Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Best Slide Scanner - Grateful for any advice.

26 Dec 2011 2:45PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm going to buy a slide scanner and would be grateful for any advice on which one would be a good buy. I didn't want to pay more than about 100.

Cheers

Elaine

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis e2
10 1.5k United Kingdom
26 Dec 2011 3:38PM
Unfortunately you won't get a good one for that king of money.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
26 Dec 2011 5:58PM
You can get the Epson V300 which is decent quality flatbed scanner and can scan 4 at a time. You can use it for general scanning good enough for most screens and then send off any really good ones to a pro lab if you want higher quality scans.
I played with the options for some time before getting the V700 and decided that because the images were taken with a consumer 1990s lens, they were not high enough quality to warrant anything more.
Niknut e2
4 740 64 United Kingdom
27 Dec 2011 4:01PM
I managed to find an Epson V500 on E-bay for 100 (ex display model).....& I cannot fault it !!!

I use it to scan slides & negatives, & the results are amazing !!......the detail is incredible, the downside is the amount of 'despotting' that's required
to eliminate dust spots, & marks on the film, & faults in the grain of the film.......tedious, but rewarding !

I always thought my negs & slides were 'sharp' ?.......but using this scanner sure shows up their faults, & the quality isn't a patch on todays digital
images !!!!!

Food for thought there Elaine ?????
strokebloke e2
6 481 16 England
27 Dec 2011 4:55PM
I've got a Plustek OpticFilm 7400, which cost less than 100 [or it did earlier in the year Wink].
I'm pleased with it. It does everything that I expect and is at least compatible with my ability to use 35mm film GrinGrinca-280411-10a.jpg

27 Dec 2011 7:44PM
Thanks for your advice everyone..............I've just been looking on Ebay - I didn't realise there was so much choice! I'll consider the Epsons and Plusteks, The ION's and Veho's seem to have good reviews also.

I've been shocked with the quality of scans I received from Jessops, so have decided to get a scanner and scan my 35mm slides myself.

I know I'll have work to do to clean up my scanned images but Santa brought me Elements 10 for Christmas and I'm knocked out with the capabilities of the programme, so hopefully I'll be able to do a better job. Jessops aint gettin' any more of my hard earned cash!!

Thanks again for your time everyone.

Cheers

Elaine

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.