Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Best Way to Travel with Photo Gear

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

WeeGeordieLass
WeeGeordieLass e2 Member 2338 forum postsWeeGeordieLass vcard England
16 Dec 2012 - 12:54 PM

I've been scratching my head wondering what is the best way to carry my camera gear whilst on my upcoming tour down the River Ganges in India in February, and would be grateful for any advice.

I'll be covering about 1,200 miles, moving around a lot every couple of days, using various methods of travel. and visiting some very busy crowded places. My Travel Blog website "A Geordie Up The Ganges" is www.ageordieuptheganges.com

My normal camera bag of choice, is a padded messenger type proper camera bag, but I need to minimise the number of bags I'll be toting around so I'll be leaving this at home.

I'll have one Nikon camera body and two lenses, a couple of filters, couple of SD cards, various other small items of camera related stuff like cleaning cloth etc.

As I'll have my main case to lug around (thank goodness it's got wheels), I feel that I'll only be able to carry one other bag, which will be a day-pack, rucksack type of bag which will have to double up as a camera bag and also a general bag for carrying the stuff that I'll need during the day when I'm out and about exploring.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer for the safe and secure transport of my beloved photo gear?..............also any tips on good rucksacks (for a mini person like me) would be appreciated too.

Thanks for reading my post.

Cheers All

Elaine

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2012 - 12:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2012 - 1:17 PM

Quote: Does anyone have any advice they could offer for the safe and secure transport of my beloved photo gear?

. . . pay me to carry it for you.

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95962 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 1:35 PM

I can't offer any useful info but have just signed up to follow your blog Smile

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
16 Dec 2012 - 1:40 PM

Lowepro makes some really good rucksacks. In mine (bought a few years ago) , I put the camera and lenses ...etc.... in the bottom part which is padded and in the top part, whatever I need for the day (food, anorak....etc...). There is a zipped pocket inside for your money and passport. On the plane it fits in the luggage compartment over your head.

Whatever you do, never leave your pack behind even if it's to take a photo few metres away from it or go to WC. Always place it on the floor between your legs when in a cafe, restaurant, train journey ...etc...

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 16 Dec 2012 - 3:44 PM
Andy_Cundell
16 Dec 2012 - 3:55 PM

I haven't really found a decent size 'day sack' for camera gear AND your own belongings. The lowepro ones are an OK size for an afternoon stroll but nothing more. I wish a manufacturer would make a decent size ruck sack with easy access to the camera AND adequate storage space!

I would go with Jesters comment, but I will undercut him!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96207 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 4:20 PM

Quote: couple of SD cards

Depends on what size but I would have thought that for this type of trip more than a couple would be needed.

WeeGeordieLass
16 Dec 2012 - 4:56 PM

Hi Jester and Andy,

Quote: . . . pay me to carry it for you.

Quote: I would go with Jesters comment, but I will undercut him!

Best ideas yet from both of you!...................How does Three Thousand Rupees sound? Main qualification for the job = Understanding Geordie!

Whoever understands this "hoyahammaawaheeyah"............the job's yours!!

Good luck both of you with your application for this vacancy.

Cheers

Elaine

WeeGeordieLass
16 Dec 2012 - 4:59 PM

Hi Alison,

You're a very brave woman Grin !!

Thanks for following along on my adventure with me.

Cheers

Elaine

WeeGeordieLass
16 Dec 2012 - 5:13 PM

Thanks very much Jean-Noel,

I've just looked at the Lowepro site - very interesting.............and not bad prices too! One of these may be added to my Xmas Pressie list Smile You've helped me a lot with your suggestion - cheers.

Andy - thanks for this advice - I'll certainly bear that in mind

Quote: The lowepro ones are an OK size for an afternoon stroll but nothing more

I intend to travel very light and reduce to a bare minimum the amount I'm carrying around with me during the day (cos I'm a wimp Wink) so maybe I'll manage with a normal size rucksack.

Thanks both for your sound advice.

Cheers

Elaine

cattyal
cattyal e2 Member 95962 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 5:25 PM

I've got one of the old Lowepro backpacks in my attic - I think it was an impulse buy and I discovered that I never did get on with backpacks so used it a couple of times and stashed it away Smile I can root it out for you to see if you want?

WeeGeordieLass
16 Dec 2012 - 5:27 PM

Hi Jeff,

The SD card question is another of my "scratching of head" activities lately, so I'm glad you've took the time to leave a comment.

The one I have at the moment is a SanDisk Extreme 8 gig.

I shoot in RAW so I think you may be right about needing more than two cards........................I had thought about waiting until I get to India and buying more cards in New Delhi - the prices should be a lot cheaper..............but I need to spend some time researching this on the internet.

Thanks for your very helpful comment.

Cheers

Elaine

WeeGeordieLass
16 Dec 2012 - 5:36 PM

Alison, that would be great if you wouldn't mind having a root around in your attic when you have the time Grin

Please let me know if you think it may be suitable and how much you'd want for it. My e-mail address is elainecook19@gmail.com

Thanks for your help.

Elaine

cattyal
16 Dec 2012 - 5:48 PM

Email duly sent Elaine Smile

scottishphototours

Re your need for sd cards etc, why not ask Pete on here to put you in touch with one of his sponsors to provide you some sponsorship in return for some pics and an advert on your blog??

If you don't ask you'll never know...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314818 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 7:01 PM

Quote: I've got one of the old Lowepro backpacks in my attic - I think it was an impulse buy and I discovered that I never did get on with backpacks so used it a couple of times and stashed it away

I did the exact same thing, purchased after a recommendation on here and it has never been used Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.