Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best way to store Digital Images

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    14 Jan 2009 - 10:39 AM

Morning everyone

Over the last 2 days I have been scanning through all my archived images on the CD's that I stored them on but what I have found is that some of them cannot be read by either my laptop or desktop pc.

Are DVD's more reliable than CD's as a storage option?

I do have a 500GB portable hard drive and im considering backing up what I can to that but im still concerned that a mechanical failure in that will lose what I have left.

Can anyone offer any help or advice on this as at present I have lost about 50% of my images from the last 10 years.

Thankyou
    Darren

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jan 2009 - 10:39 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

nobbies
    nobbies  6 United Kingdom
    14 Jan 2009 - 12:18 PM

Having had this problem myself I store mine on esternal hard drives as well as a secondary drive!

BubbaG2000
    14 Jan 2009 - 12:26 PM

Try the CDs out on another few drives first. Ask your friends/family/etc to use their PCs before you give up on them!

The way it seems to be going is to copy your stuff to at least 2 hard drives. Then when one of them goes belly up, replace it instantly! It all sounds a tad severe, but just think how you feel when you lose data.

bailey73
    bailey73 e2 Member 11357 forum postsbailey73 vcard
    14 Jan 2009 - 12:44 PM

Thankyou for your replies.

I am now in the process of backing up as many of the CD's as I can recover onto DVD's and an external hard drive, I will pop out later and buy a 1TB external drive and back them up onto there as well.

Thanks again

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jan 2009 - 1:01 PM

I use lots of very big hard drives to back mine up. Had too many CDs go off (thankfully not with photos on), so the spindle I have gets used for competition entries to the camera club, and that's about it!

collpicto
    collpicto  927 forum posts Scotland
    14 Jan 2009 - 1:12 PM

I think the best is to backup on a HD (magnetic) and CD-R or DVD-R (optical). I use internal HD and backup regularly (each time I reach 4.36 Gb) on DVD-R stored protected from light.

I check time to times that the DVD-Rs are still ok - if not I make a new one from the HD.

matt5791
    matt5791  10747 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2009 - 10:39 AM

Best way to archive digital files? have them scanned to film:

Here

Seriously though, one of the reasons I stick with Film is the issue of not having a tangible master with Digital.

Matt

Last Modified By matt5791 at 16 Jan 2009 - 10:40 AM
    User_Removed
    16 Jan 2009 - 10:50 AM

There's a lot to be said for having a tangible artifact as the ultimate back-up. Although digital media longeivity is improving, history suggests that all have the capacity to become obsolete at some stage, thereby requiring succession planning if you're to keep your valuable archive technologically current. Even so, I have yet to encounter a wholly non-degrading hard copy format. Instinct tells me that the surest way to ensure your images will be interepreted as they were intended in 100 years time is to store information *about* them, which is what a digital format ultimately is.

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2009 - 11:27 AM

Quote: I reckon I've got four or five copies of every photo I've ever taken

What? That's ridiculous! Don't you weed out the really crap ones first?

phototwink
    phototwink e2 Member 8phototwink vcard Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2009 - 8:33 PM

Glad I've found this thread (and it's not too old!), as I am wondering what the best way is to backup photos. Does anyone out there know: are more expensive/brand name DVDs any better than the cheaper ones, or are they all just as likely to degrade as quickly as each other? Thanks for any info.
    Anne

rikewoo
    rikewoo  11346 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Feb 2009 - 9:02 PM

What operating system did you have when you first archived the photos on CD?

If it was Win 95 or 98 is probable that it can't be read by XP or Vista, as they are not very compatible with the older OP's.

Have just looked at CD's I made 14 - 16 years ago and they are fine. I do also have an external HD that I copy everything to as well.

Ken

Last Modified By rikewoo at 5 Feb 2009 - 9:02 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.