Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Value Monitor < 250 ish

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
10 Mar 2009 - 3:38 PM

Quote: Different vendors actually use LCD panels from a limited number of manufacturers, mainly Samsung and LG. So, for example when you buy a Dell monitor, - the LCD panel is not made by Dell, - its made by either Samsung or LG depending on the model. Even Eizo uses panels from Samsung, etc, - Eizo does not make the panel.

Whats you should look out for when assessing monitors is which type of LCD panel technology is used. The cheapest, and worst peforming for graphics is TN; then there are PVA variants (MVA, AMVA) which are
better; then the S-IPS variants (H-IPS, etc) which are best, and may also be the more expensive unfortunately.

Heres a useful link, with more helpful links at the page bottom:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231339&highlight=ips

I would suggest you try to get a PVA or S-IPS for your money if possible.

Regards

Willie

Willie

Thanks for that I've done a bit more digging around & it would appear that a Dell 2209WA would suit - it comes with an IPS panel.

Any other users of this ou there care to comment

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Mar 2009 - 3:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

John_Wannop
John_Wannop e2 Member 954 forum postsJohn_Wannop vcard Wales
10 Mar 2009 - 6:26 PM

I brought two Dell 2209WA monitors about two weeks ago and so far found them great, they are a bit bright out of the box but turn the brightness down a bit and they calibrated very nicely.

John

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10866 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2862 Constructive Critique Points
10 Mar 2009 - 7:08 PM

The essence of the comments are true even if a year later, - dont be impressed by the manufacturer name, - buy the type of panel thats best for you needs!

Dont be drawn by contrast ratios, refresh times,etc for a graphics monitor, - they dome mean anything, - its marketing. Some of the most expensive Eizo monitors you can buy have contrast rations of 500:1

W

Last Modified By banehawi at 10 Mar 2009 - 7:10 PM
Taxboy
Taxboy  12197 forum posts
10 Mar 2009 - 7:11 PM

Quote: I brought two Dell 2209WA monitors about two weeks ago and so far found them great, they are a bit bright out of the box but turn the brightness down a bit and they calibrated very nicely.

John

John

Can I ask were you moving from a CRT or LCD monitor

contemporary dave

Have a look at the Viewsonic range - in particular the VP range. Once its calibraated, I've found mine to be very accurate on colours.

John_Wannop
John_Wannop e2 Member 954 forum postsJohn_Wannop vcard Wales
10 Mar 2009 - 8:18 PM

Can I ask were you moving from a CRT or LCD monitor
[/quote]

From Phillips 20" LCD

John

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.