Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best price polariser - UK

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
6 Oct 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm looking for a polarising filter. I don't mind whether it's circular or linear (circular seems more widespread these days as AF cameras have problems with the linear ones, but I suspect linear may be cheaper and I can use either), but it should fit a Lee square filter holder.

Any suggestions - brand, supplier - most welcome. Obviously I'm looking for the best quality for the lowest price. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Oct 2012 - 12:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 1:05 PM

Quote: circular seems more widespread these days as AF cameras have problems with the linear ones

In all the years I`ve used digital or autofocus I`ve used both linear and circular without problems, its a bit of a wifes tale Smile

User_Removed
6 Oct 2012 - 3:06 PM

For all practical intents and purposes, cheapo Chinese filters are every bit as satisfactory as expensive branded ones. You'll find cheapo Chinese polarising filters for square holders on eBay for just over 10 including postage.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 5:31 PM

I paid 1.77 for my UV filter via Amazon, seemed just plain daft to pay more for something that would just offer the occasional bit of protection Smile

Gone up a bit but its still cheap Smile

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Protective-Double-Threaded-Violet/dp/B004XY4GIG/r...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Oct 2012 - 5:33 PM
JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 6:01 PM

Quote: I paid 1.77 for my UV filter via Amazon

Is the quality of that filter going to have an effect on the overall quality of an image taken with a lens costing, say, 1,300 ?

Paul Morgan
6 Oct 2012 - 6:15 PM

increased flare shooting into the sun (an extra ring) apart from that not what I can speak of.

mdpontin
6 Oct 2012 - 6:36 PM

Quote: UV filter

But I'm looking for a polariser. Tongue Smile

Any advance on eBay?

JJGEE
6 Oct 2012 - 7:01 PM

As you have a LEE filter holder I cannot think of anyone else that makes a rectangular polarising filter, other than LEE Sad

But, they are not cheap circa 130 for the linear and 145 for the circular

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 7:27 PM

I have a Hoya basic circular polariser and it does the job perfectly.
They also do a Pro 1 range which would probably better for a dearer lens than my siggy 17-70,
I do use the Pro 1 clear filters on my L glass and cant fault them.
I always buy from Amazon...Just google Hoya Pro 1 and your filter size and you will get many results but Amazon are always dirt cheap compared to others and theres always comeback if something goes wrongWink

JJGEE
6 Oct 2012 - 7:35 PM

Quote: I have a Hoya

But Hoya filters, are they not, the screw in type directly onto the lens whereas mdpontin is looking for the slot - in type for the LEE filter holder ?

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Oct 2012 - 7:47 PM

Quote: I have a Hoya
But Hoya filters, are they not, the screw in type directly onto the lens whereas mdpontin is looking for the slot - in type for the LEE filter holder ?

Quite correct you areWink

Note to self....Read OP requirements before chirping upTongue

Hoya Pro 1 circular polariser isnt a bad idea though with its slim profile and he could then stack his grads as needed in his lee filter holder?!!

Paul Morgan
6 Oct 2012 - 7:51 PM

Quote: But I'm looking for a polariser

I`ve got a nice Hoya pro, used twice but its 67mm, its no good to me since going M4/3

mdpontin
6 Oct 2012 - 8:05 PM

Quote: Note to self....Read OP requirements before chirping upTongue

No, all suggestions welcome. Perhaps a screw-in type would make more sense.

mdpontin
8 Oct 2012 - 1:32 PM

To compound the problem, I'm going away for a few days....in a few days. That leaves me hardly any time to find, purchase and take delivery of a suitable polarising filter.

I've found a Cokin P-series polariser which I would be able to hand-hold in front of most of my lenses, so I'm tempted to go with that as an interim solution. I'm a bit reluctant to spend considerably more on a Lee square glass polariser, for example, if I end up selling my Canon gear and working exclusively with my M4/3 kit, that might be overkill.

BillyGoatGruff
BillyGoatGruff e2 Member 7191 forum postsBillyGoatGruff vcard England199 Constructive Critique Points
9 Oct 2012 - 9:47 AM

The problem you are likely to encounter when using a square or rectangular polariser is that to achieve its effect you will be rotating the whole holder assembly, thus making the use of any grads difficult or even impossible.

Lee make an adapter ring that bolts to the front of their holder enabling the use of a round (in shape) polariser and independently. It's 105mm diameter, requiring a 105mm diameter polariser -I.e. not exactly cheap.

This is what I use. My polariser is by Heliopan and is circular, not linear. It gives flexibility and can be used on all my lenses just by selecting the appropriate lens ring.
Additionally I have another smaller diameter which fits two of my lenses (67mm dia) without the use of the Lee system.

Not cheap, but the why buy expensive cameras a lenses and put something cheap (and possibly of poor quality) in front of all that expensive kit ??

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.