member 113108 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 6:28 PM

I've one of these that I use inconjunction with other programs.

It has more to offer than photoshop elements and it does have layers.

Unlike photoshop Elements, it has curves etc.

I mostly use it for it's excellent B&W processing.

The raw processing is crude and not a patch on Elements.

I paid more for it than the price shown here as version 6 is out.

There are plenty of reviews on the web.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PHOTOPLUS-x5-Digital-Photo-Editing-inc-Panorama-Pl...

Ken

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 7:52 PM

Quote: First of all right now I am using LR 4 and Elements 11 also portrait professional 10.. "don't use much tho".. I have in the past used CS3 .. yes but on my old PC..Sad
    Now I can't justify buying CS6 or even renting it "yes it sounds very good value right now but" .. maybe after 12 months as my contract with Adobe might say I have to continue using it for another 12 months at the price of 50 per month... One of my favorite tools in CS3 was layers but in Elements 11 layers are cumbersome.. Is there any software out there that do layering other than Adobe...??? ( Anyone using a decent software other than Elements ...)
    Cheers Grin

maybe after 12 months as my contract with Adobe might say I have to continue using it for another 12 months at the price of 50 per month

This will not happen, sure it can go up but so can a loaf of bread or a pint of milk, its not suddenly going to jump up in price by 600 %.

Paint Shop Pro X6 is fast gaining popularity following Adobe's decision to go down the licencing route

You have always needed a license.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 14 Apr 2014 - 7:53 PM
    Bluke
    14 Apr 2014 - 7:59 PM

I was not entirely clear why you could no longer use CS3 but nor was not aware that layers in Elements 11 is that deficient in layers. I do have Elements but do not use it apart from demos. Could you explain what it is about Elements/layers that PS does much better?
    Dave I just think that since I used CS3 for a few years I was comfortable with it and elements just doesn't seem the same to me .. but that just might be me,I just can't seem to be able to do digital work as good as I did with CS3.... I hate change. Sad
    I only have CS3 on my old PC ... I couldn't trans fare CS3 it to my new PC.. Sad
    Also I was told that in about 12 months of using CS6 9 package it could go to about 50 per month..."" Now I don't know if that is just for schools/colleges or company's or single usage as well..... Reading your reply again Dave I might just bight the bullet on go for it... thanks for taking the time to help......
    Cheers Barbara

Bluke
    14 Apr 2014 - 8:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice... Best Regards Grin

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2014 - 8:30 PM

Quote: I was not entirely clear why you could no longer use CS3 but nor was not aware that layers in Elements 11 is that deficient in layers. I do have Elements but do not use it apart from demos. Could you explain what it is about Elements/layers that PS does much better?
    Dave I just think that since I used CS3 for a few years I was comfortable with it and elements just doesn't seem the same to me .. but that just might be me,I just can't seem to be able to do digital work as good as I did with CS3.... I hate change. Sad
    I only have CS3 on my old PC ... I couldn't trans fare CS3 it to my new PC.. Sad
    Also I was told that in about 12 months of using CS6 9 package it could go to about 50 per month..."" Now I don't know if that is just for schools/colleges or company's or single usage as well..... Reading your reply again Dave I might just bight the bullet on go for it... thanks for taking the time to help......
    Cheers Barbara

You were told, who by ?

Ignore the scare mingers and self appointed Adobe experts Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 14 Apr 2014 - 8:34 PM
    Bluke
    14 Apr 2014 - 8:49 PM

Yes Paul it just he might have been a know it all.. who knows nothing... cheers Guys.... Grin

phil44
    phil44  8 United Kingdom
    15 Apr 2014 - 10:35 AM

I have re-installed my old version of CS3 on a new 64bit PC and it works just fine, it accepted the original licence code without any issues and works as it always did.
    I also have Elements 11 to use as a demo for newcomers to Photography as they often can't afford CS versions or don't want to go down the Rental route.
    I just can't see Adobe going in for a huge Rental increase unless they want to lose most of their customers, or unless it's a kind of volume licencing for several PC's.

Bluke
    15 Apr 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have re-installed my old version of CS3 on a new 64bit PC and it works just fine, it accepted the original licence code without any issues and works as it always did.
    Phil I just can't seem to get my windows 8.1 to accept the number .. even got on to Adobe with no avail ...Yes mine is also 64bit...
    I have tried the trial version of CS6 and loved it much better than CS3... so I can see myself getting it ... Tongue...
    Thanks for taking the time... B

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.