Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Premium Compact

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ChrisV
ChrisV  7771 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 1:35 PM

I'd have to agree with Mike, Paul. The EPM2 might be [very] slightly better at higher ISOs, but I doubt there's much in it. The GX1 still has a 16mp sensor, the build quality is far better and [although it's subjective there seems a fair degree of consensus], the ergonomics are superior.

The kit with the collapsible 14-42x lens is stupidly cheap at the moment too - you can get the kit for as little as 300 and I can't think of anything on the market that gives so much bang for the buck. If you [the OP] don't need to worry about carrying it around in a shirt pocket, or anything like that, I wouldn't even think about anything more compact. If you want something more genuinely pocketable with still very good image quality, I think you're well guided with Paul's choice on with the Sony RX100.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Oct 2013 - 1:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kitz
kitz  881 forum posts
25 Oct 2013 - 2:50 PM

Another vote for the Sony RX100, fantastic little camera.

lewis1997
25 Oct 2013 - 3:04 PM

Upon reflection I think I am going to go for either the GX1 or the EPM2. I much prefer the aesthetics and lens of the GX1, however the free pancake with the EPM2 is almost swaying me..
I was tempted by RX100 but it's clear that, as a main camera, something more heavy duty is necessary, so thanks for those recommendations too!
If anyone who has a GX1 could upload some sample shots that would be awesome to get some kind of idea of the quality!
Thanks again to everyone who has posted back, definitely some of the most helpful bunch on any of the forums I've posted on
Lewis

ChrisV
25 Oct 2013 - 5:12 PM

This is hardly scientific, or particularly pretty photography, but here are several samples from my GX1 - perhaps it's a bit unfair as it has the 20mm f1.7 pancake on it at present [I haven't got the x zoom with me].

These are all ambient light - I used a mini tripod for the ISO 160 shot because it's down to 1/3 of a second exposure - hence the different angle.

100% crop @ ISO160 [f4.5]
iso160-crop.jpg
100% crop @ ISO1250 [f1.7]
iso-1250-crop.jpg
100% crop @ ISO3200 [f3.5]
iso3200-crop.jpg

I don't think the noise at 3200 is awful, but obviously the perception will vary according to subject - these little headphones are perhaps quite forgiving.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 25 Oct 2013 - 5:13 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 8:53 PM

Quote: however the free pancake with the EPM2 is almost swaying me..

I would, its a cracking deal, it uses the same sensor as the GH3 and EM5, although the GX1 has a few more external controls, its so old hat, its also the end of the line as far as separate EVF`s go.

The EPM2 also has a load of extra features such as live bulb and wireless flash support, and pretty good inbody IS, very handy if you ever fancy adding an old legacy prime or two.

I see little point in the seriously small compacts, if I ever needed anything like that I would just get myself a mobile phone Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2013 - 8:57 PM
lewis1997
25 Oct 2013 - 9:32 PM

Thanks for the images, it does handle noise far better than I expected it would!
The epm2 does look great, and the great lens offer is.. Great... But the manual controls that it has on body is nothing compared to the GX1, and I love the control it offers. I think the next thing I need to do is go and try the two cameras side by side in a store to see how I get on with each of them.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:45 PM

Quote: The epm2 does look great, and the great lens offer is.. Great... But the manual controls that it has on body is nothing compared to the GX1

Seriously the GX1 offers very little extra in the way of controls, it has no advantages in the real world.

I use both Olympus and Panasonic and found the GF2 and GF3 better to use over the GX1.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2013 - 10:46 PM
lewis1997
25 Oct 2013 - 11:09 PM

Hm.. I think more research must be done. Have you got any pictures that have been taken on the EPM2? Would love to see them!
Cheers
Lewis

Paul Morgan
25 Oct 2013 - 11:15 PM

I`ve got plenty that were taken using the EM5, the output is pretty much identical since both cameras share the same sensor.

