Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

Best Value Monitor < 250 ish

Taxboy Plus
13 199
10 Mar 2009 3:38PM

Quote:Different vendors actually use LCD panels from a limited number of manufacturers, mainly Samsung and LG. So, for example when you buy a Dell monitor, - the LCD panel is not made by Dell, - its made by either Samsung or LG depending on the model. Even Eizo uses panels from Samsung, etc, - Eizo does not make the panel.

Whats you should look out for when assessing monitors is which type of LCD panel technology is used. The cheapest, and worst peforming for graphics is TN; then there are PVA variants (MVA, AMVA) which are
better; then the S-IPS variants (H-IPS, etc) which are best, and may also be the more expensive unfortunately.

Heres a useful link, with more helpful links at the page bottom:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=231339&highlight=ips

I would suggest you try to get a PVA or S-IPS for your money if possible.

Regards

Willie

Willie

Thanks for that I've done a bit more digging around & it would appear that a Dell 2209WA would suit - it comes with an IPS panel.

Any other users of this ou there care to comment

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

10 Mar 2009 6:26PM
I brought two Dell 2209WA monitors about two weeks ago and so far found them great, they are a bit bright out of the box but turn the brightness down a bit and they calibrated very nicely.

John
banehawi Plus
10 1.0k 3027 Canada
10 Mar 2009 7:08PM
The essence of the comments are true even if a year later, - dont be impressed by the manufacturer name, - buy the type of panel thats best for you needs!

Dont be drawn by contrast ratios, refresh times,etc for a graphics monitor, - they dome mean anything, - its marketing. Some of the most expensive Eizo monitors you can buy have contrast rations of 500:1

W
Taxboy Plus
13 199
10 Mar 2009 7:11PM

Quote:I brought two Dell 2209WA monitors about two weeks ago and so far found them great, they are a bit bright out of the box but turn the brightness down a bit and they calibrated very nicely.

John

John

Can I ask were you moving from a CRT or LCD monitor
Have a look at the Viewsonic range - in particular the VP range. Once its calibraated, I've found mine to be very accurate on colours.
10 Mar 2009 8:18PM
Can I ask were you moving from a CRT or LCD monitor

From Phillips 20" LCD

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.