Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best place to stand at motor sport events ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    andypitstop
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi guy's ,
    can anyone give me some pointers on places to stand at motor sports events? Is it possibe to get to places withouth high fences between you and the track ,also what distances from the action are you on average are we talking 200mm or 400mm lenses ! Brands hatch is hopefully my first outing..
    Andy

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

motoads
    motoads  7 Australia
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:15 AM

Hi Andy,

all depends on the sorts of shots you wanna get mate.

for panning you need to be as close as you can to the action, but for more static front on shots you can afford to be a little further away...

im spoilt because my local race track is phillip island. no cage fences, and for a good deal of the track spectator points are only 10 metres or so from the action :o)

so i can get by with a 200mm for close up panning, but i usually take my 300 in case i wanna get really close, for something different.

the other reason i take my 300 is because i cant be bothered with the crush at podium time, so i choose to stand a way back and get the action from a heightened spot...

i guess the short answer is, you will probably work it all out for yourself, depending on what results you want, and what youre prepared to do to get them!

all the best at brands mate, ads :o)

Last Modified By motoads at 15 Mar 2008 - 11:17 AM
    Slippery_Jim
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:57 AM

best place at Brands is Paddock Hill bend, you can see the grid and up into Druids and across to the Graham Hill bend, but get there early to stake your claim as its a popular spot to watch from

andypitstop
    15 Mar 2008 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the feed back.....are you allways behind high fences!
    Andy

Last Modified By andypitstop at 15 Mar 2008 - 12:23 PM
    Slippery_Jim
    15 Mar 2008 - 12:28 PM

Quote: Thanks for the feed back.....are you allways behind high fences!
    Andy

Afraid so, but you can focus them out

triumphv8
    triumphv8  7450 forum posts United Kingdom
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:11 PM

Andy,

Depending on the course layout it is possible to find places where your viewpoint is higher than the fence but still quite close to the action.

Donnington has a banked paddock with public access by car and foot.

Oulton Park has some banked areas and foot access to the paddock. I think vehicle access is club or invitation only.

Croft is flat with no paddock, but has banks around about 50% of it.

u47sb2
    u47sb2  836 forum posts Scotland
    15 Mar 2008 - 11:49 PM

How's this for an idea: find a forest rally and go and explore. Most allow you the freedom to wander around to find a decent spot to snap away from, sometimes only a few feet from the track. Rally cars, gravel/mud, noise, dust, sideways action...

One rule to remember though - if in doubt about how safe it is keep something very solid (tree) between you and the track.

wildcard
    wildcard  7 England
    20 Mar 2008 - 5:41 PM

Quote: Hi guy's ,
    can anyone give me some pointers on places to stand at motor sports events? Is it possibe to get to places withouth high fences between you and the track ,also what distances from the action are you on average are we talking 200mm or 400mm lenses ! Brands hatch is hopefully my first outing..
    Andy

There are now two main spots at Brands (on the Indy Circuit) without the high catchfences - inside of Druids and inside of Surtees. Both should be OK with a 200mm zoom. Clearways entry has been changed over the winter and I don't think spectators are allowed there anymore.

strawman
    strawman  1022004 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2008 - 6:22 PM

Think on tracks like Thruxton, and Castle Coombe, the latter is very good for viewing points. OK its a lower form of motor sport but you know what I think it is more fun to watch.

I remember watching a Rover V5 racing a Honda civic, very entertaining, the rover powering past on the straights, the Civic nipping through on the inside at corners, and for tight racing, little touches Maestro racing, they have no worries about contact Smile

andypitstop
    20 Mar 2008 - 7:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys... hope to put it to the test soon ....Andy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.