Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best way to extract in Photoshop (Group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
9 Sep 2010 - 9:03 PM

Quote: Try this tutorial

Okay - that's more impressive - and easier to understand. Will have another go!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2010 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
10 Sep 2010 - 11:20 AM

If i am extracting someone from a background i often use layer masks and the Colour Selection option under the Select menu, can be tricky to get right first time, even second and third time but persistence pays off eventually. The history brush comes in useful for bringing back some lost detail. I rarely select images, or parts of, with selection tools anymore.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
10 Sep 2010 - 1:54 PM

I never thought of using masking (mainly cause I never understood it), however, just had a quick play. Amazing! I can see this being very useful in many diffierent ways.

Jestertheclown
10 Sep 2010 - 4:16 PM

I've heard of but never used masking for the same reason as David.

Does anyone know where I might find a (free) tutorial please?

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2010 - 4:19 PM

There's one here on ePz - it's a bit long in the tooth but it's still of some use. Much like it's author really. Smile

Jestertheclown
10 Sep 2010 - 5:18 PM

Thanks Boyd.

. . . any older and it would have been written in Latin!

SueEley
SueEley e2 Member 7271 forum postsSueEley vcard Wales96 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2010 - 6:59 PM

Masks are the best....

SueEley
26 Sep 2010 - 5:41 PM

The CS5 extract is very good - for some pictures. Watched Stuwhitt's suggested tutorial twice but still the tool doesn't do a very good job when luminosity of image and background are too similar (hope luminosity is what I meant.... darkness and lightness...) Have an image of people against trees with light coming through.... just doesn't work whatever I do. Back to the pen for that!

jarendell
jarendell e2 Member 795 forum postsjarendell vcard Spain2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2010 - 7:24 PM

Try this, hes a bit nutty though!Link

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  91354 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Sep 2010 - 10:53 PM

Dont forget that if you decide to manually paint a mask as opposed to using the quick select tool as in the tutorial, you can still use CS5's Refine Mask tool to refine the masks edges.

HTH Stu Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.