Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best way to extract in Photoshop (Group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72338 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 Jul 2010 - 7:50 PM

Lets say you have a rather details subject in a photo that you want to extract from the photo. What is your preferred technique to extract the subject from the photo?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jul 2010 - 7:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

clicknimagine

if i am correct to mean your point, you are trying to say the selection process,

personally i feel it is a most require and most difficult process, not a single tool can help you in this regard, and it completely depends on the condition of the image, if you take an uncluttered image suppose a completely black background, only magic wand tool/quick selection tool can give a good result, or if you want to extract a subject from a cluttered background, not a single tool can give you the result, in that case you have to use the tools in combination with the other,

another process i had found from a blog on the net, they use the channel (channel pallet) like blue/ green/ red where the edges of the subject is more defined and they also use level to that particular channel to give it more definition on the edges, or sometime they also combine two channels to make it as a selection,

but i do not follow anyone, i always try to mask out the subject in the large view, it is time consuming but easiest at least to meWink...

Last Modified By clicknimagine at 8 Jul 2010 - 8:36 AM
Glynn
Glynn  81169 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jul 2010 - 11:44 AM

This may help

clicknimagine
8 Jul 2010 - 12:03 PM

Very good technique above, if you want to extract a subject from an image (called A) to paste on another image(called B), place the image A as a layer and place the image B as a layer above that layer, just mask out minutely the subject from the layer below, if you are not sure about the success, just give a texture layer above all the layers to hide the fault, as simple as thatWink...

clicknimagine

ok i have uploaded an example at the group, because i can not upload here...

clicknimagine

oh here is the link...

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Jul 2010 - 11:19 PM

If you have CS5 then this looks promising Smile

clicknimagine

cs5 is way ahead i think...

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Aug 2010 - 7:52 PM

Learning to mask with CS5 is quite major...... I note that their own video took a model against white (if we all shot elements of pics against plain backgrounds then we wouldn't have a problem!). My experience was that it was still quite fiddly and a bit unpredictable, but then I probably wasn't doing it the best way.

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Aug 2010 - 9:25 PM

Try this tutorial

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 5:30 AM

The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73001 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2010 - 9:40 AM

Quote: The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.

Pmsl! Smile

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2010 - 10:29 AM

Quote: The new Photobomb tool in Photoshop looks interesting.

Handy for big blow ups? Wink

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 8271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Sep 2010 - 7:49 PM

Thanks for the advice - can't use the sound on my computer today (too antisocial and my headphones are missing) but look forward to getting to these tutorials...

SueEley
9 Sep 2010 - 8:49 PM

The photobomb tool looks..... just like the real thing.......

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.