Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Best way to extract in Photoshop (Group forum)

7 Jul 2010 7:50PM
Lets say you have a rather details subject in a photo that you want to extract from the photo. What is your preferred technique to extract the subject from the photo?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
8 Jul 2010 8:34AM
if i am correct to mean your point, you are trying to say the selection process,

personally i feel it is a most require and most difficult process, not a single tool can help you in this regard, and it completely depends on the condition of the image, if you take an uncluttered image suppose a completely black background, only magic wand tool/quick selection tool can give a good result, or if you want to extract a subject from a cluttered background, not a single tool can give you the result, in that case you have to use the tools in combination with the other,

another process i had found from a blog on the net, they use the channel (channel pallet) like blue/ green/ red where the edges of the subject is more defined and they also use level to that particular channel to give it more definition on the edges, or sometime they also combine two channels to make it as a selection,

but i do not follow anyone, i always try to mask out the subject in the large view, it is time consuming but easiest at least to meWink...
Glynn e2
8 1.2k 1 England
8 Jul 2010 11:44AM
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
8 Jul 2010 12:03PM
Very good technique above, if you want to extract a subject from an image (called A) to paste on another image(called B), place the image A as a layer and place the image B as a layer above that layer, just mask out minutely the subject from the layer below, if you are not sure about the success, just give a texture layer above all the layers to hide the fault, as simple as thatWink...
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
8 Jul 2010 3:53PM
ok i have uploaded an example at the group, because i can not upload here...
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
8 Jul 2010 3:54PM
oh here is the link...
stuwhitt e2
10 1.4k United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 11:19PM
If you have CS5 then this looks promising Smile
clicknimagine e2
5 221 88
1 Aug 2010 7:26AM
cs5 is way ahead i think...
SueEley e2
8 271 96 Wales
26 Aug 2010 7:52PM
Learning to mask with CS5 is quite major...... I note that their own video took a model against white (if we all shot elements of pics against plain backgrounds then we wouldn't have a problem!). My experience was that it was still quite fiddly and a bit unpredictable, but then I probably wasn't doing it the best way.
stuwhitt e2
10 1.4k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 9:25PM
Try this tutorial
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
4 Sep 2010 5:30AM
The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.
RogBrown e2
8 3.0k 10 England
4 Sep 2010 9:40AM

Quote:The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.

Pmsl! Smile
5 Sep 2010 10:29AM

Quote:The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.

Handy for big blow ups? Wink
SueEley e2
8 271 96 Wales
8 Sep 2010 7:49PM
Thanks for the advice - can't use the sound on my computer today (too antisocial and my headphones are missing) but look forward to getting to these tutorials...
SueEley e2
8 271 96 Wales
9 Sep 2010 8:49PM
The photobomb tool looks..... just like the real thing.......

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.