Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Premium Compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lewis1997
24 Oct 2013 - 9:59 PM

Hi there,
In the market for a new camera, I've used DSLR's a lot and love them to bits but find it too disheartening to carry around everywhere and really want to get a compact camera that I can take everywhere with me. I've looked at camera's like the S110, RX100, LX7, new Fuji XQ1 ect. and they're all very similar but some have better lenses than the other, bigger sensor, better video, better manual blah blah.. It's very hard to make an educated decision when you can't actually take out all the possible camera's and try them all out, so I'm finding it very difficult.
If anyone has any experience with any premium compacts with good manual controls, RAW shooting and that take generally great pictures - but is also relatively small (NOT a stupidly large CSC or a Bridge camera which I have been recommended on other sites..) - I'd love to hear anything and also see any pictures taken by these cameras.
I'm looking at spending up to 400, but will be looking more around the 200/300 mark. I take mostly landscape, street and inanimate object photography in mostly black and white, and require a decent control over the depth of field. I'm also keen to start experimenting in Astrophotography, so a good shutter speed length is crucial to me.
Thanks in advance
Lewis Jones

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Oct 2013 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 113046 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 10:03 PM

Have a look at this.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-10-best-serious-compact-digital-cameras-16...

Ken

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314900 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quote: Best Premium Compact

You quoted both compact and sub compact Smile

Best compact is probably the Sony.

Best sub compact, ie coat pocket or hand bag there are plenty of very good ones.

The best is probably the Fuji X100s, but its not cheap.

Quote: NOT a stupidly large CSC or a Bridge camera which I have been recommended on other sites

Some of the CSC`s are no larger than a compact.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 24 Oct 2013 - 11:14 PM
capto
capto e2 Member 2982 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 11:33 PM

I have been doing similar research on similar models for the same reasons. I have downloaded images from these cameras and put them into photoshop for some pixel peeping. My conclusion is that if you hope to match a dslr with decent lenses you will only be disappointed, even with the more expensive compacts. This is only to be expected I suppose, you can't change the laws of physics. I may well purchase one eventually just for convenience. The image quality between a 200 compact and a 400 one doesn't seem to be that noticeable. The extra cash seems to just buy extra gimmicks that you may not want or need.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314900 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 11:51 PM

Quote: The image quality between a 200 compact and a 400 one doesn't seem to be that noticeable. The extra cash seems to just buy extra gimmicks that you may not want or need

Its just like anything else, you get what you pay for.

You can get APS-C compacts for as little as 500 or a full frame compact for as little as 2K Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 12:52 AM

Most versatile pocketable compact, IMO: Panasonic LF1 (cousin of the LX7 but with longer zoom).

Good video too with a choice of 1080 formats.

I use mine a lot. Smile

kit-monster
kit-monster e2 Member 103685 forum postskit-monster vcard Singapore2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 1:13 AM

I went through the same decision process a few months ago. After much soul searching and reading countless posts, I settled on a Sony NEX 6. Since then the dslr is gathering dust and is going on ebay soon. I've not been disappointed with image quality or the ability to carry on taking the kind of shots I like. It's nice to carry a lot less kit around and the NEX 6 has the same size sensor as my 50d.

galalad
25 Oct 2013 - 1:59 AM

From what you say you want you can't go far wrong with a Fuji X20 (or an X10 if you can locate one). They are compact, well built and have good image quality.

lewis1997
25 Oct 2013 - 7:54 AM

Hi guys
Thanks for all the feedback, it's all really appreciated.
It seems that, then, without spending more than my budget allows, a CSC might be the best bet for a main camera (which this would be). I said in my original post that I don't want a large CSC, or something with a huge 18-55mm lens whacked on the front, as this is too large for me to want to carry around unfortunately - so what about cameras such as the lumix GX1? Or the EP-M2 or something like that? I'm drawn to the GX1 as it is very similar to the LX7 (which I'm almost in love with) but with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. Has anyone had experience with THIS camera haha?
Thanks a lot again,
Lewis

Paul Morgan
25 Oct 2013 - 7:59 AM

The EPM2 is a nice little camera and it can also take a nice little EVF, Olympus had some nice deals on these were as they gave you a free 17mm prime, I`m not sure if that offer is still running.

Paul Morgan
25 Oct 2013 - 8:01 AM

Looks like that offer has been extended, it is still available Smile

http://olympus-17mm-penlens.sales-promotions.com/

neil163
neil163  3 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2013 - 8:38 AM

eos m best value light and upgradable focus is fine now

Steppenwolf
25 Oct 2013 - 8:44 AM

Amateur Photographer tested the cameras you mentioned a few months ago (RX100, LX7, S110, Nikon P7100, Canon G15 etc etc) and gave the Sony RX100 the highest marks and the best image quality. It also has the CX sensor size which will give a better control of DoF.

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 9:10 AM

Quote: Hi guys
Thanks for all the feedback, it's all really appreciated.
It seems that, then, without spending more than my budget allows, a CSC might be the best bet for a main camera (which this would be). I said in my original post that I don't want a large CSC, or something with a huge 18-55mm lens whacked on the front, as this is too large for me to want to carry around unfortunately - so what about cameras such as the lumix GX1? Or the EP-M2 or something like that? I'm drawn to the GX1 as it is very similar to the LX7 (which I'm almost in love with) but with a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. Has anyone had experience with THIS camera haha?
Thanks a lot again,
Lewis

The GX1 is a great little camera: very highly specified in a compact body and at the moment it is a ridiculously low price. Since I got it the GX1 my DSLR is now used mainly for wildlife and I will go weeks without using it.
If you want a 'pocketable' camera, the GX1 is more jacket pocket than trouser pocket: my other 'small camera' is the Canon S90 and really does fit in my jeans pocket without a struggle so the S110 will be good as well.

Paul Morgan
25 Oct 2013 - 9:47 AM

Quote: The GX1 is a great little camera: very highly specified in a compact body and at the moment it is a ridiculously low price

It was a great little camera, but as sensors go its a generation behind the EPM2, and its not all the much cheaper, it will cost about the same with a lens.

The EPM2 is about the best bang for the buck CSC at the moment, even without the free lens offer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&fi...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&fi...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2013 - 9:52 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.