Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best places to buy?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46148 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Sep 2012 - 3:17 PM

How much are you wanting to spend?
Why DSLR? Have you considered micro four-thirds from Panasonic or Olympus? Being smaller he is more likely to carry it with him when out and about.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Sep 2012 - 3:17 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Sep 2012 - 4:29 PM

Quote: How much are you wanting to spend?
Why DSLR? Have you considered micro four-thirds from Panasonic or Olympus? Being smaller he is more likely to carry it with him when out and about.

I have to agree that this option is worthy of consideration for anyone who is not already wedded to a dSLR.

I use (and love) a Nikon D800 but I bought a s/h Olympus OM-D E-M5 this week and, even after only a few days use, I have to say that I am very impressed with it. It might be a very good first step for someone wanting to "move up" in the camera world.

AndreaJ
AndreaJ  1 United Kingdom
20 Sep 2012 - 5:42 PM

I'm in the North East of England....anything up this way??

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Sep 2012 - 7:41 AM

It might be too far to travel but Wilkinson Cameras have branches at Kendal and Carlisle

CORNISHBOY
5 Oct 2012 - 8:53 PM

Hi Andrea You rely cant Fault WEX they allways send it by Courier and you get it next day, and I find their customer service exellant they are so helpfull.''

AndreaJ
6 Oct 2012 - 3:56 PM

thanks everyone.....not bought anything yet, but planning another trip out soon Smile

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
7 Oct 2012 - 9:12 AM

Quote: Hi Andrea You rely cant Fault WEX they allways send it by Courier and you get it next day, and I find their customer service exellant they are so helpfull.''

I must admit I have found them excellent. I once bought a Gitzo tripod at a bargain price (it was a clearance item) and then replaced the fabric case as it had a hole in it. They used to be one of the cheapest places too, but in the last year or too their prices have increased, sadly. Grays of Westminster are also very good, and not always expensive. They are perhaps the best place in Britain for hard to find Nikon items.

AndreaJ
9 Oct 2012 - 10:38 AM

Thanks guys...I will check them out online x

User_Removed
9 Oct 2012 - 11:17 AM

ProCameras on line - 3% discount if you pay by bank transfer, excellent service but they are grey imports but you get a 12 month seller warranty

AndreaJ
9 Oct 2012 - 11:24 AM

OOh that sounds good x will have a look thanks x

strawman
strawman  1021999 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:34 AM

Oh I hate Bank transfer, so little protection, especially when dealing with non-europe based suppliers. In short my advice is credit card or walk away. Warranty well take your chance, but the potential to pay and get nothing would worry me.

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Oct 2012 - 11:34 AM
KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 11:44 AM

Quote: Simply electronics.net and HDEW Cameras are in many cases by far the cheapest online. Wilkinsons and Park Cameras are very good too.

Before taking That Advice do a search On here or the net for Simply electronics, as you should with all the reccomended companys. Some good reccomenadations above alongside some most of us would even consider.
So always do some research on the company before commiting

Leif
Leif  9722 forum posts
9 Oct 2012 - 6:51 PM

You might do well to buy one of the photo mags from W H Smith (other good newsagents are available), and narrow down the choice, since some are clearly better than others. Note down the prices, ring the local shops, and ask which can come close to good prices. You probably won't match internet only shops, but you are paying for service, and that is worth it is it not? Some might be willing to negotiate for a sale. But if you pay with a credit card, the shop takes a financial hit, maybe 2%, not sure.

By the way, are you sure about a DSLR? The micro 4/3 cameras have a lot going for them: small, capable, relatively inexpensive, and a decent range of lenses. They do say the best camera is the one you have with you, and small means easier to carry.

AndreaJ
3 Nov 2012 - 1:14 PM

Thanks Leif,
yeah, my Dad is subscribed to a photograghy mag, so gonna dig them out of his book shelves to have a look first.
My friend has just got a camera a little while ago and so I'm gonna have a few goes with it to see if I like those sorts of camera.
I only have a compact really and my phone and Samsung tablet at the moment :-(

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62431 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
3 Nov 2012 - 5:51 PM

Quote: I'm in the North East of England....anything up this way??

Sorry - since Jacobs (Newcastle) closed as far as I know there is only a third rate Jessops (by my standards) in Newcastle.
Apart from second rate (my rating) Jessops in Darlington and Leeds, and Dale in Leeds if you want pro gear there is nowhere Sad
This makes handling a range of cameras difficult in the North East or Leeds/Harrogate major population areas.
In the north west there is Wilkinson but your likely nearest branch in Kendal is small and probably 100 miles from where you live.
Wilkinson main branch in Preston is likely 150 miles from you and Calumet (mainly pro gear) in Manchester is further still.
A good starting point for prices from the main UK players is http://www.camerapricebuster.com

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.