Check out the work of Damian McGillicuddy here, he`s used most of the Olympus cameras for his work.

http://www.ephotozine.com/olympusimagespace

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2013 - 11:18 PM
Paul Morgan
25 Oct 2013 - 11:28 PM

There is also a useful blog here, I believe he is also an EPZ member.

http://yattang.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/olympus-e-pm2-experience.html

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 25 Oct 2013 - 11:30 PM
lewis1997
25 Oct 2013 - 11:39 PM

That's really helpful mate,
Thank you very much

mikehit
mikehit  56334 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Oct 2013 - 12:14 AM

Quote: Seriously the GX1 offers very little extra in the way of controls, it has no advantages in the real world.

I use both Olympus and Panasonic and found the GF2 and GF3 better to use over the GX1.

Alternatively the EPM2 offers little extra to the GX1.
Personally I find the GX1 interface far more intuitive than the Olympus interface - when I got he GX1 within an hour I was using the controls without removing it from my eye. But with the EM-5 I still have to think about what I am doing even after many hours use. There are many comments on the web along these lines but at the end of the day it is not 'better' but different accoridng to how you shoot.

While there is little difference in the level of control available, as for 'it has no advantages in the real world', Panasonic cameras have more of their options available through dials and buttons rather than menus which I prefer: the EPM2 is almost exclusively menu...after menu....after menu. As an example, on the Panasonic I can access 2 custom functions by simply twisting the mode dial - with the Olympus I have to do so through menus which means taking the camera from the eye and diving into menus. Also Olympus, irritatingly, do not have 'sticky' menus which means once you have set something and you want to alter something else you have to do so from right at the top of the menu tree: one of those little irritations that have me grumbling every now and again.
If Olympus got their act together on the interface they could have a real all-round killer (for me).

Edited to add:
Before I got into MFT I spoke to a couple of pros at different times whose comments were that they prefer the out-of-camera jpeg from Olympus but prefer to work with Panasonic raw files. I tend to feel the same. Of course, if the jpegs aren't 'quite right' for you you can tweak them which will remove the difference.

Last Modified By mikehit at 26 Oct 2013 - 12:17 AM
Paul Morgan
26 Oct 2013 - 1:19 AM

Quote: While there is little difference in the level of control available, as for 'it has no advantages in the real world', Panasonic cameras have more of their options available through dials and buttons rather than menus which I prefer

This is were many people miss understand cameras with fewer dials and buttons, there assume everything is hidden in menu`s, nothing is further from the truth.

Quote: Before I got into MFT I spoke to a couple of pros at different times whose comments were that they prefer the out-of-camera jpeg from Olympus but prefer to work with Panasonic raw files

Well if they were real pro`s they would be using camera color profiles and would of course totally see and understand that there is practically nothing to differentiate between a Panasonic raw and an Olympus raw Smile

The differences between the two camera`s are pretty obvious.

see here

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Oct 2013 - 1:25 AM
ChrisV
26 Oct 2013 - 1:34 AM

Quote: The epm2 does look great, and the great lens offer is.. Great... But the manual controls that it has on body is nothing compared to the GX1

Seriously the GX1 offers very little extra in the way of controls, it has no advantages in the real world.

[/quote]

That's a baffling comment Paul. I've got a a GF5 and there's no comparison with that and the GX1 - the latter is very much more of a photographer's camera (it's the entire ethos behind it, the GF1 and the Gx7, which are really a continuing series) the succeeding GFs and the PEN line have been more squarely marketed at those used to and moving up from point and shoot. Where are the direct controls for selecting aperture and shutter (let alone exposure compensation) on these cameras? You have to go to the top end of the PEN line before you get that sort of control.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 26 Oct 2013 - 1:36 AM
Paul Morgan
26 Oct 2013 - 1:59 AM

Quote: That's a baffling comment Paul. I've got a a GF5 and there's no comparison with that and the GX1

At the end of the day they are both tools Chris and both are equally simple to use, but that GX1 is now several generations behind the EPM2 and that GX1 is barely any cheaper and it offers far fewer functions.

As a back up camera to another CSC it would be great but as a primary CSC it is not something I would choose and it is not something I would recommend as a first CSC, certainly not here and now, it simply lacks to much functionality compared to the current crop of today's camera`s, seriously I would need to be a blinkered die hard fan boy to recommend the GX1.

The EPM2 is a fantastic buy at the moment including that free 17mm pancake.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Oct 2013 - 2:03 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.