Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Value Monitor < 250 ish

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
10 Mar 2009 - 8:46 AM

I'm looking to replace my ageing 17" Trinitron CRT monitor. Any advice currently on the best "bang for buck" (as our friends from across the pond might say) monitor primarily for photo use with occasional DVD viewing. I'm sure that I'll get recommendations saying how wonderful Eizo etc are but unfortunately the budget really won't stretch that far

TIA

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2009 - 8:46 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
10 Mar 2009 - 9:04 AM

IIyama are pretty good. Consider getting the extra adjustable desk stand, and with the 10 delivery charge, you should still have some change.

User_Removed
10 Mar 2009 - 9:04 AM

I use a samsung syncmaster 245b. I think they are around 250. Resolution is 1900x1200 which gives plenty of space to work in. Less frustrating than the widescreen monitors. Worth getting a screen calibration device to get the best out of any lcd monitor.

keith selmes
10 Mar 2009 - 9:15 AM

The Samsung looks pretty good for photography, but it seems to be what I would call a widescreen monitor ?

Taxboy
10 Mar 2009 - 9:39 AM

Quote: The Samsung looks pretty good for photography, but it seems to be what I would call a widescreen monitor ?

Thanks for that - sorry to appear dense - why is a widescreen monitor problematic ?

keith selmes
10 Mar 2009 - 9:43 AM

I'm not really sure.

User_Removed
10 Mar 2009 - 9:45 AM

A lot of monitors are around 900 pixels high so the extra 300 makes a big difference. Nothing wrong with a widescreen format !.

sut68
sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 9:47 AM

We have an IIyama screen at work and to be honest it's pants, can't see what model number it is, but anything approaching 6-7% coverage or less, you cant make it out. Tried it on a number of systems [both Mac & PC] and it's the same. The viewing angle is at best poor too, if you sit anywhere other than square to the screen, you will get varied responses ... that said, we also have an old CRT from IIyama and this is top notch, so we might just have an early/poor model flat screen.

The Samsung we've bought in the last few months is the Syncmaster 2233 and that seems pretty good. Again, the viewing angle isn't perfect but it's way better than the IIyama.

HTH,
Paul

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 10:02 AM

Samsung or Philips. My wife and my daughter both have a Samsung and are very happy - and my wife uses it for photography and digital manipulation. I've always bought Philips when I could - 'Brilliance' is a very suitable name for their monitors, they always have great clarity.

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 10:41 AM

first of all the size is Irrelevent to quality so choose what you wish, I use 22 inch widesreen but would prolly go 24 inch now as they are cheaper.
Use a compare sight and check the specs out, The main specs to look out for are responce time, look for a monitor that has 2ms, check its accurate with the manufacturers website as most adverts claim 2ms but only peak at that.
Next ensure you have 1000/1 contrast ratio(not dynamic) or better and last check that it has the interfaces you need for now and future upgrading like DVI-D, VGA and hdmi

Thats why sometimes you see two monitors from the same company looking much alike but 50 quid difference, but above is optimised for heavy graphic use compared to office use.

Not sure what your budget is so I cannot recommend any but what i use myself but im sure there are better about now as this is a year old now. Samsung Sync Master 226BW
link

In fact here is the Newer version link

Last Modified By KevSB at 10 Mar 2009 - 10:48 AM
DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 10:57 AM

The Dell Ultrasharp range always gets good reviews, and there's a new 22" model for well under 200. Might be worth a look .....

Taxboy
10 Mar 2009 - 1:28 PM

Quote: First of all the size is Irrelevent to quality so choose what you wish, I use 22 inch widesreen but would prolly go 24 inch now as they are cheaper.
Use a compare sight and check the specs out, The main specs to look out for are responce time, look for a monitor that has 2ms, check its accurate with the manufacturers website as most adverts claim 2ms but only peak at that.
Next ensure you have 1000/1 contrast ratio(not dynamic) or better and last check that it has the interfaces you need for now and future upgrading like DVI-D, VGA and hdmi

Thats why sometimes you see two monitors from the same company looking much alike but 50 quid difference, but above is optimised for heavy graphic use compared to office use.

Not sure what your budget is so I cannot recommend any but what i use myself but im sure there are better about now as this is a year old now. Samsung Sync Master 226BW
link

In fact here is the Newer version link

Thanks for the link - although when I clicked on the comments peoples reviews appear less than glowing. Presumably this has not affected your screen. Budget is 250 ish as per thread title

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10826 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2831 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 1:51 PM

Different vendors actually use LCD panels from a limited number of manufacturers, mainly Samsung and LG. So, for example when you buy a Dell monitor, - the LCD panel is not made by Dell, - its made by either Samsung or LG depending on the model. Even Eizo uses panels from Samsung, etc, - Eizo does not make the panel.

Whats you should look out for when assessing monitors is which type of LCD panel technology is used. The cheapest, and worst peforming for graphics is TN; then there are PVA variants (MVA, AMVA) which are
better; then the S-IPS variants (H-IPS, etc) which are best, and may also be the more expensive unfortunately.

Heres a useful link, with more helpful links at the page bottom:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231339&highlight=ips

I would suggest you try to get a PVA or S-IPS for your money if possible.

Regards

Willie

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
10 Mar 2009 - 1:52 PM

In fairness the comments were made over a year ago and there is a note at the end of the review to explain some of the bad press. Personally I would still look at a 24in monitor with 1920x1200 res. Several around at that price bracket, have a look at the list on overclockers for example.

link

doug_7
doug_7  8482 forum posts England
10 Mar 2009 - 3:19 PM

As I told martinw on here, I bought this one a couple of weeks ago. I do not use it for gaming and it sits 5 feet away from my desk, I can clearly read these posts and is just as good as my JVC cart mon. All under 250.

BenQ E2400HD 24" Glossy Black Widescreen 16:9 LCD 1920x1080 Full HD DVI-D HDMI (HDCP) Multimedia 300cd/m2 brightness 5ms/2ms(GTG) response time 1000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio Vista Premium Senseye + Photo VESA 100x100mm 3 years on-site SWAP warranty

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.