Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Slide Scanner - Grateful for any advice.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    WeeGeordieLass
    WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
    26 Dec 2011 - 2:45 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to buy a slide scanner and would be grateful for any advice on which one would be a good buy. I didn't want to pay more than about 100.

Cheers

Elaine

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Dec 2011 - 2:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    26 Dec 2011 - 3:38 PM

Unfortunately you won't get a good one for that king of money.

mikehit
    mikehit  46170 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Dec 2011 - 5:58 PM

You can get the Epson V300 which is decent quality flatbed scanner and can scan 4 at a time. You can use it for general scanning good enough for most screens and then send off any really good ones to a pro lab if you want higher quality scans.
    I played with the options for some time before getting the V700 and decided that because the images were taken with a consumer 1990s lens, they were not high enough quality to warrant anything more.

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4516 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Dec 2011 - 4:01 PM

I managed to find an Epson V500 on E-bay for 100 (ex display model).....& I cannot fault it !!!

I use it to scan slides & negatives, & the results are amazing !!......the detail is incredible, the downside is the amount of 'despotting' that's required
    to eliminate dust spots, & marks on the film, & faults in the grain of the film.......tedious, but rewarding !

I always thought my negs & slides were 'sharp' ?.......but using this scanner sure shows up their faults, & the quality isn't a patch on todays digital
    images !!!!!

Food for thought there Elaine ?????

strokebloke
    27 Dec 2011 - 4:55 PM

I've got a Plustek OpticFilm 7400, which cost less than 100 [or it did earlier in the year Wink].
    I'm pleased with it. It does everything that I expect and is at least compatible with my ability to use 35mm film GrinGrinca-280411-10a.jpg

WeeGeordieLass
    WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
    27 Dec 2011 - 7:44 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone..............I've just been looking on Ebay - I didn't realise there was so much choice! I'll consider the Epsons and Plusteks, The ION's and Veho's seem to have good reviews also.

I've been shocked with the quality of scans I received from Jessops, so have decided to get a scanner and scan my 35mm slides myself.

I know I'll have work to do to clean up my scanned images but Santa brought me Elements 10 for Christmas and I'm knocked out with the capabilities of the programme, so hopefully I'll be able to do a better job. Jessops aint gettin' any more of my hard earned cash!!

Thanks again for your time everyone.

Cheers

Elaine

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.