Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best places to buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

AndreaJ
AndreaJ  1 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 5:30 PM

Any comments on the best places to buy equipment and why?
Need to help Brother look for a SLR...or something similar x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Sep 2012 - 5:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
19 Sep 2012 - 5:41 PM

Amazon.co.uk is great on prices + reliable.
JNC

AndreaJ
19 Sep 2012 - 5:52 PM

Any places you can think of where I can maybe get hands on first then check around online for pricing??? please x

779HOB
779HOB  21003 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 5:55 PM

I know a great shop you can go to and handle the kit but if you are then going to buy online I'm not going to waste their time.

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 5:58 PM

This provides a good guide as to current prices

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

Quote: Any places you can think of where I can maybe get hands on first then check around online for pricing???

Jessops, PC World, COmet
I can't say I agree with trying in store then buying online but each to their own. Having said that, many of the large chains are comparable with online prices unless you want to buy grey imports.

StuartAt
StuartAt e2 Member 91031 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 6:08 PM

Depending on where you are based, Wex have a showroom in Norwich and are very competitive online too.

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 8:42 PM

Value basket are very keenly priced (i got my nikon there) but the goods are grey imports Grin

Rod

AndreaJ
19 Sep 2012 - 8:47 PM

Thanks everyone x
Didn't mean to upset anyone...of course if I get good customer service and good information off the stores I will buy from there, wasn't meaning that I would just then buy at best price online.....prices are good to know when you are buying in store x

parallax
parallax e2 Member 5111 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
19 Sep 2012 - 9:03 PM

Simply electronics.net and HDEW Cameras are in many cases by far the cheapest online. Wilkinsons and Park Cameras are very good too.

Mrserenesunrise
Mrserenesunrise e2 Member 350 forum postsMrserenesunrise vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Sep 2012 - 9:45 PM

Camera World have got a very good reputation, and have branches in Chelmsford and London.
Simply electronics have a BAD reputation.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62437 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 9:49 AM

The good place for your brother to start is Jessops - because they usually have a local branch and a range of equipment.
As you describe yourself as a complete photographic novice in your profile, with respect I do not think you should try to help your brother choose a DSLR.

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: Thanks everyone x
Didn't mean to upset anyone...of course if I get good customer service and good information off the stores I will buy from there, wasn't meaning that I would just then buy at best price online.....prices are good to know when you are buying in store x

Personally, I tend to buy online without any prior handling "in the flesh". But I accept that not everyone is comfortable with that.

Whereas some might consider that using a store to examine the goods, while intending to then purchase online, is unethical, there is another perfectly ethical strategy to use - check the online prices first, print out the best one, and take that with you to the shop. After examining the good in the shop, ask if they can match the best online price.

AndreaJ
20 Sep 2012 - 1:38 PM

I always look at online prices so I can get a good deal in store...no one wants to be ripped off.
PS We have not got anyone near professional standards in photography so a second opinion may not be a professional opinion, but it is another opinion. We will be taking the technical input from the stores and then making sure it looks nice, feels nice...no good buying a camera that doesn't sit right in your hand etc x will be fun I'm sure...like the blind leading the blind!!

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 81061 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 2:00 PM

I bought my last two Canon DSLRs from Wilkinsons. My branch in Warrington really know what they are talking about and usually match match on-line prices.

thewilliam
20 Sep 2012 - 2:11 PM

We've bought our Nikon kit at Grays of Westminster. Not the cheapest, but they'll sort things out very quickly in the unlikely event of a problem. As a vulgar professional, I can't afford the hassle of second-rate kit from doubtful sources.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.